arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MegaFuse - Expand your VPS (from FreeVPS.us)
I've spent more than two days this weekend transferring a huge folder of files from Wayward Machine to my VPS.  I feel "very lucky" with the accomplishment as I managed to download 5GB of folders and files continuously and without a hitch for 2.5 days.  Like never stopped.  My ISP, my VPS Host, everything worked together like a charm.  I'll post a tutorial about this later on, but for now am trying to get a handle on how to work with a very large folder in my VPS. I need to know how to move the folder around in the VPS and the best way of backing the folder up when it is as large as it is.  I've been Googling tools for most of tonight and got excited when I noticed Hidden's suggestion at FreeVPS.us for using one's mega.nz free account as an addition to one's VPS:

Source: https://freevps.us/thread-22083.html

Hidden [email protected] Wrote:Mega.nz Cloud Storage + FUSE = MegaFUSE

MegaFUSE is a great Linux commandline application that allows you to mount your free Mega.nz storage - 50 GB - or your paid Mega.nz storage as a normal mountpoint in Linux. You can therefore directly use your Mega.nz storage to expand the storage of your VPS for free.

GitHub: https://github.com/matteoserva/MegaFuse

I've got a few questions, so will be grateful of some help as I'm new to this.

Question 1:
If I move the large folder that I downloaded over the weekend - 5GB - from the root of my VPS where it is now to the root of a public_html domain with SSH - what can go wrong with the moving of the very large folder?  Like what kind of resources will be used and what should I be watching out for - will it also take 2.5 days to be accomplished?  How about with SFTP in FileZilla - will that take a long time to move the folder as well - should I do it bit by bit instead?

Question 2:
I already have a mega.nz account with 50GB free space.  I'd like to incorporate (share) this with the VPS. If I do this, will I still have access to my mega.nz free account via the Internet?  I.e. be able to access it both via SSH and the Internet and be able to download the folders from the mega free account to my computer?  Idea being to use it both as an addition to my VPS as well as FTP client to my desktop computer?

Question 3:
OK - now to set my mega.nz account up with CentOS?  I've been looking for CentOS commands and not able to find any.  I checked the GitHub matteoserva link and doesn't look as though there is anything for CentOS.  Any suggestions?  Like what are the simplest commands to use?

I found this suggestion but it looks very complicated - I don't see anything about MegaFUSE in it? 
https://www.geekytuts.net/shell-tricks/a...-centos-7/

Progress Notes - a couple of hours later:

I've gone ahead and I tried the geeky.tuts tutorial (above) for installing the megatools and it worked!  I'm now set up to back my files and folders up to my mega.nz archive, however it's going VERY slowly.  Probably going to take longer to back the files up from the VPS to mega.nz than it took to download the files from the wayward machine to my VPS.  Will see how that will progress.  And also what resources it uses.  Will report back later.

If anyone else wants to use mega.nz for a backup archive of 50GB free - the above tutorial is excellent - genuinely step-by-step.  You need to create an account first though - so you need to go to mega.nz first to create an account.  If you check the tutorial you get to add the user name (email account) and password towards the end of the tutorial.

One important point if you're going to use the above tutorial with CentOS - I checked through the comments and one contributor suggested an update command for the dependencies command (the first yum install command) - so instead of the yum install command at the start of the tutorial, you need to use the updated yum install command at the bottom of the comments by the LinEdx user :

Quote:megatools-1.9.97 use asciidoc:
update:

yum -y install gcc make glib2-devel libcurl-devel openssl-devel gmp-devel tar asciidoc
This is of course not mega fusion yet.  I still have to figure out how I can add my mega account as part of the VPS.  @'Hidden Refuge', would that make the transfer of the files faster?  Or would one work differently once the account has been "fused"?  This is where one probably will find the step-by-step tutorial for doing this:
https://github.com/matteoserva/MegaFuse

Progress notes another few hours later - approx 7 hours:

The backup of the contents of the large folder from my VPS to mega.nz is indeed taking as long as I thought it would.  In the last 7 hours less than a 10th of the files have been uploaded.  It's also not as nice as when I downloaded it from the wayback machine with the wayback downloader as then it at least told me how many files are being downloaded and the status, i.e. how many have been downloaded out of the total to be downloaded.  I had to go into my mega.nz account to check how many files have been downloaded and there were approx 12 000 out of 146 694 total.  So this is going to take a long time.

What is interesting though is that it is not using that much of my VPS resources as it had been using with the download from the wayback machine to the VPS.  So not sure whether I have it correct.  The faster the move of the files, the more RAM is used?  Or do I have it wrong?

I want to complete the backup first before I work on anything else on my VPS so expect that to take the following couple of days.  Once the backup to mega.nz has been completed, my next project will be to move all of the files in my VPS Root to the public-html root of a new domain to see what the end product looks like.  Wonder whether if I zipped the files and folders first whether that would make the move easier and faster?
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
I would honestly not use mega.nz, if you ever forget your password it wipes your whole drive, this happened to me many times and I wouldn't go there again uploading my files.
Thank you VPSlices and Post4VPS for your beautiful VPS!
(10-23-2018, 10:55 AM)Golden Wrote: I would honestly not use mega.nz, if you ever forget your password it wipes your whole drive, this happened to me many times and I wouldn't go there again uploading my files.
Totally agreed.  I'm glad of this project I did, as at least it proved to me that mega.nz is not up to the very big task.  It's probably OK for a few gig size files - I've used it successfully for this purpose in the past and effortlessly - but for larger projects I don't think the free version is a good option.  It didn't work seamless with the uploads to mega.nz, at one point it just stopped uploading completely.
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting