arrow_upward

Poll: Should I get a home server?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes!
16.67%
No! Get a Raspberry Pi instead
33.33%
Use your PC for VMs and VPN for IPv6
50.00%
Total
6 vote(s)
100%

* You voted for this item.

Pages (3):
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cheapest home server
Question 
Hello guys. I'm thinking to get a home server to run Pfsense (to have IPv6 at home since my ISP doesn't provide it), Proxmox (because sometimes I wanna test some stuffs so instead of renting an hourly VPS, I do it at home)
I asked a friend and he told me about Dell PowerEdge R620, I saw it on OLX for 6000 EGP and when I checked eBay, all the prices was around $300 which equals 5000 EGP. Any suggestions? I don't plan to run much VMs nor store stuffs so 8GB RAM would be fine, and I can put my old spare 320GB HDD so that'd be very great. My budget is below 2000 EGP ($130 USD).
I'm totally in favour of using your pc to do vm and vpn to meet your needs. much easier to manage. also a beefier computer helps run things faster.

but that depends on your pc spec. though I'm still in favour of upgrade than going this route above.
Sincere Thanks to VirMach for my VPS9. Also many thanks to Shadow Hosting and cubedata for the experiences I had with their VPSs.
Maybe look around more? There are wholesale website that sells hardware for cheap although most are in US$ only but I am sure they will be able to process payment that are international since most of them use paypal anyways.
No one knows what the future holds, that's why its potential is infinite
Unless you have a spare and very well isolated room buying a real server is one of the worst ideas ever. It's loud and draws too much power. And the one you mentioned is tad bit overpowered for your use case anyway. I have a NAS running in my room and that thing is already loud enough that I have to turn it of during the night (actually use the automatic schedule to start and shut it down based on set times). If you wish I can send you a sound recording of our server room that runs multiple Dell & HP servers in addition to many switches. You won't last long in such an environment. I can also tell that it seems like Dell is way more aggressive with their fan curves than HP because the Dell servers we have (couple of Dell PowerEdge R630, Dell PowerVault NX3100, Dell PowerEdge R520 & Dell Poweredge R730xd) are much louder than the HP ones (couple of HP ProLiant ML10 v2, HP ProLiant DL120 Gen9, HP ProLiant DL160 Gen8, HP ProLiant DL380 Gen9, HP ProLiant DL180 Gen9 and HP ProLiant DL385 Gen10).

Of course a Raspberry Pi or similar is not going to cut it if you want to run Pfsense and VMs. So I recommend setting a budget and building a small and quite machine yourself. There are many options available actually. Like really small mainboards with all you need (enough RAM can be installed, a good CPU and even some PCIe slots for multiple network cards). There are small form factors PSUs that are very quite and efficient. You can build yourself a small, quite but powerful home server this way. For CPU I would go with AMD given the great performance with Ryzen and still lower cost than Intel equivalents.

My two cents.
[Image: zHHqO5Q.png]
(10-29-2019, 12:16 AM)rudra Wrote: I'm totally in favour of using your pc to do vm and vpn to meet your needs. much easier to manage. also a beefier computer helps run things faster.

but that depends on your pc spec. though I'm still in favour of upgrade than going this route above.

My PC is i5-3450 with 8GB RAM, it can handle VMware very fine.

(10-29-2019, 02:13 AM)Kururin Wrote: Maybe look around more? There are wholesale website that sells hardware for cheap although most are in US$ only but I am sure they will be able to process payment that are international since most of them use paypal anyways.

Can you mention any of them, please? I was searching on eBay cus I know if I didn't receive the product I'll receive my money back.

(10-29-2019, 06:21 AM)Hidden Refuge Wrote: Unless you have a spare and very well isolated room buying a real server is one of the worst ideas ever. It's loud and draws too much power. And the one you mentioned is tad bit overpowered for your use case anyway. I have a NAS running in my room and that thing is already loud enough that I have to turn it of during the night (actually use the automatic schedule to start and shut it down based on set times). If you wish I can send you a sound recording of our server room that runs multiple Dell & HP servers in addition to many switches. You won't last long in such an environment. I can also tell that it seems like Dell is way more aggressive with their fan curves than HP because the Dell servers we have (couple of Dell PowerEdge R630, Dell PowerVault NX3100, Dell PowerEdge R520 &  Dell Poweredge R730xd) are much louder than the HP ones (couple of HP ProLiant ML10 v2, HP ProLiant DL120 Gen9, HP ProLiant DL160 Gen8, HP ProLiant DL380 Gen9, HP ProLiant DL180 Gen9 and HP ProLiant DL385 Gen10).

Of course a Raspberry Pi or similar is not going to cut it if you want to run Pfsense and VMs. So I recommend setting a budget and building a small and quite machine yourself. There are many options available actually. Like really small mainboards with all you need (enough RAM can be installed, a good CPU and even some PCIe slots for multiple network cards). There are small form factors PSUs that are very quite and efficient. You can build yourself a small, quite but powerful home server this way. For CPU I would go with AMD given the great performance with Ryzen and still lower cost than Intel equivalents.

My two cents.

What do you use them for? And I'm interested to see how this room looks like, can you record a video please xd? Also I asked a friend if a Pi can run Pfsense or not and he said no cus the Pfsense needs two network NICs. What's that small and powerful board you're talking about? Do you mean like ODROID boards or what? About building another machine myself ... not sure but I don't like the idea, a server or a Pi might be better (I think?).
For your use case, I highly suggest using a Raspberry Pi 4B with 4GB of RAM. It does the job perfectly and won’t cost anywhere close to the amount you’re willing to spend. Just make sure you get a decent cooling system for it, since it doesn’t come with one.

Furthermore, things such as a power supply, keyboard, mouse, case aren’t included in the box. Unless you get the desktop kit. But you’re better off buying them separately from third party suppliers as that’ll be much cheaper.

In my opinion, it’s not worth spending that much money on a home server for your specific use case.
Thank you Post4VPS and VirMach for providing me with VPS9! But now it’s time to say farewell due to my studies.
yes you can setup hurricane electric ipv6 tunnel on a raspberry pi 4 and use it for ipv6 access in your home network. but you won't be able to use it as a system as powerful as a vm for experimenting. pi is still much underpowered for that.

i say you update your cpu and add some ram unless you want to buy latest setup.
Sincere Thanks to VirMach for my VPS9. Also many thanks to Shadow Hosting and cubedata for the experiences I had with their VPSs.
(10-29-2019, 12:38 PM)ikk157 Wrote: For your use case, I highly suggest using a Raspberry Pi 4B with 4GB of RAM. It does the job perfectly and won’t cost anywhere close to the amount you’re willing to spend. Just make sure you get a decent cooling system for it, since it doesn’t come with one.

Furthermore, things such as a power supply, keyboard, mouse, case aren’t included in the box. Unless you get the desktop kit. But you’re better off buying them separately from third party suppliers as that’ll be much cheaper.

In my opinion, it’s not worth spending that much money on a home server for your specific use case.

Yeah I can use the Pi to test stuff but how about how to have IPv6?

(10-29-2019, 01:05 PM)rudra Wrote: yes you can setup hurricane electric ipv6 tunnel on a raspberry pi 4 and use it for ipv6 access in your home network. but you won't be able to use it as a system as powerful as a vm for experimenting. pi is still much underpowered for that.

i say you update your cpu and add some ram unless you want to buy latest setup.

I still didn't get how'd people on my network have IPv6 if I setup HE Tunnelbroker on the Pi? Also for VMs I can use my PC as I said above.
@AmirGT

i will refrain from elaborating for now and provide you with some good links instead. here goes,

https://jon.sprig.gs/blog/post/960

https://github.com/ARMmbed/hurricane-ele...Pv6-tunnel

dont forget to enable routing and forwarding

iptables --table nat --append POSTROUTING --out-interface eth0 -j MASQUERADE
iptables --append FORWARD --in-interface eth1 -j ACCEPT
sysctl net.ipv4.ip_forward=1

it will work as tunnel endpoint and router. I think you will get a total speed of around max 8MBps or so, from the normal hashing and usb throughput rates on pi4.

you have one ethernet on it, so it is either another over isb or wifi sharing.

That is why i think a vm so configured is more to my liking. though more power consumption probably.
(10-29-2019, 04:10 PM)rudra Wrote: @AmirGT

i will refrain from elaborating for now and provide you with some good links instead. here goes,

https://jon.sprig.gs/blog/post/960

https://github.com/ARMmbed/hurricane-ele...Pv6-tunnel

dont forget to enable routing and forwarding

iptables --table nat --append POSTROUTING --out-interface eth0 -j MASQUERADE
iptables --append FORWARD --in-interface eth1 -j ACCEPT
sysctl net.ipv4.ip_forward=1

it will work as tunnel endpoint and router. I think you will get a total speed of around max 8MBps or so, from the normal hashing and usb throughput rates on pi4.

you have one ethernet on it, so it is either another over isb or wifi sharing.

That is why i think a vm so configured is more to my liking. though more power consumption probably.

Seems bad idea because SIM providers here don't provide fixed IP, also I couldn't find any results about mbed border router in local stores here. Any other idea?
Pages (3):

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post
10-26-2017, 12:09 AM
Last Post: Golden
04-18-2017, 09:16 PM
Last Post: Vuluts

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting