arrow_upward

Pages (5):
Membership recruitment drive, posts and possibility of adding a 2nd VPS
(12-16-2020, 01:03 PM)tiwil Wrote: Since the sponsor already commited to sponsor to Post4VPS, they have to spare some resources for VPS at Post4VPS. It's true that the resources are not used when VPS is not yet created, but they have to leave it available for us. So whenever our admin create one it'll go through perfectly.
That's the general theory but not the actual standard practice hence why I hoped for an actual sponsor to comment on this. Granted that the storage space on the disk block might already be committed but certainly not the CPU (cycles) nor the actual RAM.

(12-16-2020, 01:03 PM)tiwil Wrote: If I'm not mistaken, hoster that uses OpenVZ, for some sort of reason that I don't really know, can use all the resources available up to their limit. On the other hand, KVM cannot. All VPS are fixed and they cannot use other VPS' resources. That's why hoster cannot sell the unused resource that they sponsor to us.
Not true!.. Overcommitting is true for both OVZ containers and KVM VMs. It's the second time, I'm faced with this rather silly claim!!.. I'm wondering who's fault is it for such widespread misconception?..

Check https://post4vps.com/Thread-Virmach-VPS-...4#pid35794

Check https://access.redhat.com/documentation/...g_with_KVM
VirMach's Buffalo_VPS-9 Holder (Dec. 20 - July 21)
microLXC's Container Holder (july 20 - ?)
VirMach's Phoenix_VPS-9 Holder (Apr. 20 - June 20)
NanoKVM's NAT-VPS Holder (jan. 20 - ?)
Well its true its not like provider allocate a whole dedicated resources for us but they have to issue IP Addresses for even these accounts.The problem is not resources are used or not but Sponsor is not getting anything until someone start using the VPS. Once a provider agree to sponsor a VPS or more those servers are there to use anytime. But the problem is unless someone claim the vps in a give away they are not getting reviews or signature links or anything. There are couple of VPS which has been sitting there for long without anyone taking. Another sponsor took the VPS back since nobody used it.

I guess something need to be done so every Sponsor gets at least one review topic within couple of months once they become a sponsor. Maybe given as second server, not for post but in exchange of Review etc. And some of these VPS need changes I think. Like VPS1, there are 6 of those, each with 1GB RAM, game servers allowed. If the sponsor can re-arrange these to be 3 VPS with 2GB RAM, 200GB Space, 2 IPs, now this will look very nice and it will create a demand for it.

~ Be yourself everybody else is taken ~

(12-16-2020, 04:41 PM)xdude Wrote: Well its true its not like provider allocate a whole dedicated resources for us but they have to issue IP Addresses for even these accounts.The problem is not resources are used or not but Sponsor is not getting anything until someone start using the VPS. Once a provider agree to sponsor a VPS or more those servers are there to use anytime. But the problem is unless someone claim the vps in a give away they are not getting reviews or signature links or anything. There are couple of VPS which has been sitting there for long without anyone taking. Another sponsor took the VPS back since nobody used it.

I guess something need to be done so every Sponsor gets at least one review topic within couple of months once they become a sponsor. Maybe given as second server, not for post but in exchange of Review etc. And some of these VPS need changes I think. Like VPS1, there are 6 of those, each with 1GB RAM, game servers allowed. If the sponsor can re-arrange these to be 3 VPS with 2GB RAM, 200GB Space, 2 IPs, now this will look very nice and it will create a demand for it.
In my experience not all sponsors are directly hands on.  The smaller the operation, the more hand son sponsors are as the VPS represents a proportionally higher value.  I actually enjoy the feedback and participation of sponsors as that helps to keep us on our toes.

But yes, we need to get those VPSs used more.  Thing is though.  We can't leave them in hands that aren't secure.  VPS is a bit different from shared hosting in that it is more vulnerable for abuse, suspension and even zero tolerance rules nixing it completely for the Forum.  So we need to also take proper care that the VPSs are placed in good hands.  The way we can check is with the 25 initial posts and 100 credit points that have to be earned.  One usually very quickly gets an understanding of the level of maturity and depth of care of the prospective VPS Holder.
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
(12-16-2020, 06:51 AM)fitkoh Wrote: ...... I also think it would be good to make the posting requirements a bit more strict. The goal is not to make it more difficult for people to make their posting requirements, but to structure it in such a way that will yield better content that is on subject. A few ideas:

*Whatever people are doing with their vps, they must make at least 1 post about it every month. Talk about the software, what updates you did, how many hits you got, anything related to the things they're doing with their free vps. This is also an opportunity for people to mention the sponsors, and it will make the sponsors feel good to see what people are doing with their products.

*Every month also require 1 specialized post. It can be a review, a tutorial, a resource document with valuable links to digital services they are interested in... but something more than a continuation of someone elses discussion. Have people write about something that is important to them but also related to the forum topic.

As an alternative to making these a requirement, is there also the possibility of adding "weight" to certain things? Could we make it so that a person creating a topic in a particular category (such as review or tutorial) give 2 post count instead of 1? This will encourage new topics of conversation and mitigate any supposed lack of good topics to post in.

I have to say I disagree with making our posting requirements any stricter.

Currently we already do not have enough active members in this forum. Requiring such specialized posts every month will just make the situation even worse.

Not to mention that not everyone would test new software with their VPS, run updates, or have interesting resources to share etc EVERY MONTH.

But I like your suggestion to add "weight" for creating certain new topics. That should encourage, in a positive way, members to create these new topics. Smile

(12-17-2020, 04:03 PM)tryp4vps Wrote: I have to say I disagree with making our posting requirements any stricter.

Currently we already do not have enough active members in this forum. Requiring such specialized posts every month will just make the situation even worse.

Not to mention that not everyone would test new software with their VPS, run updates, or have interesting resources to share etc EVERY MONTH.

But I like your suggestion to add "weight" for creating certain new topics. That should encourage, in a positive way, members to create these new topics. Smile

I have been reading from afar and I generally agree with this notion of thinking. I think adding diversity to forum topics and going outside of our personal comfort zones to create threads that people can post on will be the best strategy to create a more lively community.
Thank you to CubeData and Posts4VPS for the services of VPS 8.
(12-17-2020, 04:03 PM)tryp4vps Wrote: Not to mention that not everyone would test new software with their VPS, run updates, or have interesting resources to share etc EVERY MONTH.
if you don't run updates at least once a month that's a pretty sad state of affairs.

At the very least you should do security updates for your OS once a month. Otherwise you can put yourself in a very bad spot.
(12-16-2020, 04:41 PM)xdude Wrote: Well its true its not like provider allocate a whole dedicated resources for us but they have to issue IP Addresses for even these accounts.
Oh yah!.. I forgot about the whole networking part and, yes, the IP address is another commodity that should be reserved for use by a potential VPS --in addition, as said previously, to the disk space.

Managing VMs is an Art and getting the right combination between a Host capabilities and the number of VMs running on it isn' as straightforward as one might think!..
VirMach's Buffalo_VPS-9 Holder (Dec. 20 - July 21)
microLXC's Container Holder (july 20 - ?)
VirMach's Phoenix_VPS-9 Holder (Apr. 20 - June 20)
NanoKVM's NAT-VPS Holder (jan. 20 - ?)
(12-17-2020, 04:31 PM)fitkoh Wrote: if you don't run updates at least once a month that's a pretty sad state of affairs.

At the very least you should do security updates for your OS once a month. Otherwise you can put yourself in a very bad spot.

Security updates are enabled by default in Ubuntu.

No offence, but I cannot imagine how funny this forum will look like if everyone makes a post every month about what automatic security updates have been run in the background by the OS. Smile

We have been talking about 2nd VPS (and some others) for a long time now. This thread also already 5 pages full of our opinion and feedback about the new policy. I'm interested to know, is there any discussion about this in the Administrator circle? How is it going? Is there any possibilities to get 2nd VPS policy running soon?
Thanks to Limitless Hosting and Post4VPS for providing me excellent VPS 13!
I just saw this thread, I guess I'll give my two cents too.

I think addition of two VPSes per user will increase the activity on the forum but ultimately the number of users will still remain the same. Free services are often very crowded may it be free hosting providers or anything! So I kind of find it very weird that post4vps provides such excellent services for free and there are such low competition here.

I think one platform for great advertisement would be YouTube, I have seen videos of people promoting unethical ways of getting a free vps even for just a week and they have loads of views on them, so maybe if we contact such channels and show them the forum It would mean great advertisement for us. Personally I tried advertising the forum on a local gaming group however the admins didn't agree as they thought It would be too irrelevant for the group.
Thanks to ShadowHosting and Post4VPS for my VPS 5!
Pages (5):
lockThread Closed 

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting