arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello there,
I have searched on many places but i'm not able to find a good solution or any explanation for my issue so decided to ask it here, I just recently got my hands on a i5-2500 with a Q67 Board. I have a Single Stick 8GB Memory, It was working fine for a week but after a week it started gives me blue screens and pc hang , crashed and alot. But when i do not use it for hours or so it works fine for like many manyyy hours. Even it is up right now for 3 hours.
I did MEMTEST64 and Windows Memory Diagnostic tool but it crashes and restarts my PC but when i leave my pc for a while the test run fine. Now i'm thinking is it really the RAM Module has died? Because i'm not sure yet. I cleaned the ram teeth(connector or whatever its called) with a rubber. Is it could a overheating problem or something else i'm not sure.
I'm thinking of to give it a clean with Isopropyl Alcohol maybe. 

Any suggestions what should i do before i send it for repair? 

Regards,
sAmI
Thanks to ReadyDedis and Post4VPS for the amazing VPS 7!

(12-29-2020, 12:07 AM)sAmI Wrote: Any suggestions what should i do before i send it for repair?

I think what I would try if you know someone with a pc that can use the same ram and swap it out and see if you can run ram memtest on it.

In your system settings (or whatever it's called on windows), does the system report the proper amount of RAM?

Your PC could be overheating but unless the thermostat is broken you should be able to check your cpu temp. Also, if it's overheating I think the pc will simply turn off, not freeze or hang.

Also, as you seem to be comfortable working inside the pc, you might try just buying a stick of ram (buy one with a good return policy) and test it out. If the new ram solves your problems you can avoid an expensive repair bill. If not, return the new ram and maybe consider sending it for repair. Although I wonder: the i5 is a somewhat dated processor... it might cost more than the pc is worth to have it serviced.
If I'm not mistaken there is lifetime guarantee for RAM. So you can just send your RAM to the repair station and get the repaired one later. If it's already soldered to the laptop/PC, Idk Sad.
Thanks to Limitless Hosting and Post4VPS for providing me excellent VPS 13!
(12-29-2020, 12:07 AM)sAmI Wrote: ...... But when i do not use it for hours or so it works fine for like many manyyy hours. Even it is up right now for 3 hours.

Of course before you send your RAM for repair, it is always better to try replacing it with another piece of RAM (if you have it) first.

But because your PC works fine after you do not use it for hours, it might be a power supply issue.

So I would suggest you to try replacing the power supply to see if it makes any difference. Smile

From your description, I think a faulty ram can be a possibility but it can also be a power supply issue. The easiest way to rule out ram would be to take your PC to a shop and ask them to try another ram. It is possible that your PSU is not able to withstand the load, and is crashing. I'd recommend doing this first before sending the ram for repair because if there's nothing wrong with the ram in the first place then you'd be wasting your time.
Thanks to ShadowHosting and Post4VPS for my VPS 5!
(12-29-2020, 01:25 AM)fitkoh Wrote: I think what I would try if you know someone with a pc that can use the same ram and swap it out and see if you can run ram memtest on it.

In your system settings (or whatever it's called on windows), does the system report the proper amount of RAM?

Your PC could be overheating but unless the thermostat is broken you should be able to check your cpu temp. Also, if it's overheating I think the pc will simply turn off, not freeze or hang.

Also, as you seem to be comfortable working inside the pc, you might try just buying a stick of ram (buy one with a good return policy) and test it out. If the new ram solves your problems you can avoid an expensive repair bill. If not, return the new ram and maybe consider sending it for repair. Although I wonder: the i5 is a somewhat dated processor... it might cost more than the pc is worth to have it serviced.

I actually got my hands on 2GB Sk Hynix memory turns out to be it was way too bad than my own and corrupted my whole OS, yes it does report proper amount of RAM and even it works fine for many hours.
I was thinking to get my hands on a RAM but the market seems to be closed for a short time i'm waiting for that the repairing shop is somewhere yes open. I'm ofcourse gonna buy one but i am trying to be sure if its actually the RAM issue i can't waste a good 8GB stick and if i buy new one turns out it gives me the same issue. Yeah i'm pretty comfortable in building PCs and all.

(12-29-2020, 02:18 AM)tiwil Wrote: If I'm not mistaken there is lifetime guarantee for RAM. So you can just send your RAM to the repair station and get the repaired one later. If it's already soldered to the laptop/PC, Idk Sad.
The lifetime guarantee on RAMS in Pakistan is on branded rams (Box-Packed) like HyperX FURY etc etc they give like 5 years warranty or so. 
(12-29-2020, 06:33 AM)tryp4vps Wrote: Of course before you send your RAM for repair, it is always better to try replacing it with another piece of RAM (if you have it) first.

But because your PC works fine after you do not use it for hours, it might be a power supply issue.

So I would suggest you to try replacing the power supply to see if it makes any difference. Smile

I'm also give it a try on Power Supply but honeslty it is giving me BSOd's which indicates actually Memory issue i have a GTX 1060 3GB in there as well though with a Antec Earthewatt 500WATT (I know not really a power supply but kinda working for me well), I'm surely gonna give it a try!

You didn't provide your BSOD code. How can you be sure that the faulty piece is the RAM?

Please provide real data not your suspects!

Do a system info dump and post it here. Get your BSOD report and find out who causedthe issue
Thanks to Post4VPS and Bladenodefor VPS 14
(12-29-2020, 06:48 PM)LightDestory Wrote: You didn't provide your BSOD code. How can you be sure that the faulty piece is the RAM?

Please provide real data not your suspects!

Do a system info dump and post it here. Get your BSOD report and find out who causedthe issue

Well, I do not have dump file to provide as it is not enabled and i cannot seem to find it and actually how i'm sure well i did get MEMORY_MANAGEMENT & KERNAL_MODE_TRAP and different sort of BSOD so that is why i actually thought it could be the ram, Also mentioned in the post that Windows Diagnostic Memory Tool does restart after like 10-20% I'm sure it's RAM but this weird behavior of like working for hours and all didn't quiet seem nice though, And i think i'm kinda good at suspecting the error so i clearly mentioned it's a RAM issue.

(12-29-2020, 09:43 PM)sAmI Wrote: Well, I do not have dump file to provide as it is not enabled and i cannot seem to find it and actually how i'm sure well i did get MEMORY_MANAGEMENT & KERNAL_MODE_TRAP and different sort of BSOD so that is why i actually thought it could be the ram, Also mentioned in the post that Windows Diagnostic Memory Tool does restart after like 10-20% I'm sure it's RAM but this weird behavior of like working for hours and all didn't quiet seem nice though, And i think i'm kinda good at suspecting the error so i clearly mentioned it's a RAM issue.

You must provide more information. You are just suspicious of RAM issue but it can be a storage issue, a motherboard issue.

Use Windows' Event registry to get the information about the critical errors that occurred at a specific time. Enable memory dump on BSOD and check WHICH process caused it.

It is essential to know these information to do a proper diagnosis
Thanks to Post4VPS and Bladenodefor VPS 14
You should disable auto restart on system fault. Also I would like to mention that lifetime warranty on those branded box packed rams from corsair etc are not really lifetime long. They are usually 10 years. Though I am sure they are within that time scale yet.

From your problem description it seems likely that it may be coming from RAM or board. But it may as well be something with the psu. you never know these things untill you do a proper swap test with a good system or with good alternate items.

You could also run a live linux system and try doing some tests on that OS.

how about borrowing or buying an used ram ?

last but not the least, It is still considered to be a good enough system for our day to day normal computing tasks. Many are still using it here for some baseline gaming.
Sincere Thanks to VirMach for my VPS9. Also many thanks to Shadow Hosting and cubedata for the experiences I had with their VPSs.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post
02-07-2021, 10:00 AM
Last Post: OldMeister
08-28-2018, 01:09 PM
Last Post: Kururin

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting