arrow_upward

Pages (2):
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
use removable usb drive as a virtual ram memory in windows 7, vista, 8
Hello friends. as i already post a tutorial about using Pen Drive as a Shared RAM memory in Linux OS. now i tell you how to do this in Windows 7, 8 , Vista.
It's not hard to turn an extra USB stick lying around that's collecting dust into extra memory for your computer, allowing it to run speedier and manage more applications better.

1. Rename your thumb drive as "RAM DRIVE" or something similar while you format your Drive with FAT32 system , so you can see which drive is being used as RAM.
  2. Delete all the stuff on the flash drive. Check for hidden files.Better to Format it completely because after it convert as a part of RAM you can't use it as a storage device until you rewind all these process.
  3. Right click on My Computer, and go to Properties. Once there, click on Advanced and go to the system output's Settings.
  4. Click on Advanced, and then Edit.
  5. Click on your thumb drive above, and select "user-defined size." Here you can see the size of your flash drive.
  6. Calculate the size of the flash drive, and subtract 5 Mb.
  7. Type this number in the first box. In the second box, type in the same number.
  8. Click Set and confirm all your settings, applying them wherever you can.
  9. Restart your computer.
    Here is some step by step images. that can better explain.
    [Image: aid1816689-728px-Use-Pen-Drive-As-RAM-Step-11.jpg][Image: aid1816689-728px-Use-Pen-Drive-As-RAM-Step-12.jpg][Image: aid1816689-728px-Use-Pen-Drive-As-RAM-Step-13.jpg][Image: aid1816689-728px-Use-Pen-Drive-As-RAM-Step-14.jpg][Image: aid1816689-728px-Use-Pen-Drive-As-RAM-Step-15.jpg][Image: aid1816689-728px-Use-Pen-Drive-As-RAM-Step-16.jpg]
Heart LOVE FOR ALL  HATRED FOR NONE Heart
I dont think anyone should do this as it will make your system more slow .
I dont like use virtual memory. Its is just "virtual" . But virtual memory is needed. But if too much virtual ram . Your system will run slowly .
And use usb drive as virtual ram is not good idea if your usb drive have slow transfer speed
Sorry for My Bad English
I am Web Developer || Python, NodeJs, C# Programer
My Fiverr Profile
That not an good idea its will create more problem But why you used it?
Well Nice idea But i dont need to use it since i have alot of ram so i dont need it maybe become handy for someone else
dont use full upercase in your title.
This Idea is not so popular now. as most updated systems already have good piece of RAM. but as second world countries. mostly using P4 or old SD,DDR,DDR1 RAMs. and with the passage of time they are not available in market. so people use this idea. and it's really works. as i also use it with 8GB Flash with high speed USB port.
But now new systems already have 4 to 8 GB of RAM.
Heart LOVE FOR ALL  HATRED FOR NONE Heart
I haven't tried this but this method can truly useful if your using an old pc / laptop which has a lower value of ram.
Nice tutorial but wouldn't be faster if you use your Harddisk space as Virtual memory than a flash drive ? Sata HDDs and also SSD drives have very fast bus speeds these days.

~ Be yourself everybody else is taken ~

(03-05-2017, 01:29 AM)xdude Wrote: Nice tutorial but wouldn't be faster if you use your Harddisk space as Virtual memory than a flash drive ? Sata HDDs and also SSD drives have very fast bus speeds these days.

by the way if you use ssd . windows will refuse to enable readyboost it will just say your pc drive is too fast you dont need readyboost
Terminal
humanpuff69@FPAX:~$ Thanks To Shadow Hosting And Post4VPS for VPS 5
Pages (2):

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting