arrow_upward

Pages (2):
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Diskless Computer Cafe
There are lot's of computer cafe nowadays and different setups they do for low cost and I heard about diskless computer cafe. I just wandering how disk less computer cafe works? does someone here has a computer cafe?
I don't own a computer cafe nor managed them. But I researched a bit about that diskless setup. It's actually pretty easy to setup. That's why I wonder why people here in the PH charge 200+usd for it Eh

It works like this.
You install windows on a client pc.
Then you make an image file out of that installation.
You put the image file on the server.
Clients do PXE boot and use the image file on the server.

Apps are retrieved from the server.

It's highly suggested that you use CAT 6 + Gigabit switches for this setup because of the network boot stuff,
http://FreeVPS.club - Free VPSs!
(07-08-2016, 07:03 AM)Conan Wrote: I don't own a computer cafe nor managed them. But I researched a bit about that diskless setup. It's actually pretty easy to setup. That's why I wonder why people here in the PH charge 200+usd for it Eh

It works like this.

It's highly suggested that you use CAT 6 + Gigabit switches for this setup because of the network boot stuff,

What are the advantages using Windows instead of a small and lightweight Linux like Ubuntu Mate or Lubuntu?
Because Windows licences cost a lot of money.
(07-08-2016, 08:03 AM)Dudi Wrote:
(07-08-2016, 07:03 AM)Conan Wrote: I don't own a computer cafe nor managed them. But I researched a bit about that diskless setup. It's actually pretty easy to setup. That's why I wonder why people here in the PH charge 200+usd for it Eh

It works like this.

What are the advantages using Windows instead of a small and lightweight Linux like Ubuntu Mate or Lubuntu?
Because Windows licences cost a lot of money.

Well I guess Windows are widely use OS because it can easily understand and mostly know how to use it compare to Linux and correct me if I'm wrong only the server has the disk drive so if the server installed with Windows base OS then that all PC are connected to it will be Windows also.
Personally, I would think that Linux would support diskless better. We have all tried things that run on server than locally. Does it work like a remote monitor or duplicate monitor ?
ThanksĀ  @Post4VPS

(08-02-2016, 06:54 PM)meetdilip Wrote: Personally, I would think that Linux would support diskless better. We have all tried things that run on server than locally. Does it work like a remote monitor or duplicate monitor ?

You got your point as we know Linux use only low resources than Windows but the problem is new generations nowadays are mostly familiarize with Windows. Do you mean remote the monitor of the clients PC?
Diskless Computer Cafe basically runs its operating system from RAM. All computers have the same operating system and they are all identical. When you shutdown the computer all the data is erased.
(09-04-2016, 05:46 AM)Golden Wrote: basically runs its operating system from RAM.

Can you please elaborate this sir @Golden, I'm quite confused.
(09-04-2016, 01:45 PM)Vuluts Wrote: Can you please elaborate this sir @Golden, I'm quite confused.

All the computers start up from a shared network. The network contains a .iso of the bootup. The .iso is loaded into RAM which becomes the Operating System.
diskless works in most case with server master/slave.
or just networkboot.

server > client

the disk is located to the server.
Pages (2):

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post
04-08-2020, 03:33 PM
Last Post: humanpuff69

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting