arrow_upward

Pages (6):
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Xiaomi vs Huawei and other budget brands
I wanted to make this topic a week ago before buying a new phone. But I have been quite busy with work stuff and real like situations so I couldn't be active in the forum to do that. So now I have already bought a new phone which is a Xiaomi Redmi 9.

My first choice was going for either Huawei Y6P or Y7. But Y6P has no Google Play Store. I know there are some alternatives and stuff but I just didn't want to go through the whole thing. Y7, 2019 model has PlayStore but I didn't feel it's worth its the price. I was told to check Xiaomi phones and I was quite surprised at prices they offer compared to features. I did my research and went through so many reviews. I shorted listed Redmi 9 and Redmi Note 9.  Redmi 9 has 4GB RAM and 64GB ROM. Here, We only have a 3GB 64GB version and 4GB 128GB versions of Note 9. I didn't want to go for a phone with 3GB RAM and the 4GB 128GB version was a bit expensive. The price difference was not worthy enough from what I saw. Redmi 9 has pretty good price vs features rato.

The only thing which was worrying me is I read some Xiaomi models have signal problems even Redmi 8 and Redmi Note 8 which have really good reviews apart from this. But bought the Redmi 9 and so far I haven't had any problem at all. I use 2 SIMs and both services work fine. Well, I bought 2 phones one for my sister and one for my self. I found a small problem with my sister's phone which sometimes it's hard to install apps in Google Store. Everything else works fine but just sometimes when trying to install an app it just shows downloading msg nothing happen. this phone also had 2 sims and only happens for one of these services so I don't think the problem is in the phone.

So far I'm really happy with it. I went to this Redmi 9 from an old Galaxy S4 which I used for about 5 years! S4 was released in 2013 and I bought it in 2016 I think. It had a few issues from the start. Mostly the battery drain and overheating problems. Apart from that S4 is amazing. But it's a flagship model. I still use it even though it's giving me more trouble now. It big lags and freezing from time to time. But I haven't formatted or done anything so it's normal. I just don't want to format it because it had few apps which are no longer available.

Anyway, What do you guys think of Xiaomi phones? I know Chinese phones kind of have a bad rep for been low-quality products but I wonder we can say that for brands like Xiaomi or Huawei.

~ Be yourself everybody else is taken ~

Isn't Xiaomi Redmi 9 also from China?  I've heard fantastic reports about this phone, like from what I've heard from users they swear by Xiaomi Redmi and it's generally available in about all of the countries of the world so must be well supported.  But I'm just wondering whether it may go the same route as Huawei if this digital trade war between the US and China continues along the road it is being waged right now.  And Trump gets to be re-elected. Chances could be Xiaomi may also lose use of Google Playstore eventually? Tongue

For example, I found this detailed report which was basically the reason for the issue with Huawei:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrews...bac20a1b2a

For the signal problem - if this is the reason for the playstore download issue - I found this solution.  Do you think this may help the problem?
https://c.mi.com/thread-1898821-1-0.html

With Samsung I've also heard friends muttering under their breath, as the older the Samsung gets the more problems with the battery time and that is usually the reason that gets them to change to a different phone - either another more up to date Samsung or another brand completely. I've got a Samsung S7 however and haven't had any issues yet.  Maybe there are exceptions to the rule.  Mind you, Samsung is not the only brand with this issue.  Apple battery depending on the phone model and possibly also the way the battery is used may also get problems with battery time the older the phone gets, ditto LG.
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
@deanhills

Yes, Xiaomi is a Chinese company. That's what I tried to say, for a long time if it's a Chinese product the first question that came to mind is if it's a low-quality product or not. Both Xiaomi and Huawei have high-end phones which are quite expensive too. Also, these phones have good reviews.

I don't know if the US will have put sanctions on Xiaomi but so far this company time to milk the situation and it's working for them. Right now their new models do have Google PlayStore I think their sales are increasing. Their prices are a tiny bit low than Huawei's same range models. For example, there is a big demand for Redmi 9 line, Redmi 9, Redmi Note 9, Redmi 9 Pro, etc.

Yeah, there is this data collecting thing. I'm pretty sure China government tries to do that or does that. A Chinese company can't ignore their government and survive. But this nothing new. It's a well-known fact the Us government agencies scan Gmail and outlook for any threats. Even Google it self scan Gmail for their advertising purposes. Browser data collecting and App data are pretty much similar. I stopped bothering about these long ago. This is what internet is. haha.

BTW do you use the FingerPrint feature in your S7? Something I always wonder is what if something happens like a hardware failure or software problem related to the Finger Print scanner. Will we able to unlock the phone? haha

Also, I heard Samsung has fixed old overheating problems and battery problems already. Their technology and features and everything are great. Just I can't justify the price when I can get most of those features for half the cost.

There are some new brands also exist in market which cost compete china mobiles like huawei and Xiaomi. It's Infinix which have wast range of next generation phones with high specs and almost 50% less in price. and few days ago they also buy a other brand techno as a sub brand of infinix. here is some most viewable specs phones for your more exact knowledge.

https://www.gsmarena.com/infinix-phones-119.php
Heart LOVE FOR ALL  HATRED FOR NONE Heart
(08-22-2020, 04:47 AM)xdude Wrote: BTW do you use the FingerPrint feature in your S7? Something I always wonder is what if something happens like a hardware failure or software problem related to the Finger Print scanner. Will we able to unlock the phone? haha
Haha .... no, I'm too much of a wimp to use it.  I was and am still dead scared that it may not read my finger print correctly and I may be permanently locked out of my phone.  I also have that feature available on my Xperia X phone (I am using two phones at the moment with the Xperia X being my more actively used one), but also decided not to use it.  To be truthful though, I mostly use my phone for real phone and WhatsApp with friends and family. Not as a computer. I do the odd searches when I'm at home as my WhatsApp and Google are completely set on WiFi. I also use the camera features on both quite frequently.  That is at least one thing I really like about Cell phones is the ability to take some really good pictures with phones. I don't use any data packages with my service providers. Only WiFi from home or really trusted sources, if I want to use the Internet with my phone outside home - which is very rarely the case.

(08-22-2020, 04:47 AM)xdude Wrote: Also, I heard Samsung has fixed old overheating problems and battery problems already. Their technology and features and everything are great. Just I can't justify the price when I can get most of those features for half the cost.
To be honest, my Samsung Galaxy S7 hasn't given a single problem since I purchased it.  The over heating you mention is the first I heard of it.  I haven't had any issues with it.  And also it was a second hand phone I purchased in 2016.  In the UAE you find many very rich Emiratis trading their very good and up to date models for better looking or newer models.  So you can end up with high quality second hand phones.  My Sony Xperia X however was brand-new - not nearby in the class of your Redmi, but OK for me.  What won it for me with the Xperia was the fantastic screen and color of the images - like Sony is always good with that.  And to be honest I've been using it since 2016, and so far haven't had any issues with even the battery (touch wood).  So who knows, maybe it depends on the use of a phone - like if someone should use the Samsung Galaxy S7 more heavy than I do, like play Games with it, it may develop overheating or battery issues.  Must say however, for me it's an excellent phone.  I love my Sony Xperia.  I also like my Samsung Galaxy S7.  I totally disliked my Apple 6 when I tested it in 2017.  I purchased two of them second hand, and after trying them out on and off for a year, I sold them.  I doubt I'll ever look in the direction of Apple again.  I definitely prefer the greater freedom with Android phones.
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
@deanhills

Yesterday I asked my brother about this. He has even face recognition on. So it seems you need to set up a backup method too like passcode. If one fails you can use the other. I. also just a basic phone user. Some of my friends say a smartphone is a waste on me. haha. I don't' do games and I haven't even looked at all the features my S4 had even though I have used it for like 5 years. I also bought it from a shop which sells imported Korean phones. It was brand new I think since I got it with box and all accessories but already discontinued couple of years ago. It's made for Korea so even has an aerial.

I also have an old Xperia phone. Battery no longer holds charge for more than couple of hours and can't find a replacement battery. Colors, cameras, and sounds are great in that. Does Sony still make phones? their phones are quite expensive. BTW I'm sure your S7 has more features than my Redmi 9 and better chipset. Those S series phones are flagship phone and most other brands are years behind when it comes o technology and Samsung.

@sagher

I do use gsmarena site a lot when I want to know about phone models. I don't think we have Infinix brand phones in local market here.

(08-23-2020, 01:47 AM)xdude Wrote: @deanhills

Yesterday I asked my brother about this. He has even face recognition on. So it seems you need to set up a backup method too like passcode. If one fails you can use the other. I. also just a basic phone user. Some of my friends say a smartphone is a waste on me. haha. I don't' do games and I haven't even looked at all the features my S4 had even though I have used it for like 5 years. I also bought it from a shop which sells imported Korean phones. It was brand new I think since I got it with box and all accessories but already discontinued couple of years ago. It's made for Korea so even has an aerial.

I also have an old Xperia phone. Battery no longer holds charge for more than couple of hours and can't find a replacement battery. Colors, cameras, and sounds are great in that. Does Sony still make phones? their phones are quite expensive. BTW I'm sure your S7 has more features than my Redmi 9 and better chipset. Those S series phones are flagship phone and most other brands are years behind when it comes o technology and Samsung.

@sagher

I do use gsmarena site a lot when I want to know about phone models. I don't think we have Infinix brand phones in local market here.

@xdude Here in Pakistan Infinix hold a major market because of unique executive design and cheap price. you even thing to got 6GB/128GB with 5 cameras and same like many many more with marvelous designs in approx $150 to $200 ?
millions of people here use this brand.
personally i dont like hummingbird OS which most ever infinix use. but it is not too bad as user opinions.
i ever love EMUI Huawei as a budget phone and wish to buy 1+ phone which still not officially launch here.
Heart LOVE FOR ALL  HATRED FOR NONE Heart
I bought my phone last year and I was in the same situation. In my budget I had these phones,

Google Pixel 3a, Xiaomi Mi 9T Pro, OnePlus 6T, Samsung Note 8 and Samsung S9.

I decided to go with OP6T with the major reason being It is considered as the best in performance and I don't regret my choice one bit, my initial choice was to go with Xiaomi 9T Pro however my dad said that Xiaomi may have problems in giving proper software updates and I should go for a reputable company that properly checks their software updates. (We had a Xiaomi TV Device that stopped functioning after installing one of the software updates), maybe he was right, maybe he was not, if u consider the phones spec to price ratio Xiaomi is probably the winnner and was my preference too.

Another factor, that comes into effect especially for people who are living in Pakistan is the FBR Tax that we have to pay. Our country puts special taxes on phones brought from foreign countries (Basically every phone as there are no smartphone assembly plants here lol...), and even right now my phone is blocked because I have not paid taxes for it. The reason I did not pay taxes was that they were demanding 23,000 rupees in taxes while the phone originally costed me 50,000 Rs. As you can see no sane mind would want to half the phone's value in taxes.

As conclusion, I'd prefer you either go with Xiaomi or if you are looking for long term support go with the Pixel budget series. The reason being that Huawei has problems with the US and many apps which use Google Services won't work on Huawei smartphones.
Thanks to ShadowHosting and Post4VPS for my VPS 5!
Well every device has his own special features between I like to use huwaei zoom features I had seen some rare videos of huwaei zoom from top floor buildings and another video of zoom at moon I wish I had huwaei mobiles but they are costly
thank you post4vps and  racknerd for wonderful vps3  Heart

@Honey

I have the same problem with Google Pixel which I have with Infinix which was suggested by @sagher. Both these brands are not known here. Where I live popular brands are Samsung, Apple, Huawei, Xiaomi, Vivo, and Oppo. These brands have Direct agents or offices of the company itself. So when it comes to technical support and Warranty it's an easy ride. This stuff is important especially when it comes to cheaper models of whatever the brand. This is the reason I didn't even bother to try buying one online. Plus here we have 12% import tax for phones.

Huawei's mother company having trouble with several western governments, Not just the USA but the UK too. That's about 5G equipment. I think this phone problem is pretty much political. But yes it is a problem. New Models like Nova 7i, Y7P, Y6P all of these models don't have Google services. That is an issue and I think it has affected their sales. Other companies trying to milk the situation too. Her, Huawei has started offering a free product with all these new models. Nova gets a router and Y7P gets a smartphone etc. Right now Xioami trying to make the best out of the situation. Budget models like Redmi Note 9 and Redmi 9 have a high demand here right now.

I'm quite happy with my Redmi 9 so far but several of my friends complain now they hear more background noises (fan) than before (B4 I used my Galaxy S4). I don't know if it's the phone or headphones. Need to check that.

Pages (6):

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post
12-14-2018, 05:31 AM
Last Post: sagher

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting