arrow_upward

Poll: Would you like a IP to check VPS latency?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, I think it could be useful
25.00%
No, I don't need it
75.00%
I don't care
0%
Total
4 vote(s)
100%

* You voted for this item.

Provide a IP address to check latency for every VPS Plan
As the title says, it would be nice to have a sort of IP address for each VPS (sponsor/provider) to ping and to check the latency you can except for the VPS.
This idea comes from my thread regarding VPS Location and thanks to @deanhills with his message:
Quote:Usually when I check a VPS out before I apply for it in a Giveaway, I check whether there is a mirror service on the sponsor's Website, that would provide you with a test IP.  You then use your computer to Ping that IP to see how fast your ISP works with the ISP.  Sometimes you may find even though the location of the test IP is closer to your ISP physical destination, that it may be slower than another location because of the network and how the ISP is sending its packets or the other way round.
What do you think? Would it be useful?
Vote the pool and let us know your opinion!
Thanks to Post4VPS and Bladenodefor VPS 14
hey @LightDestory,

surely a good idea but imposible for us. as that is up to the provider.
what you could do is contact provider and see if they have a looking glass in the region.

but i will happy to see what others have to say.

greetings,
Perry
If I may add my two cents. Those who remember know that this suggestion has been accepted and implemented on FreeVPS.us in the past. The story of how successful this was isn't that good because of multiple factors outside of the control of FreeVPS.us or in this case Post4VPS. Things such as a) providers not providing such information, b) providers who provided such information have stopped providing it and old information was no longer valid and c) providers kept changing the information and it was hard to keep up with updates or even find the new information (most likely due to issues or abuse of the previous test IPs). In the end pretty much all providers that had such information stored ended up either being out of business or having stopped providing this information.

As nice as this idea is: think twice.

I'm not for/against the idea. Just throwing in experience with this suggestion from the past. It's merely up to the staff of Post4VPS if this suggestion gets accepted.
[Image: zHHqO5Q.png]
(08-22-2019, 02:19 PM)Hidden Refuge Wrote: If I may add my two cents. Those who remember know that this suggestion has been accepted and implemented on FreeVPS.us in the past. The story of how successful this was isn't that good because of multiple factors outside of the control of FreeVPS.us or in this case Post4VPS. Things such as a) providers not providing such information, b) providers who provided such information have stopped providing it and old information was no longer valid and c) providers kept changing the information and it was hard to keep up with updates or even find the new information (most likely due to issues or abuse of the previous test IPs). In the end pretty much all providers that had such information stored ended up either being out of business or having stopped providing this information.

As nice as this idea is: think twice.

I'm not for/against the idea. Just throwing in experience with this suggestion from the past. It's merely up to the staff of Post4VPS if this suggestion gets accepted.
You are totally right. You pointed out problems that will make a very uncontrollable situation for Post4VPS. I thought about this idea because providers seems very active in this forum, so I was thinking that communications between post4vps' staff and provider was "rapid".

Regarding abuse issue... I can't reply. There are non-so-serious people around the world but also serious ones, I can speak about myself and I would treat in a serious way a information such as a IP address provided to only check the VPS latency.
Thanks to Post4VPS and Bladenodefor VPS 14
a great idea to be honest my way of thinking is the same as Perry does, i don,'t think all providers will links us with their ips first of all we all do care about security, second if some of them does and other doesn't we will have a miss so i don't think this would be a good option for post4vps.
Watch this beauty till the end..

(08-22-2019, 01:59 PM)LightDestory Wrote: As the title says, it would be nice to have a sort of IP address for each VPS (sponsor/provider) to ping and to check the latency you can except for the VPS.
This idea comes from my thread regarding VPS Location and thanks to @deanhills with his message:
What do you think? Would it be useful?
Vote the pool and let us know your opinion!
Agreed with Perry @LightDestory.  It's a good idea, but too much hard work and like @"Hidden Refuge" said, looks good in theory but doesn't always work out well in practice. The way I've been doing it since joining freevps.us in 2016, is to check the sponsor's Website if I'm interested in the VPS.  In most cases the sponsors have a section where they discuss their latency and networking, and inevitably you'll find a mirror IP, one each for their different locations.

It's always a great idea to check through the sponsor's Website very carefully if you are interested in a VPS from the sponsor, as there may be information there, including the IPs that could be important to you.

If the sponsor doesn't have an IP for testing on their Website, you can always write to them. I've done that on occasion and they're eager to provide one usually.
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
as it was said above, there are ways like
1) looking for mirror ip from them on their site
2)writing to them.

Anothrr could be checking old reviews.

exposing ips is like exposing email ids. only help attract more spam after getting scraped by auto bots. or in this case bad attrmps to break in.

also this is a post for host service where staffs are working for free and webhosts are offering it for nothing with direct financial return. So we should not be devising new ways to increase their work load unless it is critical or 'do once use for years' kinda thing.

that was just my idea.
Sincere Thanks to VirMach for my VPS9. Also many thanks to Shadow Hosting and cubedata for the experiences I had with their VPSs.
I agree with the idea of provider giving some kind of looking glass for latency . If im not wrong freevps.us used to have those

but for vps holder to share their vps ip it will give a security and ddos risk to the holder and probably this forum so it isnt reccomended
Terminal
humanpuff69@FPAX:~$ Thanks To Shadow Hosting And Post4VPS for VPS 5
ipv4 are almost used up. so always keeping on reserve a couple of ips that you could use for other reasons is not very good also.

may be the companies could use ipv6 for this with propar abuse protection and security protocols in place.

and no one is talking about users sharing their ip. but they will have latency data feom which one could get some idea.
Sincere Thanks to VirMach for my VPS9. Also many thanks to Shadow Hosting and cubedata for the experiences I had with their VPSs.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post
11-13-2019, 04:29 PM
Last Post: deanhills
10-17-2018, 08:59 AM
Last Post: perry

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting