arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Setting Up MyBB Forum On a Linux Server ( Ubuntu / Debian )
Hello Friends, I am going to share a tutorial. In this tutorial, I am going to show you how to install MyBB forum on a VPS running ubuntu. Most of you know about setting up basic lamp stack. So I am not going to explain it. If anyone of you faces any problem during the lamp stack installation feel free to post a reply.

Here is a simple guide regarding the installation of the lamp stack. ( Necessary for web host ).
What is the lamp stack?

These are some packages required for web-host on a server. These are Apache, Mysql, Php, and Phpmyadmin.
These packages have different functions

Apache: It helps us to host a website on a private server.
MySql: It is a database server. It helps us to store website data.
Php: It is also an application that helps to read PHP codes for your website. Some of the web applications are in PHP that’s why it is necessary
PhpMyAdmin: It is used to manage the databases.

To Install of these necessary packages use the following commands.

Apache

sudo apt-get install apache2

MySQL Server

sudo apt-get install mysql-server

PHP

sudo apt-get install php

PhpMyAdmin

sudo apt-get install phpmyadmin

Note: During this installation MySQL and PhpMyadmin require a password. You will have to enter a password to access the database.

Alright we are done. We are ready to install MyBB forum script on our linux server.

First of all, we will have to download the MyBB latest version. So I will go to the directory where I will install MyBB. Most of the website's data are in /var/www/ . So I shall create a new directory in this directory

cd /var/www

now create a new directory under /var/www

mkdir mybb

We have successfully created a new directory named as “ MyBB “ Now we have to download the latest available version of MyBB.

cd mybb

To download

wget https://resources.mybb.com/downloads/mybb_1821.zip

When the download is done.We have to unzip the downloaded file.The file will be named as “ mybb_1821 “ (currently available version, may be different in future ).

You can unzip with the simple “ unzip “ command.

Unzip mybb_1821.zip

Note: You must have to install unzip the package.

When unzip is completed, We will have to edit the website configuration. We are using apahce2 webserver and it stores the configuration files in the directory “ /etc/apache2/sites-available “
We will have to create a new configuration for MyBB forum in this directory. So use the following command.

nano /etc/apache2/sites-available/mybb.conf

When you will edit it will be a new empty .conf file. We have to enter the configuration.

<VirtualHost *:80>
       # The ServerName directive sets the request scheme, hostname and port that
       # the server uses to identify itself. This is used when creating
       # redirection URLs. In the context of virtual hosts, the ServerName
       # specifies what hostname must appear in the request's Host: header to
       # match this virtual host. For the default virtual host (this file) this
       # value is not decisive as it is used as a last resort host regardless.
       # However, you must set it for any further virtual host explicitly.

ServerName www.example.com
       ServerAdmin webmaster@localhost
       DocumentRoot /var/www/mybb/

# Available loglevels: trace8, ..., trace1, debug, info, notice, warn,
       # error, crit, alert, emerg.
       # It is also possible to configure the loglevel for particular
       # modules, e.g.
       #LogLevel info ssl:warn

ErrorLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/error.log
       CustomLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/access.log combined

# For most configuration files from conf-available/, which are
       # enabled or disabled at a global level, it is possible to
       # include a line for only one particular virtual host. For example the
       # following line enables the CGI configuration for this host only
       # after it has been globally disabled with "a2disconf".
       #Include conf-available/serve-cgi-bin.conf
</VirtualHost>

# vim: syntax=apache ts=4 sw=4 sts=4 sr noet

In the configuration file, we mostly change the ServerName and the DocumentRoot.The ServerName is the name of your domain and The DocumentRoot is the directory to your MyBB files. I have downloaded the MyBB in the directory “ /var/www/mybb “ so I will simply change the documentroot.When you are done hit the “ CTRL + O “ key to save the file and then “ CTRL + X “ to exit the editing mode.

Now we have to enable the newly configured site.So apache2’s command to enable a site is “ a2ensite “

a2ensite mybb

Now apache will require a restart. Use

systemctl reload apache2

Apache configuration is done lets check the status now

systemctl status apache2

You will get the following output if everything is fine

? apache2.service - The Apache HTTP Server Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/apache2.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled) Drop-In: /lib/systemd/system/apache2.service.d ??apache2-systemd.conf Active: active (running) since Wed 2019-01-27 8:56:45 UTC; 6s ago Process: 6498 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/apachectl start (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS) Main PID: 6517 (apache2) Tasks: 1 (limit: 1114) CGroup: /system.slice/apache2.service ??6517 /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start March 27 8:56:45 ubuntu1804 systemd[1]: Starting The Apache HTTP Server... March 27 8:56:45 ubuntu1804 apachectl[6498]: AH00557: apache2: apr_sockaddr_info_get() failed for ubuntu1804 March 27 8:56:45 ubuntu1804 apachectl[6498]: AH00558: apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 127$ March 27 8:56:45 ubuntu1804 systemd[1]: Started The Apache HTTP Server.

Now visit your site in a browser and complete the installation. Now we have to complete MyBB installations.We need a database to store the data. So create a new database with the help of PhpMyAdmin.

You can log in to your phpmyadmin panel at the link

yourserverip/phpmyadmin

Login with your details ( we entered during the installation of these packages ) and create a new database.

Now let’s complete the installation

Visit your site with your browser.

On the first page you will have a welcome message by MyBB. Read the given information carefully and click “ Next “
On the second page when you click next you will be redirected to license agreement page. Read their terms and click “Next”

They will redirect you to New page. In this page, they will check your requirements. Make sure all the required packages are done. If all the packages are done Click “Next” to continue the process.

After checking the requirements they will ask about database information. 
There are several forms to be filled.

Quote:Database Engine: We have to select “ MySQL “ as we are using MySQL

Database Server Host Name: The database hostname. Leave it unchanged. It is already as localhost.

User: The mysql user. ( we created during the installation of MySQL and phpmyadmin )
Password: the password of the user. ( we created during the installation of MySQL and phpmyadmin )
Database Name: the name of the database.

The next portion will have information about the MySQL Improved Table Settings. Leave it and click next.

When you click next it will start creating tables. When done click next.
On the next page it will ask to populate the table. Simply click Next
On this page, it will ask for a theme. We can do it later simply click Next.

In this step, we have to give the forums information

The step is named as “ Board Configuration “

Quote:Forum Name:  The name you want to use for your newly created mybb forum.
Forum URL:  The url for your new mybb site.

Website Name: The name you want to use for your newly created mybb forum.
Website URL: The url for your new mybb site.

You don’t need to change anything in cookies settings.

Contact Details:  admin information ( email )

The next one is about security leave it unchanged and click Next.

Now in this step, we have to create the administrator account information to manage the forums.

Quote:Accounts Details

Username:  admin
Password: adminpass
Re-Type Password: adminpass
Email: [email protected] 

note: remember to change the details according to your own information.

Click Next.

The installation is completed. When you will click “ Next “ after the admin account details it will show you the successful installation page.

Everything is done. Your new MyBB website is live.

It was a quick tutorial, If you need further help feel free to reply.

Thanks

Regards

Rehan ( Post4VPS Client ).

Thanks to Post4VPS and Hostlease for their great services.  
@Rehan Very useful and simple tutorial for new users and for those who ain't good at linux (like me). I suggest you to add or create new tutorial about how people can setup DNS and propagate their domain name to their VPS. Anyway it really useful tutorial.
Terminal
Best Regards,
Global Moderator of Post4VPS 

@arsalahmed786: I can post a tutorial on how to setup VestaCP if you need it that way... It allows you to use your own nameservers as well as DNS and other things are anyways there.
Sayan Bhattacharyya,

Heartiest thanks to Post4VPS and Virmach for my wonderful VPS 9!
(09-02-2019, 10:01 AM)sohamb03 Wrote: @arsalahmed786: I can post a tutorial on how to setup VestaCP if you need it that way... It allows you to use your own nameservers as well as DNS and other things are anyways there.

I don't want it, I'm just talking about general if people also wondering how they can propagate their domain name to their VPS. Anyway i really appreciate you for providing such a great tutorial.
Terminal
Best Regards,
Global Moderator of Post4VPS 

Thanks for your response @arsalahmed786. It would definitely be a good idea to post that especially for newbies.

I'll post one this weekend as I'm not free during these days. I'll need sometime to make the tutorial precise and effective.
Sayan Bhattacharyya,

Heartiest thanks to Post4VPS and Virmach for my wonderful VPS 9!

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting