arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please help solve this rtx 2060 problem
I have a friend I am trying to help solve a PC hardware problem for, but it has proven to be somewhat beyond my common sense and knowledge at this point. please help with your valuable suggestions and insights to help us on this. Thanks in advance.

The problem --

No display on monitor. We try multiple monitors each time. Acer, lg and asus 22 inch full hd ips models. 3 in total and they are working fine on another intel 8100 system we have.

Hardware

Gigabyte B360M gaming HD motherboard
corsair vengeance lpx black 2400MHz c16 8gb ram
intel 9400f i5 processor
graphics card rtx 2060 6gb AMP edition from Zotac
SMPS VS650 corsair 

All the parts are individually tested each time we bring a replacement zotac card. Yes. So we know that ram , motherboard, processor, smps, monitor and cables are in working order. we also have an rx470 to test on the 9400f system.

We have replaced the rtx gpu 3 times from zotac service center so far. everytime we bring it and check on the 8100 system and it is working. next we plug it in the above mentioned system and the monitor says no display input signal and thats that. we dont even get to see the booting screens.

next we plug it back on the 8100 system and nothing. something has gone wrong with the card.

then we proceed to check the other parts and they are as good as ever.

even the service center people dont know any better and they keep replacing without complain..

i mean seriously now !!  is this that rare case of continued same side up results in coin toss experiments we are witnessing or does this have any other explanation ?

thanks.

re.. please refrain from answering if you have nothing to say from personal experience. Google is my friend too, you know.
Sincere Thanks to VirMach for my VPS9. Also many thanks to Shadow Hosting and cubedata for the experiences I had with their VPSs.
What are the hardware specifications of the other system that has the Intel Core i3 8100 CPU?

Is the BIOS of the mainboard on the Intel Core i5 9400F up to date? Also did the AMD RX 470 work on this system?
[Image: zHHqO5Q.png]
(11-29-2019, 07:37 PM)Hidden Refuge Wrote: What are the hardware specifications of the other system that has the Intel Core i3 8100 CPU?

Is the BIOS of the mainboard on the Intel Core i5 9400F up to date? Also did the AMD RX 470 work on this system?

asus tuf h310 and a local made 600 watt smps. gskill 8gb 2400mhz ram. and the 8100.
yes, up to date and yes it did and still does.
Sincere Thanks to VirMach for my VPS9. Also many thanks to Shadow Hosting and cubedata for the experiences I had with their VPSs.
Thanks for the feedback / answers to my previous question.

So the Intel Core i3 8100 system uses a different mainboard with a different chipset. Given that the 2060 works on this system I don't think it is the CPU, RAM or PSU but rather something related to the mainboard and GPU combo in the Intel Core i5 9400F system. Cannot really prove it though. I have no to little experience with newer Intel systems as my first and only Intel PC was a prebuild one with a i5 6500 (older than both of your systems) and the OEM components had pretty much no labels or anything that would give hints to chipsets and such things. Maybe a different mainboard with the same RAM, CPU and GPU might do it?

On the other hand there is some kind of chance though that maybe the PSU on the i5 9400F system combined with the 2060 is having some kind of issues maybe? The AMD RX 470 is nothing compared to the 2060 in terms of power requirements and power usage. So that is the reason why it might work. You could test a different PSU in the i5 9400F system. Overall I think Corsair is a very reliable brand and I have used them before flawlessly. So I still kind of don't believe that it is the PSU.

To me it smells like there is some kind of incompatibility between atleast two components. Don't have enough experience or resources to reproduce or prove it though.
(11-29-2019, 08:29 PM)Hidden Refuge Wrote: To me it smells like there is some kind of incompatibility between atleast two components.
Thanks for all your time and effort,HR.

actually, I used online wattage calculators and also pcpartpicker. they don't point to any incompatibility as to this combination of usage of power.

Also why would that particular combo just damage the gpu ?

every time something happens when the 9400f, the Corsair psu and the card is put together... then the cards stops working even when used with other systems.

i mean this sounds very superstitious and also using "every time" to mean 3 times is not statistically correct. but that is what happened everyone. the monitor works. the cables work. the processor works on other boards. so does the PSU.

but they used h310 once and b360m twice along with that blasted i5 ,ram,psu and it just won't work. then use other processor on the combo or use other graphics card. it works. but the gpu stops working anywhere.

what is happening here ???
(11-29-2019, 10:50 AM)rudra Wrote: I have a friend I am trying to help solve a PC hardware problem for, but it has proven to be somewhat beyond my common sense and knowledge at this point. please help with your valuable suggestions and insights to help us on this. Thanks in advance.

The problem --

No display on monitor. We try multiple monitors each time. Acer, lg and asus 22 inch full hd ips models. 3 in total and they are working fine on another intel 8100 system we have.

Hardware

Gigabyte B360M gaming HD motherboard
corsair vengeance lpx black 2400MHz c16 8gb ram
intel 9400f i5 processor
graphics card rtx 2060 6gb AMP edition from Zotac
SMPS VS650 corsair 

All the parts are individually tested each time we bring a replacement zotac card. Yes. So we know that ram , motherboard, processor, smps, monitor and cables are in working order. we also have an rx470 to test on the 9400f system.

We have replaced the rtx gpu 3 times from zotac service center so far. everytime we bring it and check on the 8100 system and it is working. next we plug it in the above mentioned system and the monitor says no display input signal and thats that. we dont even get to see the booting screens.

next we plug it back on the 8100 system and nothing. something has gone wrong with the card.

then we proceed to check the other parts and they are as good as ever.

even the service center people dont know any better and they keep replacing without complain..

i mean seriously now !!  is this that rare case of continued same side up results in coin toss experiments we are witnessing or does this have any other explanation ?

thanks.

re.. please refrain from answering if you have nothing to say from personal experience. Google is my friend too, you know.

Judging by the fact that the same system keeps killing a card that used to work before on another system only screams one thing:

The system that’s killing it seems to have some sort of hardware problem. Could be a short on the motherboard, or something of that sort. It could also be less serious: maybe the port on the motherboard is messing up the connector on the GPU card. Inspect both and see if there’s any obvious signs of damage.

Try replacing the motherboard but keeping the rest of the components the same, and see if that also kills the gpu.

Also, try putting in a different kind of gpu and see if the same happens to it.
Thank you Post4VPS and VirMach for providing me with VPS9! But now it’s time to say farewell due to my studies.
Great idea @ikk157.

They have already tested different GPUs on the system and they worked normally (AMD RX 470 as mentioned in the OP). However as I mentioned before the RX 470 cannot be really compared to the 2060 anymore. So if the mainboard is indeed bad it could be that older cards are working fine but newer ones have issues. Another possibility to check and to confirm or not?

Also more hints towards that this is a possible issue are the other systems in that the card has been tested before it was put into the problem system. @rudra said the card work there without issues... later when they attempted to install the card into the problem system it failed again and wouldn't work in the other system after that. So if the PSU is no issue... and doesn't damage the card... it indeed could point at the mainboard doing something to the card.

Also I'm not sure if I asked this already but did you guys also update the GPU BIOS on a working system and tried the GPU on the problem system? @rudra
(12-06-2019, 08:17 AM)Hidden Refuge Wrote: ... it indeed could point at the mainboard doing something to the card.

Also I'm not sure if I asked this already but did you guys also update the GPU BIOS on a working system and tried the GPU on the problem system? @rudra

i have even used a z370 to test. something's messed upnwhen that processor, psu and ram comed together. so may be it is psu. but then other cards are running fine. so how can it be psu. weird.

thanks HR. i will do that this time. update the GPU bios.

also i forgot to mention this i think. what actually happens is system boots up, but no display signal reaches monitor. though system thinks it has display. cause it starts driver download automatically in windows update.

when i boot again with another graphics card, i see the driver download for the rtx is going on. so the real issue is this.

rtx is getting detected and system boots into windows. but signal reaches monitor from GPU. how can that be ?

i think this is the real issue.

and after this happens, the card stops giving output on other systems too.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post
04-16-2018, 12:19 PM
Last Post: perry

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting