arrow_upward

Pages (3):
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recommendable Movies
As the title suggest, this thread is about movies that you watched and want to recommend. It doesn't matter when you watched it or why or how old the movie is .. All I'm asking here is that the movie should have stuck with you for awhile after watching it, which should be a sign that it's a good movie..

As to the pertinent question of what makes a movie good or not?.. I'll leave it to the contributors' own judgement/sensibility.. Because you don't need to be a professional film critic to have a reasonable sense of that...

I will start here by :
> Paul Haggis's Crash (2005). An intelligent well crafted film with a wonderful original soundtrack.. Highly recommended.

> Quentin Tarantino's Django Unchained (2012). It's a story about the pre-Civil War African-American Slavery in the US South.. The movie (Django Unchained (2012)) is a 2h 45min-long highly entertaining watch.. Tarantino-style!.. A good casting too.. I enjoyed the performance of Jamie Foxx (as Django) and Christoph Waltz ( as Dr. King Schultz)

> Michael Mann's Heat (1995). To my mind the best crime drama ever and Michael Mann is the master of the genre. The movie starred Robert De Niro, Al Pacino, Val Kilmar, Jon Voight etc...

> Michael Mann's Collateral (2004): a gripping noir thriller starring Tom Cruise, Jamie Foxx, Mark Ruffalo etc..
VirMach's Buffalo_VPS-9 Holder (Dec. 20 - July 21)
microLXC's Container Holder (july 20 - ?)
VirMach's Phoenix_VPS-9 Holder (Apr. 20 - June 20)
NanoKVM's NAT-VPS Holder (jan. 20 - ?)
(05-09-2021, 11:56 AM)Mashiro Wrote: As a reference for titles, information and etc. I'll be linking to IMDb entries of the movies and also Rotten Tomatoes. Due to the massive amount of entries on my list I might omit posting short descriptions based on my own words.

^ That is part one. A second part will follow some time later as it takes very long to make this list with the right titles, information and links.

I assure that I have watched all of the movies above at least once or even multiple times. In fact all of the movies listed above are stored on my NAS and Plex server to watch anytime necessary. I usually only keep movies that are worth it like the ones from above.
First, thanks for your willingness to share your 'playlist' with us :-)

I can see titles that I can recommend too from that huge list (Matrix 1 but not necessarily 2+3, The Godfather, Pulp fiction etc..). But I think that it would be nice and more engaging if you limit the remaining posts to a handful of titles per post with a brief comment of the why they made it into your best-of list. Besides that should cut on the formatting effort dealing with huge list... Just a suggestion though!

Okay!.. The movie that I'm going to recommend today is, of course, Memento (2000).

It's Christopher Nolan's masterpiece with an excellent performance from the trio: Guy Pearce, Joe Pantoliano and Carrie-Anne Moss.. Highly recommended..
@fChk  99.99% of your posts are more than super quality. I'm not concerned about your post in this section, however, I'm concerned that this thread may lead to a listing of titles without any real discussion in it.   If this section is to earn post credits then it has to conform with the general requirement for quality content of at least some discussion. If someone recommends a movie, then we expect at least some discussion as to why that movie is being recommended. We need to have an idea of what genre of movie it is, i.e. action, drama, history, how it compares with other movies in the same genre, in a discussion that is longer than a couple of lines long.  

Here is an example of a bare bones quality discussion that I took from the other movies thread - it gives the title, it gives the genre of the movie, compares it with the average and gives the reason why it stands out for the author. I feel like checking it out as it speaks to me.  

Quote:Watched The Good The Bad The Weird (2008). It's a South Korean movie that is pretty much at the Hollywood level. The only one I could recognize from the cast is Lee Byung-hun who had been in many Hollywood movies like Red, G.I. Jeo, Terminator Genisys, etc. This movie is super good I would say better than most of the Hollywood movies of that time. It's an action-packed movie which perfect balance with comedy stuff. Recently I have watched many Korean and Chinese movies which are really high-quality productions. I would give this one 9/10.
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
Rain Man / 1988 / USA / 8 out of 10 Rating on IMDb

A really great movie with Tom Cruise and Dustin Hoffman.

The movie is about a young business man whose father died and left him a part of his fortune. He finds out that the other part of the fortune has been given to a unknown party. He is quite selfish and needs money due to a failed business venture with Italian sport cars. So he attempst to find the unknown party. He gets to know that he has a much older brother who is in a nursing home due to having autism. Autism is no joke and should be taken seriously. The movie is attempting to make aware of this for the time it was made in. It wasn't even known widely that autism was a existing thing and a big issue for affected peopel. Great character development in terms of the role that Tom Cruise played and as well as Dustin Hoffman's role.

Towards the end both the business man and his brother are in a real brotherhood type relationship (after being apart for so many years). Most important is that the business man is no longer after the money and stopped being so selfish.

Awesome movie.
[Image: zHHqO5Q.png]
@deanhills

I must say that I had that concern too when I opened this thread. I was betting on the common sense of our members to keep things rolling with some engaging posts about their favorite kind of movies. But, indeed, some explicit rules won't hurt either as far as quality-posting goes.

(05-10-2021, 07:34 AM)deanhills Wrote: If someone recommends a movie, then we expect at least some discussion as to why that movie is being recommended. We need to have an idea of what genre of movie it is, i.e. action, drama, history, how it compares with other movies in the same genre, in a discussion that is longer than a couple of lines long.  

Sounds good except for the highlighted part which is a bit overkill. Personnaly, I would expect people to :
1- Reference the movie: title + release year + an RT or IMDB link.
This way we all unequivocally know which movie the poster is talking about and we also know all the info about it (including the genre, cast, plot etc...) from a trusted source + a score.
2- A personal take(/opinion) on that movie, which is the poster justification of why he's recommending it. Of course, this is the most important and, from experience, it can go from being well-thought-of to a highly subjective justification.
3- The most enthusiasts among us have to limit the number of titles to 5 per posts associated with their expected info.

I think that should be all!.. And we'll see how folks will deal with this.

(05-10-2021, 11:02 AM)Mashiro Wrote: Rain Man / 1988 / USA / 8 out of 10 Rating on IMDb

A really great movie with Tom Cruise and Dustin Hoffman.

Indeed! @Mashiro.

back then, most people knew Tom Cruise from his Risky Business (1983) or Top Gun (1986) movies but I really first 'discovered' him as an actor in Rain Man (1988) acting along the already iconic Dustin Hoffman.

Okay, I'm having a week off and I'll be making yet another recommendation.

I've got a go-to list of directors that I'm relying on anytime I want a guaranteed enjoyable movie watch; Quentin Tarantino and The Coen brothers are among them.

In this post I'll recommend 2 Coen brothers' movies from the 2000s: Burn After Reading (2008) and No Country for Old Men (2007). Both movies are of the mystery/thriller/crime genre. With a drama over-tone in 'No Country for Old Men' and a comedy over-tone in the 'Burn After Reading'.

"No Country for Old Men" is (up til now) the only Coen film to win the best picture award at the Oscars (80th Academy Awards; 2007). Javier Bardem's performance in this movie was brilliant. The movie also starred Tommy Lee Jones and Josh Brolin.

"Burn After Reading" is extremely hilarious with an excellent casting. Notably John Malkovich, Frances McDormand, George Clooney and Brad Pitt. A really enjoyable watch, courtesy of the Coen Brothers.
I have seen the series See which is very attractive and I recommend it to everyone. In this series, all the people are blind and you see how these people live and fight (with the sword).
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7949218
And mortal kombat is a unique (action) movie that I recommend for those who like action movies. This film has won an award and is very interesting and has interesting adventures.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0293429
And in the latest movie, I suggest were the millers, which is a comedy movie and interesting for those who like comedy and funny movies. I have suggested some movies that I have seen and found interesting and I suggest you.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1723121
Thanks Post4VPS
In my last post here I did recommend 2 Coen brothers' movies from the 2000s, in this one I'll still stick with the Coen brothers and recommend 2 of their movies from the 1990s:

> Fargo (1996) is the Coen brothers' highly acclaimed crime drama that did get them the 'Best  Screenplay..' Oscar in 1997 and the 'Best Actress in a Leading Role' Oscar to the excellent Frances McDormand. The movie also starred Steve Buscemi who did great as usual. It's a highly recommended watch to the 'cinephils' out there!
AND
> The Big Lebowski (1998), which is yet another "coenesque" Comedy narrative about "The Dude" Lebowski (played by Jeff Bridges).. A nice (at times surrealistic) watch ... Not as compelling as their  'Burn After Reading' (2008) movie but it should be worthy of your time nonetheless!..

Happy Eid al-Fitr !!... See you next Month!
The first movie or the movie series I'm going to recommend is The God Must be Crazy. Only 1 and 2. Rest are pretty much garbage which was trying to use the fame of those 2 early movies. It's a comedy but not an average Hollywood comedy. These days Hollywood comedies are all about actors than the script/story. We always laugh about the acting of Mr bean aka Rowan Atkinson, Jacky Chain, etc. This movie is all about the story than the cast.

The first movie is about a Coca Cola bottle fallen from the sky and how that turn lives of African bushmen family upside down. Same time there is a side story about a white man and women who end the end an unusual but hilarious situation plus a rebel group that on run after the unuseful attack. Also, there is a narrator who explains the story throughout the movie.

This might not sound very exciting to use and I had the same thought at begin of the movie. But the more I watched more I found it curious as well as hilarious. when you finish watching the movie you end up wonder about it. The story and the message it gives you about mankind.

If you enjoy the first movie you will want to watch the second one and you will enjoy it a lot too. It's a really good movie so different from mainstream movies we have today.

With a budget of 5 million USD, the movie earned more than 200 million USD. That alone tells you something about this movie.

~ Be yourself everybody else is taken ~

@xdude.  Gods must be Crazy is awesome.  The Director and Creator of the show is a well known guy in South Africa Jamie Uys.  I totally recommend this movie.  Jamie Uys took ages with each and every scene that got almost handcrafted on a one on one basis. He developed and nurtured a very special relationship with the Bushman as well as any of the actors in his movies. Everything in that movie is genuine and sincere, including the Bushman from the Kalahari.  You can read more about this from here.
https://www.nytimes.com/1985/04/28/movie...l-hit.html
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
I am not sure if this is the case outside of the United States, but YouTube has a rather nice catalog of free movies and if you have access to it I highly recommend watching Little Miss Sunshine. It was one of my favorite movies and it focuses on the messed up dynamic of a family, while showing that no family nor their situation is perfect. One thing that I always liked about this movie was the soundtrack, I've attached a trailer below. Please do note: this movie does have suggestive themes and foul language.

Thank you to CubeData and Posts4VPS for the services of VPS 8.
Pages (3):

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post
11-27-2018, 11:34 PM
Last Post: Kururin

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting