arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What things do I need to learn to manage my own VPS?
To be honest, I'd recommend you to learn nothing at all!

When I started working on linux ( back in grade 6 ), I knew nothing about it, literally nothing. If you are not going to use it for office work and just want to learn it for running servers and stuff then just start off from learning your ideas on google. for example, If you don't know how to change directories look it up on google. even today I follow this method to get my problems resolved.
Thanks to ShadowHosting and Post4VPS for my VPS 5!
Well you don't need to learn a lot. You can Google everything and after few times you will remember all commands. Also unless you plan to do web hosting as business you don't need to learn everything about it.

~ Be yourself everybody else is taken ~

Setting up a VPS is the easy part.
Keeping it running properly, handling problems when they arise, and keeping it secure is the challenge.my suggestion would be to order a cheap VPS (or free :p Big Grin ) package and start playing with it. learn all you can before using it in a production environment.
start with thinking about what services you want to run on the VPS and use Google to find tutorials on how to install and configure them.then find some tutorials on hardening a VPS/Server and go through the process following every step.then load a site and run some benchmarks/load tests. See how it performs, look for bottlenecks, and try to fix the problems.
hhe best way to learn is by doing!!
and another importance thing is browse some online tutorials for basic SSH commands would guide you to the important part of VPS management without control panel, however, it is a good idea to obtain at least semi-managed VPS plan, so to be sure you’ll get some help from your hosting provider. Smile
Many thanks to Abc-Hosters LLC and post4vps for the VPS 3  Party

- Sorry for my bad English

Learn some basic Linux commands. What do you want to do with your VPS? Website? Game server? Please tell me so I can the detailed advice.
Ah alright. I really liked http://www.learnshell.org/ and think it's great for someone starting out. While you may not need everything you learn in it, it's great for learning Linux.
Now, if you want to host a game server, you will need to know a few things.
First of all, your VPS might get taken away if you get DDoSed, so watch out for that. Also, you need (depending on the game) not only enough RAM, but a good, stable internet connection. Other factors depend on the game.
If you want to host a website, you should watch some Apache or Nginx tutorials. That should get you started.

Good luck and happy VPSing!
(11-02-2016, 02:06 PM)hazeaj Wrote: Now, if you want to host a game server, you will need to know a few things.
First of all, your VPS might get taken away if you get DDoSed, so watch out for that. Also, you need (depending on the game) not only enough RAM, but a good, stable internet connection. Other factors depend on the game.

What kind of game server you are hosting?
(11-02-2016, 06:41 PM)Vuluts Wrote: What kind of game server you are hosting?

What do you mean? I'm not hosting anything right now (I will soon :p). I was giving advice to OP.
(11-02-2016, 07:04 PM)hazeaj Wrote: What do you mean? I'm not hosting anything right now (I will soon :p). I was giving advice to OP.

Ohh sorry, I thought you are running a game server right now. BTW what are your plans if ever you got your VPS?
(11-02-2016, 07:32 PM)Vuluts Wrote: Ohh sorry, I thought you are running a game server right now. BTW what are your plans if ever you got your VPS?

Haha, not really "ever". I'm planning to get VPS 9 (p.s. you did a nice review of it < 3) soon. I have a VPS review coming up that should grant me enough credits and posts soon that I could get it.
My plan is a big Minecraft server. Self-hosting obviously didn't work out for me.
(11-02-2016, 07:34 PM)hazeaj Wrote: Haha, not really "ever". I'm planning to get VPS 9 (p.s. you did a nice review of it < 3) soon. I have a VPS review coming up that should grant me enough credits and posts soon that I could get it.
My plan is a big Minecraft server. Self-hosting obviously didn't work out for me.

Thanks!, but take note applying for VPS 9 needs a good valid reason.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post
07-01-2021, 01:17 PM
Last Post: fChk

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting