arrow_upward

Pages (2):
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Google Search getting smarter or dumber ?
(12-03-2019, 10:37 PM)rudra Wrote: (...)
it seems in their search for relevance and accuracy and contextual signal and all that, employing AI and what not,they are returning some really poor results sometimes..

This is just one example. But it makes me happy and hopeful, that may be other engines will get more of the share and loosen the grip with which Google is holding the market.

Such a monopoly is not healthy. It gives them just too much power to control publicity and exposure. not good at all.

please spread the word and ask people to use other search engines too.

oh...i would love if you guys can come up with similar examples of your own and post them below. thanks

When it comes to search engines Google was and still is (with some bias) the best, and I'm really not a Google apologist, quite the opposite most of the time.

But one should be aware that Google has INTERESTS (many interests); some are trivially mundane (like business-related stuff) where it algorithmically priorities certain URLs over others, others are ideologically motivated (like censoring certain Urls while promoting others) and others are (ahum..) US national security related (and we don't wanna go there :-) ).....

You see it's not all black and white and the 'smartness' of Google searches will depend on what you're searching for and where Google's own interest lays... In this sense, the Web has really changed from the times of the 'Don't be Evil' slogan thing.

With all the above in mind, I'll still go for Google Search doing my daily queries.. It's like as they say, better the devil you know...

In contrast, I was aware of the DuckDuckGo since it's beginnings back in 2008/9 (and I'm aware of its advocacy for privacy), but I've never really seen it as a real alternative to Google search.
VirMach's Buffalo_VPS-9 Holder (Dec. 20 - July 21)
microLXC's Container Holder (july 20 - ?)
VirMach's Phoenix_VPS-9 Holder (Apr. 20 - June 20)
NanoKVM's NAT-VPS Holder (jan. 20 - ?)
(12-08-2019, 06:47 AM)fChk Wrote: When it comes to search engines Google was and still is (with some bias) the best, and I'm really not a Google apologist, quite the opposite most of the time.

But one should be aware that Google has INTERESTS (many interests); some are trivially mundane (like business-related stuff) where it algorithmically priorities certain URLs over others, others are ideologically motivated (like censoring certain Urls while promoting others) and others are (ahum..) US national security related (and we don't wanna go there :-) ).....

You see it's not all black and white and the 'smartness' of Google searches will depend on what you're searching for and where Google's own interest lays... In this sense, the Web has really changed from the times of the 'Don't be Evil' slogan thing.

With all the above in mind, I'll still go for Google Search doing my daily queries.. It's like as they say, better the devil you know...

In contrast, I was aware of the DuckDuckGo since it's beginnings back in 2008/9 (and I'm aware of its advocacy for privacy), but I've never really seen it as a real alternative to Google search.

one of the reason that duckduckgo isnt poipular because the search result sometime just isnt as good as google but . duckduckgo result isnt filtered like google and doesnt piroritize google servie and kill it . google is smart on finding page and that is why google is preferred by other people and preferred than yahoo , bing and their competitor that lack the 'smart' that google has

so yes google is smarter but their filter make it dumber
Terminal
humanpuff69@FPAX:~$ Thanks To Shadow Hosting And Post4VPS for VPS 5
thanks fChk. nice post. yes we all think it is better to be with the devil we know. until we don't. just check all the famous and not so famous lawsuits and it will be clear. now even Google has turned into a behemoth and gradually stopping the nicer projects that differentiated it.
it is kind of human nature. so it is always better to have control supervision over corporate from government. and maintain good competition.

in the example i provided in the opening post, there is no justification to why Google would filter this real link. the one that really was at the top a while ago. except may be it just had lower number of back links due to it not being popular.

ordering depending on number of backlinks and context signalling words are never going to get any better. we think about what we want and what the meaning is. so when someone will invent true language understanding and ways to do semantic search at human level, that company will win over Google.
Sincere Thanks to VirMach for my VPS9. Also many thanks to Shadow Hosting and cubedata for the experiences I had with their VPSs.
Pages (2):

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting