arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Xiaomi vs Huawei and other budget brands
(08-24-2020, 08:00 AM)xdude Wrote: @Honey

I have the same problem with Google Pixel which I have with  Infinix which was suggested by @sagher. Both these brands are not known here. Where I live popular brands are Samsung, Apple, Huawei, Xiaomi, Vivo, and Oppo. These brands have Direct agents or offices of the company itself. So when it comes to technical support and Warranty it's an easy ride. This stuff is important especially when it comes to cheaper models of whatever the brand.  This is the reason I didn't even bother to try buying one online. Plus here we have 12% import tax for phones.

Huawei's mother company having trouble with several western governments, Not just the USA but the UK too. That's about 5G equipment. I think this phone problem is pretty much political. But yes it is a problem. New Models like Nova 7i, Y7P, Y6P all of these models don't have Google services. That is an issue and I think it has affected their sales. Other companies trying to milk the situation too. Her, Huawei has started offering a free product with all these new models. Nova gets a router and Y7P gets a smartphone etc. Right now Xioami trying to make the best out of the situation.  Budget models like Redmi Note 9 and Redmi 9 have a high demand here right now.

I'm quite happy with my Redmi 9 so far but several of my friends complain now they hear more background noises (fan) than before (B4 I used my Galaxy S4). I don't know if it's the phone or headphones. Need to check that.

Ah I see, indeed technical support is indeed a core point to take in consideration. It was not much of my concern because literally none of the companies provide official support in my country xD so If my mobile was to fail I would have had to visit the local technicians anyway.

I think the problem with Huawei and UK is more of politics than Security. UK previously allowed Huawei to setup their 5G systems but then suddenly said they did not want that, perhaps someone from the higher seat was pulling the strings? Wink
Thanks to ShadowHosting and Post4VPS for my VPS 5!
@Honey

To be honest, something this official tech support is ridiculous too. Sometimes they tell we need to replace the whole motherboard for minor things which you can fix easily. Once the warranty period is over their support gets quite expensive. Sometimes skilled local tech can fix things that they make you feel like the end of the world. Xiaomi has a phone to phone warranty for 10 years. It's already 8 days for my phone and I really don't want to test this. haha.

So far the battery of Redmi 9 is amazing! I changed it to 100% in the morning. It took about 2 hours with a 10W charger given with the phone. Now after 3 hours it's still at 100%. I have had Data on and It has quite a big screen as well as some heavy apps like FB Messenger. My Galaxy S7 would be already at 60% even when it was brand new, after like 3 hours.

~ Be yourself everybody else is taken ~

Looks like Xiaomi has been Blacklisted in the USA? I'm no fan of China but this is a bit ridiculous. It's not the same level of the ban as Huawei so they have access to Android. It's just US investors can't invest in that company. Also, I read Xiaomi doesn't sell phones in the USA. That's kind of strange.

BTW after 5 months, I'm still very happy with my Redmi 9 phone. It's working great and I even learn how to get better photos using the camera. It has some really good options and features for the cam. Also, they seem to keep pumping more models belong to the 9 series. I saw one called Redmi 9C which comes with a Mediatek Helio G35 processor. It's cheaper than Redmi 9 too.

We bought a Xaiomi Mi 10T Pro for work as a development device and I'd honestly have to say it is a solid phone. I believe it has 8GB of Ram and internal storage starting at 128GB. We are developing some apps and needed an Android based phone so we could begin the development for the platform.
Thank you to CubeData and Posts4VPS for the services of VPS 8.
(01-26-2021, 05:44 PM)xdude Wrote: Looks like Xiaomi has been Blacklisted in the USA? I'm no fan of China but this is a bit ridiculous. It's not the same level of the ban as Huawei so they have access to Android. It's just US investors can't invest in that company. Also, I read Xiaomi doesn't sell phones in the USA. That's kind of strange......

Yes, it is unfortunate to hear that Xiaomi has been blacklisted by the U.S. So, the U.S. investors cannot buy Xiaomi shares in stock markets any more.

But in fact Xiaomi is only a home appliances manufacturer. Most people are not even considering Xiaomi as a high-tech company.

So, it is quite hard to imagine it could impair the security of the U.S. Smile

(01-27-2021, 10:33 AM)tryp4vps Wrote: Yes, it is unfortunate to hear that Xiaomi has been blacklisted by the U.S. So, the U.S. investors cannot buy Xiaomi shares in stock markets any more.

But in fact Xiaomi is only a home appliances manufacturer. Most people are not even considering Xiaomi as a high-tech company.

So, it is quite hard to imagine it could impair the security of the U.S.  Smile

I think It is very clear to most that It was never really a problem of security but an issue of trade war. If the US was concerned about security they could simply stop Huawei from selling phones in USA, however, the move to ban Huawei from acquiring Android from Google simply crippled the company and did not allow them to continue in the trajectory they were going...

Xiaomi is clever as to not meddle with the USA, and tbh after this ban they should stop selling anything in USA....If they were to get hit by a ban of the type Huawei got It could mean an end for their smartphone domination (especially in mid/budget smartphones)
We need a solid alternative to Android which can be used universally. These US trades crap effect everyone else too. But I think I think some of those big none US phone companies are developing couple of alternative platforms. Hopefully there will be a platform which can real competition to Android.

@tbelldesignco

Yes some of these latest Xiaomi phones are really worth their prices. Not just those high-end series but also there are really good low-end Redmi phones such as Redmi 9C.

(01-27-2021, 04:44 PM)xdude Wrote: We need a solid alternative to Android which can be used universally. These US trades crap effect everyone else too. But I think I think some of those big none US phone companies are developing couple of alternative platforms. Hopefully there will be a platform which can real competition to Android.

@tbelldesignco

Yes some of these latest Xiaomi phones are really worth their prices. Not just those high-end series but also there are really good low-end Redmi phones such as Redmi 9C.

I think the biggest edge to Android right now is the number of applications that are readily available on playstore (for free/paid), and because of its popularity its well tested by hackers and frequently gets security updates.

Such a thing would be hard to manage for a new OS, and would be an ambitious project to say the least. Still, the way USA is implementing domination using Android, I don't think it'd be long before a strong rival from China comes up with equal or better performance.

However that's not all there is to it, If such an OS was to be made by China, USA would most likely ban it on day 1 and won't allow it to be sold on US Soil...since we all know the majority of tech youtubers/tech magazines are USA based, they won't be able to review the new OS and thus it probably  won't gain any fame in US or the rest of the world.
OS is the real problem since Chinese phones have never conquered the American market. It's always Apple and Samsung. It's gonna be tough to get away from Android and move to a new OS for both companies and users but if it gives you better benefits I think it gonna be successful. I think the biggest problems are Gmail and Youtube. Everything else has alternatives. I'm positive about how it would turn. Plus Chinese population is not poor as it used to be. They are becoming a big share of the tourism industry already and their buying power is increasing. I think this trade war will benefit Chinese phone companies long term. They have increased their in-house developments like hardware etc and this is also becoming a problem for other countries which used to earn a lot by selling various technologies to them.

(01-28-2021, 04:53 PM)xdude Wrote: OS is the real problem since Chinese phones have never conquered the American market. It's always Apple and Samsung. It's gonna be tough to get away from Android and move to a new OS for both companies and users but if it gives you better benefits I think it gonna be successful. I think the biggest problems are Gmail and Youtube. Everything else has alternatives. I'm positive about how it would turn. Plus Chinese population is not poor as it used to be. They are becoming a big share of the tourism industry already and their buying power is increasing. I think this trade war will benefit Chinese phone companies long term. They have increased their in-house developments like hardware etc and this is also becoming a problem for other countries which used to earn a lot by selling various technologies to them.

Precisely my point, the trade ban was USA showing domination to China however in the long term It has forced China to prepare itself for such bans in the future and prepare themselves to have alternates of everything that is based in USA. Ultimately It will benefit them when they've fully prepared alternates of all things.

I beleive the new administration by Biden has agreed to review the Huawei ban, however I doubt he'll remove it now. (especially because he'll need to consult with allies). Huawei has still yet to recover from the ban however, due to Google's Domination in Android, many users are reluctant to switch to other services, especially due to lack of trust in Chinese built software. Majority are still content to go with other chinese brands like Xiaomi/OPPO (rightfully so), because of the lack of google services in Huawei.

I think after the Huawei ban It is clear that until Huawei's ban is lifted, Its not suitable to purchase Huawei right now especially if you're extra reliant on Google Services (most of us are nowadays), Xiaomi is the number one brand I'd recommend as they provide the best bang for the buck imo

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post
12-14-2018, 05:31 AM
Last Post: sagher

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting