arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Corded vs Cordless Mouse
Nice topic to dicuss about.

I have mixed opinions on wired/wireless mice. I really like the light-weight-ness of wireless mouse, the added feature of poratability is ofcourse a plus as well. However, most gamers use wired mouse because they argue that wireless creates unnecessary input lag.

Personal experience, I used to use wireless mice and I really loved it, though it had a bad sensor so I changed it with a good sensor wired mouse. When I got the new mouse It was really underwhelming for me mainly because of the removal of the wireless feature. On the other hand, I no longer had to worry about battery finishing or purchasing new batteries from the market. So both have their pros and cons but currently I am accustomed to using a wired mouse and wouldn't like to switch unnecessarily unless I have no choice xD
Thanks to ShadowHosting and Post4VPS for my VPS 5!
Last weekend, while I was Googling something I discovered a whole library of interesting YouTube Tutorials by by a local South African expert (with thoroughness similar to Hidden's tutorials), including this one on the ergonomic setup of the hardware of a computer station. I've seen some before, but this one is spot on with practical illustrations. 

On corded vs cordless mouse topic, please check the section about his choice of mouse at the 9:15 minute mark of the tutorial below.  What is noteworthy is his theory of how a small "tradional shaped" mouse used over a long period of time can create repetitive injury - he favours a vertical mouse and says size is as important (to fit your hand) as orientation of the mouse.  Also he suggests that there should be as little resistance in sliding the mouse - so it should have an optimal gliding surface.  So I'd think cordless would be better in this instance, as corded does create some resistance or obstacles with dragging on a line. I'd imagine a vertical mouse would be mostly cordless. I've never used a vertical mouse before but am looking out for one now - should be fun to try it out:

Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
(10-23-2020, 07:18 AM)Hidden Refuge Wrote: ....... REMEMBER: wireless mouses/keyboards operate on the same signal range and frequencies as WiFi and bluetooth. USB 3.0 ports also cause almost similar but way worse interference (mostly due to bad shielding).

Thank you for posting this useful piece of information. Did not know that cordless mouses are so sensitive to electro-magnetic interference.

For me, I do prefer using corded mouses over cordless ones. I just hate dealing with batteries at all, TBH. Smile

(10-24-2020, 10:31 AM)tryp4vps Wrote: Thank you for posting this useful piece of information. Did not know that cordless mouses are so sensitive to electro-magnetic interference.

For me, I do prefer using corded mouses over cordless ones. I just hate dealing with batteries at all, TBH.  Smile

Thanks for pointing this out.  I missed it.

(10-23-2020, 07:18 AM)Hidden Refuge Wrote: About experiencing weird issues with the wireless mouse:
a) don't plug the USB receiver directly into the computer
b) use a USB extension cable and plug it into that cable
c) if you have to plug it into your computer try to avoid USB 3.0 ports
d) avoid pluging it near bluetooth and WiFi devices in your computer

This is an amazing tip @"Hidden Refuge".  Do you think this would be relevant for wireless keyboards as well?  As I now think this is the reason I had issues with my wireless keyboard.  I thought it was a bad connection with the battery, but it must have been the fact the USB receiver was plugged directly into the computer.  I've never used an USB extension before, so am going to check around tomorrow to see whether I can find one.  Will a USB Hub work - or does it also count as being plugged directly into the computer?
Terminal
@deanhills

This applies pretty much for every wireless device.

A USB hub would be 50/50. If you plug in other devices into it they might cause interferences, especially USB 3.0.

So a single USB extension just for the USB receiver of your mouse / keyboard that is placed far away from other USB devices and wireless receivers is the best idea. Has so far worked 100% for me. Even if I had a WiFi access point inside the same room just about 1 - 2m away from the receiver.

Just the other day I was using a bluetooth headset with my computer. The computer has no inbuilt bluetooth receiver. I have a USB receiver for that case. I had it plugged into my front USB 3.0 port. And in the second port I had a USB 3.0 thumb drive. I was wondering why my headset would not connect or would connect but not work... until I looked at the USB ports and realized my stupid mistake with the USB 3.0 thumb drive being inserted right into a USB 3.0 port that was less than 5cm away from the USB bluetooth receiver.
[Image: zHHqO5Q.png]
That Logitech Cord mouse is dead too. Well, it's still working but I can't move vertically. Its either impossible to move it or just really hard. It was a quite heavy mouse and I had to get used to it because I was used to those lightweight laptop mouses. So looking like I need another one. Now I'm using one of my old "Retired" A4tech mice. The Scroller wheel doesn't work but it responds really well and move really fast. Still, I feel a little uncomfortable with it because getting used to that heavy mouse. Because of the lockdown, I can't go shopping for a mouse for a while.

~ Be yourself everybody else is taken ~

(05-25-2021, 01:45 PM)xdude Wrote: That Logitech Cord mouse is dead too. Well, it's still working but I can't move vertically. Its either impossible to move it or just really hard. It was a quite heavy mouse and I had to get used to it because I was used to those lightweight laptop mouses. So looking like I need another one. Now I'm using one of my old "Retired" A4tech mice. The Scroller wheel doesn't work but it responds really well and move really fast. Still, I feel a little uncomfortable with it because getting used to that heavy mouse. Because of the lockdown, I can't go shopping for a mouse for a while.

Sounds like you are talking about old mechanical mouse because you have mentioned scroller wheel.

Believe it or not, this kind of mechanical mouse is not too difficult to fix if it is just that the wheel is not smooth enough.

I remember in the past I did fix many old mechanical mouses simply by removing dusts accumulated inside it. Smile

I use both cord and wireless mouse and both are gaming mouses. I use Logitech g402 wired and Logitech 304 wireless. They both are a really good mouse. When coading I mainly use 402 and when gaming I use 304.
To be frank I don't see any difference between them apart their a physical differences. I use both polling rates of 1000 and 600 for dpi.
Thank you to post4vps and HostDare for my awesome VPS 12!
Check My first ever opensource project Alpana Blood Donation Drive .
I'm lucky. I went through a period a few years back where I found so many corded mice on sale - dirt cheap - so I eventually ended up with quite a number of corded mice. I'm still using some of them. I don't have a specific preference, but I can see the corded mice are getting dated in technology of design compared with my cordless mice. My cordless mice are much smoother to use - I'm not even aware I'm using them.
Terminal
(05-27-2021, 09:25 AM)tryp4vps Wrote: Sounds like you are talking about old mechanical mouse because you have mentioned scroller wheel.

Believe it or not, this kind of mechanical mouse is not too difficult to fix if it is just that the wheel is not smooth enough.

I remember in the past I did fix many old mechanical mouses simply by removing dusts accumulated inside it. Smile

Well, It's an optical mouse with a wheel for scrolling at the top. It doesn't have a ball at the bottom which I think the biggest thing about a mechanical mouse. I haven't used such a mouse in 10-12 years. The problem with this one is this scroll wheel doesn't work anymore. But the mouse works fine. After that, I bought a cheap Cordless mouse which worked great for years. It's after that one broke I started having problems with every mouse I have bought.

@deanhills

You are lucky, indeed. Since my very first cordless mouse, I have yet to find one which works fine. I have bought 4-5 units so far and i could have bought an expensive one from all that money I wasted on those. Sad

~ Be yourself everybody else is taken ~

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post
12-29-2017, 10:45 AM
Last Post: Golden

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting