arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recommendable Movies
(05-16-2021, 07:32 PM)deanhills Wrote: @xdude.  Gods must be Crazy is awesome.  The Director and Creator of the show is a well known guy in South Africa Jamie Uys.  I totally recommend this movie.  Jamie Uys took ages with each and every scene that got almost handcrafted on a one on one basis. He developed and nurtured a very special relationship with the Bushman as well as any of the actors in his movies. Everything in that movie is genuine and sincere, including the Bushman from the Kalahari.  You can read more about this from here.
https://www.nytimes.com/1985/04/28/movie...l-hit.html

Yep. It's a great movie. There are many stories about it. The Bushman's real name's Nǃxau. It seems he was paid only 300 USD for the first movie and he had no idea what to do with that at that time. But when they made the second movie he negotiated to get half a million USD. Probably with someone else help. I don't think even that didn't help him much since he just bought a used car and built a brick house.

Another really good movie to watch is this one called The Tournament (2009). If you like Action Thriller movies then this is a must-watch. It's simply nonstop action from start to end. 95% action and 5% everything. This is one of the pure-blooded action-thriller movies. It's hard to believe the movie budget was only 8 million USD. It's unfortunate they couldn't secure a good distributor for the movie which result in less popularity. Plus whoever made the Trailer
had done a terrible job compared to how amazing the movie is. Which makes the movie looks like a terrible B movie.

I suggest you guys going directly to the movie rather than watching the trailer. I often see trailers are amazing and movies suck but this is one where it's the total opposite.

~ Be yourself everybody else is taken ~

There is another great non-Hollywood movie I can recommend to you guys. It's a Sri Lankan movie where is there virtually no real movie industry. Machan (2008),  An Italian-Sri Lankan comedy film written, directed and produced by Uberto Pasolini.

The story is quite interesting and pretty amazing. It even makes it better because the whole thing was based on a true story. 2 friends from a slum area trying to migrate to Europe get rejected. Accidently they find this an invitation to a handball tournament in Germany in a new paper. They create a fake handball team so they could get into Germany. The fake team becomes real when they get "members", few Afghans, a policeman, a gravedigger, etc.  People from all sorts of backgrounds, races, and religions. Their plan is to get Germany and then vanish but that doesn't work since organizers waiting for them at Ari port. They had to work through their differences and play a game they even never heard of. Germany Police raid their hotel to find they have vanished without a trace.

Not a type of movie I would usually watch but I found this one is something worth watching. It's interesting, funny and makes you want to watch till the end. Also, it shows when we are desperate how people forget about their nationalities, races, religions and work together for the common good. I don't even know if this is a commercial movie but I read it won a bunch of international awards. You can find it in Youtube if you want to watch it.

[Image: Machan_theatrical_poster.jpg]

Hello there!
I wanna recommend people watching BirdBox, It's not that much of a old movie but it's a Horror/Suspense Movie and it was quite good. The only thing i would like to see if they would have shown what the people actually see when they start to kill themselves!

Quote:n a post-apocalyptic world, Malorie Hayes advises two young, unnamed children that they will be going down a river in a rowboat. She sternly instructs them to not remove their blindfolds, or they will die. From this point, the film alternates between two stages of Malorie's story, separated by five years, until they conjoin: trying to navigate the river and the events that led to it.

Five years earlier, a pregnant Malorie is visited by her sister, Jessica. There is a news report on TV about unexplained mass suicides in Romania, quickly spreading across Europe. At a routine checkup at the hospital, Malorie sees a woman bashing her head into a window, then others panicking as chaos erupts. Jessica sees the entity, deliberately drives her car erratically, overturns it, and then she kills herself by walking in front of an oncoming truck.

As Malorie flees on foot, a woman invites her into a house for safety, even though her husband strongly protests. The woman sees the entity, goes into a trance, talks to her dead mother, and then sits inside a burning car, which quickly explodes. A passerby, Tom, picks up Malorie from the street, and they are let into the house, where about a dozen other people are taking shelter. One is a man employed by a grocery store, who theorizes that demonic entities have invaded Earth, driving people insane. The refugees in the house cover all the windows, and blindfold themselves whenever they go out. The house's owner offers to monitor the surveillance cameras to watch the entities indirectly, but he kills himself by violently smashing his own skull.

IMDb : 6.6/10
Rotten Tomatoes : 63% Percent

Moderator Note: Replaced code tags with quote tags
Thanks to ReadyDedis and Post4VPS for the amazing VPS 7!

FAST AND FURIOUS 9
 Released in 2021

IMDb Rating:     5.6/10
Director:          Justin Lin
Writers:            Daniel Casey, Justin Lin
Stars:               Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Jordana Brewster
Genres:             Action, Adventure, Crime

IMDb Link

Official Trailer :

Well, I can recommend this movie to everyone for sure since i have watched all movies of FAST AND FURIOUS and their 9th one is no less than any great and the ratings it got on IDMB are not good but i don't agree with it since the movie has some great action scenes and some great cars stunt.

If i have to give ratings to this movie i would give 9/10 without any doubt.

Moderator Warning (Note: Please don't respond to this post in the discussion):  

You're posting in a section of the Forum where you earn credit points. The topic of this discussion asks for movies to be recommended.  So when one recommends a movie you have to tell us what it is that you liked about the movie in your own words.   

Technically no one should earn points for copy paste that hasn't been put into quote tags.  As you're getting points that don't really belong to you.  Also, if there isn't a proper discussion that shows us that you've watched the movie/s and why you would recommend it to members of the Forum then it breaks our Forum Rules and will be deleted.

Please don't just copy and paste all the info of the movie.  We want to see in your own words why you recommend the movie, what the movie was about, and what it is you liked about it.  The recommend discussion should be posted right up in the first paragraph of your post.  You can then easily link the movie and the year of the movie to a Web page that has info about the movie.  

If you feel copy paste info is important, then PLEASE put it in quote tags, as technically that part of the post was not written by you.  You shouldn't be earning credit points for copy paste material that isn't your own writing.
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
@sAmI

You should avoid using the Code tags to quote the movie's plot. Instead, use the quote tags.

Why?... Read this warning:

(05-25-2021, 07:50 PM)deanhills Wrote:
You're posting in a section of the Forum where you earn credit points. The topic of this discussion asks for movies to be recommended.  So when one recommends a movie you have to tell us what it is that you liked about the movie in your own words.   

Technically no one should earn points for copy paste that hasn't been put into quote tags.  As you're getting points that don't really belong to you.  Also, if there isn't a proper discussion that shows us that you've watched the movie/s and why you would recommend it to members of the Forum then it breaks our Forum Rules and will be deleted.

Please don't just copy and paste all the info of the movie.  We want to see in your own words why you recommend the movie, what the movie was about, and what it is you liked about it.  The recommend discussion should be posted right up in the first paragraph of your post.  You can then easily link the movie and the year of the movie to a Web page that has info about the movie.  

If you feel copy paste info is important, then PLEASE put it in quote tags, as technically that part of the post was not written by you.  You shouldn't be earning credit points for copy paste material that isn't your own writing.

So, @sAmI, edit your post and replace the tags accordingly. Thanks!..

@deanhills

It looks like the use of the 'Code tags' instead of the 'quote tags' is a common practice in the 'The Last Movie You Watched' forum!!

I usually don't check on that forum !.. But I just go through it and noticed that @LightDestory -in particular- was doing it all along!.. Thus, if that forum earns credit points too, I wouldn't be surprised if @LightDestory will be a thousand credit points short!..

Please folks!.. respect the semantics of HTML tags for fairness' sake

For this thread, I would appreciate it if folks don't quote movie's plot at all nor any other trivial info about the movie that one can get from the Rotten Tomatoes's or IMDB's pages.

Here is what should be stated:
(05-11-2021, 12:48 AM)fChk Wrote: 1- Reference the movie: title + release year + an RT or IMDB link.
This way we all unequivocally know which movie the poster is talking about and we also know all the info about it (including the genre, cast, plot etc...) from a trusted source + a score.

2- A personal take(/opinion) on that movie, which is the poster justification of why he's recommending it. Of course, this is the most important and, from experience, it can go from being well-thought-of to a highly subjective justification.

3- The most enthusiasts among us have to limit the number of titles to 5 per posts associated with their expected info.

The only text that should show up in this thread's posts (beside the title (Release_Year) RT-Link or IMDB-Link) is n°2, ie your personal opinion as to why you're recommending that movie.

Thanks!..
VirMach's Buffalo_VPS-9 Holder (Dec. 20 - July 21)
microLXC's Container Holder (july 20 - ?)
VirMach's Phoenix_VPS-9 Holder (Apr. 20 - June 20)
NanoKVM's NAT-VPS Holder (jan. 20 - ?)
[Image: UHRKEQU.jpg]

Kikujiro / 1999 / Japan / 7.8 out of 10 Rating on IMDb

Kikujiro is a brilliant drama comedy masterpiece coming from Japan by the famous and great Takeshi Kitano (also known as Beat Takeshi - movies like Outrage, Violent Cop, Fireworks). He is the writer, director and plays one the main roles. I highly recommend it because it simply said is a very good movie. Everything is done well, the acting, the comedy parts and everything else. The movie has funny scenes but also a lot of sad scenes (hence why drama comedy). The two main characters both share the same sad childhood. During their trip around Japan to visit the unknown mother of little boy Masao they do a lot of stupid and funny stuff while meeting a lot of different people along the trip and becoming friends with them. In the back the sadness always sets in when they discover that the mother of little Masao has founded a new family and that the mother of Kikujiro (Takeshi Kitano) is old and probably wouldn't even recognize or know Kikujiro anymore. Seeing how heart broken little Masao is after he saw that his mother that he never really knew (because she left him as a little baby with his grandmother) has a new family, Kikujiro does everything to cheer Masao up with a lot of stupid tricks and comedy setups with strangers they meet during their way back to their hometown.

I'll say it's an awesome drama comedy movie that hits you with sadness really right but also cheers you up afterwards.
[Image: zHHqO5Q.png]
--------------------------
     Aliens (1986)
--------------------------

This is probably the first Sci-fi movie I have watched and one of my all times favorite movies. I still remember I watched it for the first time with my cousins in VCR and I was maybe 5-6 years old. I loved the movie and same time I got so scared I couldn't go to the kitchen at night alone for days. I think everything was made so perfect and real-like which made the movie an instant classic.

The story is about a group of soldiers who are sent to check what happened to a human colony on a faraway planet. They were quite a confidant about their capabilities but they were totally unprepared for what they discover. Even with all high-tech weapons, the fight becomes pretty much one-sided. The movie keeps you totally focus on it with all surprises and nonstop action. This is one movie I can give 10/10 without thinking twice. It's that good. This is not an average Alien movie you see today. This one is tense, brutal, and bloodied. Makes you wonder about how friendly any future Alien encounter gonna be.

There is a whole Alien franchise. 4 movies plus 2 prequels including Prometheus. But none another match the power of this one. I think full credits who got the director and co-writer of the movie, James Cameron. This guy knows what he does. Also, the movie was a financial success. It has earned more than 10 times its budget which's 19 million USD.

[Image: Aliens_poster.jpg]

For this week-end I'll recommend one of the first mockumentary (mock-documentary) horror movies I saw back in 1999, it's The Blair Witch Project (1999), depicting an ill-fated student trip out into the woods.. Twenty-some years later, I would say that the movie wasn't all that great after all, but I would guess that it was that mockumentary (mock-documentary) format that really captured my attention and made the unfolding drama appear more real...

Still, Blair Witch Project (1999) is featured in the IMDB's 20 Best Found Footage / Mockumentary Horror Movies. Highly recommended!
Given the fact that this thread is all about spreading the word among cinephiles of all stripes, well, here is a little jewel from mid-1990s: Smoke (1995.)

A simple yet brilliant movie -of the kind they don't make any more- written by Paul Auster and directed by Wayne Wang & John Landis. It has a well woven storyline -thanks to Paul Auster's mastery- played by three great actors -William Hurt, Harvey Keitel and Forest Whitaker- among others..

Highly recommended for classic cinephiles.. but not so much for standard current moviegoers (ie there is no CGI, no Gore, no Hi-octane violence, no senseless action no - and no - etc... It's all in the narrative!)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post
11-27-2018, 11:34 PM
Last Post: Kururin

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting