arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free Online Courses from Famous Universities
I have been looking for some cool online courses from few universities since the beginning of this lock-down and found some really good free courses offered by many famous universes around the world like Harvard.  There are several good sites which let you search thse courses easily. For Example edx.org. There are some courses which are free but if you want a verified certificate at end of it then you have to pay for it. Or you can just walk away with what you learned. Also there are real gems which are not listen in these sites but you have to manually search those university sites and discover. So if everyone else can share here what they have found from searching it would be great for those who looking for something to do while stuck at homes.

Decided to make the topic because I saw somewhere @deanhills mention about online courses.

Ok so lets started with something easy. Here's what Harvard university offers. These are totally free courses and page says they offer a certificate too. (There is no mention of a price so I assume it's free, hopefully). I picked up 3 courses, 2 related to Python and one about Mobile App development.

https://online-learning.harvard.edu/catalog?keywords=&paid%5B1%5D=1&max_price=&start_date_range%5Bmin%5D%5Bdate%5D=&start_date_range%5Bmax%5D%5Bdate%5D=&page=1

Also found this another Python course offered by IBM. It's free, but if you want a certificate then you have to pay like 39 usd. But I don't think most of us don't need a certificate. These are sevrel Python courses offered by IBM. Just search edx.org

https://www.edx.org/course/python-basics-for-data-science

Well I don't think all these courses has to be from those big universities. There are plenty of other places too such as coursera.org, udemy.com etc.

~ Be yourself everybody else is taken ~

Wow I see there are 64 free courses offering by online Harvard. That looks really attractive, especially they mention they will give credit with verified certificates.

I am particularly interested in the course for game development, which is about design of games like Super Mario Bros, Pokémon and so on, using Lua and C#.

Thanks @xdude for sharing about it. Smile

Great initiative, it seems some great universities are giving out their programs in edX. Eventhough certificates require payment as well as for submission of assignments. They should have given certificates for some excellent students for free. Then there may be more enrollment for the course.
Well learning is great, but certificates are required for young students.. Smile

Thank you  Sweet

Yes. It would be great to have a certificate along with the free course but something is always better than nothing. Harvard is offerings even credits for their free course that's something great for those who would like to attend to that university. Because these big universities degrees cost a fortune and with free credits students can save few thousand usd thought its not the whole degree fee. Also now Coursera has started paid courses conducted by some university which give credits for their degree courses. I hope this will become a trend since Student debts has become a serious problem for some countries.

Here is couple of small computer science courses by the Princeton university.

https://www.coursera.org/learn/cs-programming-java

https://www.coursera.org/learn/cs-algorithms-theory-machines

~ Be yourself everybody else is taken ~

While I don't intend to "bump" an old thread, I'd like to add onto this with a new type of course offered by Alphabet(parent company of Google) and Its called QwickLabs. The way its different is that it teaches you stuff about AI, VM, Cloud etc but actually offers you a vps where u can start a "lab" and learn on the go on it. The labs are temporary and close down after usually an hour but that is enough to practise on them.

While qwicklabs is a paid project, you can easily find codes online that allow you to launch a lab for free.
Thanks to ShadowHosting and Post4VPS for my VPS 5!
Also I will suggest mimo.... its UI is kinda nice and clean ......
I have tried it but its not free!
it gives you the starting lessons for free and after then you have to pay for the courses.....

Sorry but I have used its mod apk on bluestacks(so that no virus will harm my phone) and worked fine and all the courses were available for free.....

I do not encourage mods tho!  Dodgy

If you are very much curious to learn coding then try buying mimo sub.......
And before buying you can take the taste by their free lessons of each language course.....

happy coding :-)
Terminal
Thankyou Post4VPS, @Pacific Spirit (Hostlease) for a Free VPS!
+
Thankyou to @Neoon for a Free NanoKVM VPS

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post
07-19-2019, 04:55 PM
Last Post: xdude
07-04-2019, 06:02 AM
Last Post: deanhills
04-28-2019, 07:30 PM
Last Post: deanhills

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting