arrow_upward

Poll: Do you use control panels in your VPS management ?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
I've never used one.
28.57%
I use them but can do without them
64.29%
I use them because I can't do without them
7.14%
Total
14 vote(s)
100%

* You voted for this item.

Pages (2):
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VPS Management Mode
(05-02-2020, 01:07 PM)fChk Wrote: I was just reading a VPS review and something in there made me want to ask the following question to the active members of this community, both those with and without a VPS hosting: Do you actually need a control panel to manage your VPS's services? Can you do without it? or Is it absolutely vital to get the job done?

I do not mind to manage my VPSes without any control panel. CLI commands are my good friends.

Although a control panel is not absolutely vital for me, it is a bonus if I get one.

Because a control panel is still more convenient in some particular cases, for example, when I need to reinstall a VPS. Smile

Ok!.. based on the current stats in the Poll (so far), we have 30% of the CLI-type, 60% of CLI/GUI-type and 10% of the GUI-type !

Frankly, that's not what I was expecting!.. But anyway, it is what it is!

The majority of the posts are on-point, so thanks for that!.. Anybody else who wants to share his thoughts with us is still welcome.

The OP was clear :
(05-02-2020, 01:07 PM)fChk Wrote: (...) Do you actually need a control panel to manage your VPS's services? Can you do without it? or Is it absolutely vital to get the job done?

By VPS services, I mean whatever things you're running on it: Web server, databases, DNS, mail, game servers (as this seems to be the main attraction around here) etc...

Running, managing and securing a Linux system in its own right isn't a trivial task at all and assumes a wide range of knowledge that no Control Panel (CP) can ever fill. Let alone when it's also used to manage its Internet services, potentially exposing the whole system to a wide range of attacks. Especially, given that enabling/disabling a service becomes as easy as pushing a button, where an actual sysAdmin would have spent hours/days of thought as to the best way of deploying the same service the "right-way" given its own specific conditions.

You see, I'm against the one-size-fits-all mentality by principal; control panel are just a mild expression of it in the system administration area.

When you depend on CP, you lose your freedom! As instead of dealing with an issue in its fundamental ways, you start thinking of it from the standpoint of the CP that you're using--which is never the cleanest way to approach a problem. Hence, why it's a necessity for you to AT LEAST BE AWARE OF ALL THE ASSUMPTIONS (explicit or implicit) THAT YOUR CP HAS. Which is sad because it's a futile and time-consuming exercise and really counter-productive in the long-run!...

Because at some point issues will start piling with that CP (as with any software that you don't control) and you'll start feeling trapped!.. You then start looking for an alternative, then the same learning curve about the assumptions of the new CP will start again from THE VERY BEGINNING, only to learn that the old one and the new one do things differently!.. [I'm dramatising here :-) but not that far from reality!]

My rule was always to never depend on any 3rd-party software in anything. Principle that I also apply on the Web, where I never use any generic framework, WebApps or even Libraries (except for a select few!) When you need something, just Do It Yourself!.. Some may think of it as a 'rediscovering the wheel' kind of thing, but I think of it as a way of building a sound expertise.

This state of mind of mine, out of the way, I can now say that pretty much everything I do in VPS management has always been via CLI and it's not as daunting as it seems to be, quite the opposite actually. When everything is done via CLI, scripting it comes next!.. and when tasks get scripted, automation is guaranteed.

In summary, by using CLI you (hopefully) got total control over your system:
> you get to know the nut and bolt of your system: capabilities (strengths/weaknesses) etc... Thus,
> you can customize it as you wish, by running whatever service you want, the way you want it and when you want it.
> you can secure it as you wish (by putting whatever policies you want given your specific needs.)

Now, this been said, I still get the point of those 60% who go for a GUI when they can, but of course I can't subscribe to it (for the reasons outlined above.) As to our 10% who can't do anything without a GUI, I encourage them to take their time and learn Linux administration the right way (ie. via CLI.) It should be a time well-spent in the long-run.

Thanks again for everybody's contribution.
VirMach's Buffalo_VPS-9 Holder (Dec. 20 - July 21)
microLXC's Container Holder (july 20 - ?)
VirMach's Phoenix_VPS-9 Holder (Apr. 20 - June 20)
NanoKVM's NAT-VPS Holder (jan. 20 - ?)
Good question, My preference for a panel can depend on what the panel is helping me with.

E.g. If we're talking about a panel for vps controls(OS Reinstallation, Restart etc) then sure Its a great tool and if we have access to the panel we can quickly reinstall OSes as we desire and don't need to bother the administrators. 

In another case if we're talking about a game server, my answer would be "yes & no", mainly because personally I don't like panels as they make my work alot more complex and slower than it is, but I do install it mostly because a game server isn't meant for one player. I often host servers to play with friends and since they don't know much about command line Its easier for them to control the server if I can just install a panel for them(which is why I have to install it), so while I can do without a panel myself, my friends can't and thus I always have to install panel for gameservers even when I don't prefer them.
Thanks to ShadowHosting and Post4VPS for my VPS 5!
I can manage a VPS without a control panel but I still prefer to use a control panel because it makes things become more easy and not too overwhelming. I'm using a control panel on command line which I design for my personal use. It's like typing numbers to select things. Sometimes I still use regular command line without anything because I think that websites that are hosted without a control panel are faster and you can take advantage of your full root access when you use regular command line. Control panels can affect you negatively, especially on performance and security. If you have a very big and important site I suggest you to go for managed VPS/server. It will cost you more, but you will have experts taking care of your server, so you can focus on your site content.
Moved from General Forum to VPS General Discussion as requested.

@fChk This is right on the mark for me. This weekend I was knee deep in CyberPanel trying to make it work. I had a user account from @fikoh that is fantastic, but probably due to @fitkoh's technical abilities to sort out the shortcomings of cyberpanel. When I tried to load the server this weekend I found it much too bulky. I found it intimidating too, as when I logged into root, first message that shows is a welcome from CyberPanel. I find CyberPanel very heavy and it's taking up too much RAM. The 1GB suggested by CyberPanel won't work for people like me.

Anyway, I then gave up on CyberPanel and then went to manual installaton. MariaDB was the toughest learning curve. There is plenty of literature on Google for installing the server, but very few on how to create databases and work with them. I've got it sorted out now by taking bits and pieces from a few tutorials. Exit is quit. Ctrl C is abort. Etc etc.

You're right @fChk. One doesn't need a panel. I started to learn at a very high curve when you explained how to disable SELinux and also open ports. That was good background for creating a Web Server on CentOS 7. There were plenty of tutorials to help with creating the Web Server, MariaDB Server (not many tutorials for creating the databases though), creating php 7.3 and Ioncube, and phpmyadmin. With your help with SELinux, I had the hang of how to open Ports. My problems came with WordPress. Which thinking about it afterwards WordPress is getting to be a real pain in the neck. Maybe I should go back to html only. But still. If the panels can make WordPress permissions work, then I should be able to do it too.

Anyway, solving my WP permissions challenge is meant for a support discussion. I've just proved to myself that it isn't necessary to use a panel.
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
Pages (2):

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting