arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linux Virtualization in Windows 10 via WSL2
New thread created from old thread dated 2018.  Moved to Geek World/Software Forum:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/

WSL 2 is an update of WSL1 for virtualization of Linux OS in Windows 10.
@deanhills

Wsl2 is now released. MS says it is fast and more reliable. I am currently using ubuntu 20 for test dev. I am currently thinking of using docker with my wsl2 installation. Do you have any other option? Or I just use docker with Virtualbox or install Linux on my laptop? I am very confused with this wsl2 installation.
I am currently using laragon on my pc. But I have to install every database that I am testing, which is a pain, and multi-database is also very confusing here. I hope to find a solution for my dev needs soon. I will upload more here.
(04-03-2021, 06:35 AM)debjit Wrote: Wsl2 is now released. MS says it is fast and more reliable. I am currently using ubuntu 20 for test dev. I am currently thinking of using docker with my wsl2 installation. Do you have any other option? Or I just use docker with Virtualbox or install Linux on my laptop? I am very confused with this wsl2 installation.
I am currently using laragon on my pc. But I have to install every database that I am testing, which is a pain, and multi-database is also very confusing here. I hope to find a solution for my dev needs soon. I will upload more here.

If you are completely focused on linux developments i woud recomment to either dual boot your pc or have virtual machine using WSL + docker is just more trouble as the WSL is not a "standard" linux but a subsystem running a linux kernel and ofcourse the high I/O is just another mess comes free with WSL if you developing something that requires high I/O WSL is not you should use. While some says dual booting is not good i found it reversed dual booting is the only thing that comes in mind if i want the best linux environment and the usefull ness of a windows pc. Hope it helps.

Regards
[Image: a3ad5cfbf5.png]
[Image: trk1]
(04-03-2021, 06:35 AM)debjit Wrote: ..... I am currently using ubuntu 20 for test dev. I am currently thinking of using docker with my wsl2 installation. Do you have any other option? Or I just use docker with Virtualbox or install Linux on my laptop? I am very confused with this wsl2 installation.

I would suggest you to keep using ubuntu 20 for test dev if you are already on it.

WSL2 from MS Windows 10 is probably more suitable for newbies to try out linux.

But if you are intended to develop more complex projects, it is always better to use native linux distros instead. Smile

I recommend Dual boot instead of wsl, wsl2 because it is mostly not fulfill all desires. also make your system dead slow. you never get maximum. also as you know that Microsoft is too far away to upgrade or release newer version of MS server. so compatibility is a big question mark.
Heart LOVE FOR ALL  HATRED FOR NONE Heart

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting