arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how to install SMF Via FTP
Hello,
         Today i am going to show you how to install smf ( simple machine forums ) using ftp.

Lets Start

1st: Go to the Simple Machine Forums website and download the latest SMF version.

[Image: oIcvTfv.jpg]

2nd: Now extract the file you downloaded from the Simple Machine Forums.
[Image: UEQnlWH.jpg]
3rd: Start your FTP Client and login using your ftp details.I personally use FileZilla.
[Image: BDZplcz.jpg]
4th: Upload the extracted files to your site.
[Image: VaD9IS6.jpg]
5th: After Uploading files go your cpanel and create a database and database user.
Creating a Database with a Control Panel
If your hosting service provides a control panel interface, then this can be used to create a database. Selecting the "MySQL Databases" or "Database Wizard" options should take you to a page prompting you to create a MySQL database. With different hosts, these options may have different names.
SMF 2.0 supports MySQL, PostgreSQL and SQLite. SMF 1.1 supports only a MySQL database.

6th: Go to your site and install SMF.
  • Read the Given information and click continue.
[Image: l0Suoi5.jpg]

7th: Fill the given forum with informations and Click Continue
  • Server Name: localhost
  • Database Username: yourdatabasename
  • Database Password: typeyour database password
  • Table Prefix: The prefix for every table in the database. ( Leave it default )
[Image: OuhFhfs.png]

8th: Now you have to fill the form with your forum details.
  • Forum Name ( type your forum name ): my forum
  • Forum URL ( your website url where ): test.myweb.com
  • Gzip Output (Compress output to save bandwidth.): This function does not work properly on all servers, but can save you a lot of bandwidth
  • Database Sessions(Use the database for sessions instead of using files.):This feature is almost always for the best, as it makes sessions more dependable 
  • UTF-8 Character Set(Use UTF-8 as default character set):This feature lets both the database and the forum use an international character set, UTF-8. This can be useful when working with multiple languages that use different character sets.
  • Allow Stat Collection( Allow Simple Machines to Collect Basic Stats Monthly):If enabled, this will allow Simple Machines to visit your site once a month to collect basic statistics. This will help us make decisions as to which configurations to optimize the software for.
[Image: uPhoWFn.jpg]
9th: this page show that your forum setting is now saved.  Click Continue
[Image: AxubIUk.jpg]
10th: Now you have to create your admin account. Fill the form and click Continue.
[*]Your username (administrator user): Admin
[*]Password: myadminaccountpass
[*]Email Address: [email protected]
[Image: UbXOZAP.jpg]

Here your works done.Your new SMF forum is ready.

Thanks
Nice tutorial, though SMF is quite easy to install and use, many members may find this very useful, good job!
Thanks to ShadowHosting and Post4VPS for my VPS 5!
Such a good organized tutorial, I appreciate that. What you should consider (if you're making more tutorials) is installing Discourse, which some users find it hard to do.
Or just directly install from Softaculous, only if available, just in a one click though, better choice and easy.
(03-30-2017, 07:57 AM)Lampard Wrote: Or just directly install from Softaculous, only if available, just in a one click though, better choice and easy.

I have already posted a thread about this.
As it is here: https://post4vps.com/thread-1130.html
SMF 2.0 is almost a decade old. I really appreciate your effort, but would have been nice if you did this for some other software.
Thanks  @Post4VPS

(04-01-2017, 03:39 PM)meetdilip Wrote: SMF 2.0 is almost a decade old. I really appreciate your effort, but would have been nice if you did this for some other software.

Thanks for your feedback. Next time i shall try to create more attractive tutorial.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post
05-09-2021, 04:39 PM
Last Post: deanhills

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting