arrow_upward

Pages (2):
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Graphic Cards/GPU
Hey,
There is alot of debate on graphic cards/GPU performances on our gaming communities, so i thought to bring this matter to this forum as well, since we got many experts on this forum.
actually my real question is: Why lower specifications Graphic cards works better than high specs? (almost all times)
its not only my experience but many other users experienced it, I had a GTX 660 and my friend had a GTX 1080 but i was getting much better FPS from him
I don't know where u got that from , that is not true at all lol , if this was the matter why would they be more expensive ? xd GTX 660 is no where close to GTX 1080 , I dont know what program you checked FPS on but 1080 is a beast.
Thanks to Host4Fun and Post4VPS for my VPS 1.
I don't know where did you get this totally wrong information.

When speaking of hardware we can "touch" the raw strength by just reading up the specifications: GDDR generation and amount, I/O flops capacity, architecture and so on. Comparing hardware performance is the most basic and easy action that we can do.

There is not special miracle that can happen on a circuit board. The capability of the hardware are fixed at t its creation, software optimization such as nvidia drivers can improve the performance with the most recent technologies but they can't keep that for long time. The raw power required for newly technologies is increasing without any sign of slow.
Thanks to Post4VPS and Bladenodefor VPS 14
It is very highly unlikely if not even impossible for a GTX 1080 to be as slow as or even slower than any other card below it or older than it.

There are factors that can however affect the performance towards the bad site and leading to a similar effect: a) different hardware is bottlenecking the GPU, b) there is a problem with power delivery to the GPU that throttles the power, c) the GPU has thermal issues and gets heavily throttled to prevent overheating or burning up and d) incompatible or old hardware is used.

a) Imagine using a GTX 1080 with a i3 CPU. This won't go very well. The CPU will be at its limit almost instantly and therefore bottleneck the GPU. This in returns causes the GPU to wait a lot.... and not bring the full performance because it doesn't get the data from the CPU at the fast speed that it needs to process the data with full performance.

b) Usually if the PSU doesn't deliver enough power the system wouldn't boot up due to "no video/GPU" error. However depending in the GPU you might be actually able to start the computer and use it. As soon as you start doing graphic intensive tasks and have NOT ENOUGH juice to run them the GPU will do power throttle and simply hold back all performance due to lack of power.

c) Well, not much to explain here I guess. GPU is running to hot due to some issues. Bad coolers? Broken coolers maybe even? Thermal paste dried up... The GPU reaches its thermal throttle temperature and will lower its power input/output and performance to keep the temperatures as low as possible.

d) Well, that is a more complex thing. GTX 1080 is a powerful beast and a still more recent GPU. It needs PCIe 3.0 and while you can use it on PCIe 2.0 the performance will be horrible because of the lacking PCIe bandwidth with PCIe 2.0. This again causes issues that lead to performance throttle as the GPU doesn't get the data fast enough to be able to process it at full speed. And other issues might be incompatible chipsets on mainboards that simply can't handle such powerful cards.

Last but not least don't forget posible faults in the hardware of the computer. While they might not lead to the computer breaking they might cause performance and stability issues.

And what @LightDestory mentioned about drivers and etc is also absolutely correct and should be considered.

Despite all of this the GTX 1080 is however still faster at all tasks than the GTX 660 which by now is a very old card and wouldn't be able to run most things nowadays on high settings.

Here is a comparison of the two based on the reference models: https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nv...3603vs2162 (non Ti models).
[Image: zHHqO5Q.png]
I suggest using GTX 1070, its a balance between budget and performance. And your price per performance will match it here as it can easily do 60fps on most game. You don't need to buy 1080 because its not that much a difference than this card and 1080Ti which is what you wanna go for if you have more budget.
No one knows what the future holds, that's why its potential is infinite
The only thing that a lower end gpu might be better at (compared to a higher end gpu) is cost per fps, other than that, you'll never see this happening. Either your friend might have a counterfeit videocard(The ones where they flash the card to be something that Its not, Like flashing a GTX 550 to be a 1050 Ti), or maybe his card has a thermal issue, or maybe the game you benchmarked isn't that dependent on the GPU so his cpu is bottlenecking his card.
Thanks to ShadowHosting and Post4VPS for my VPS 5!
(09-28-2019, 05:49 AM)Honey Wrote: The only thing that a lower end gpu might be better at (compared to a higher end gpu) is cost per fps, other than that, you'll never see this happening. Either your friend might have a counterfeit videocard(The ones where they flash the card to be something that Its not, Like flashing a GTX 550 to be a 1050 Ti), or maybe his card has a thermal issue, or maybe the game you benchmarked isn't that dependent on the GPU so his cpu is bottlenecking his card.

Most gpu information tool like gpu z already have an ability to detect fake GPU . Most of the fake GPU still identified the chip / codename as the real gpu like gtx 550 . For thermal issue gpu z also have that feature you can look at the gpu temps

most of the time the price to performance is held by mid range like rx 470/570 and 1060 . gpu lower than that mostly have less price to perofrmance except for used part
Terminal
humanpuff69@FPAX:~$ Thanks To Shadow Hosting And Post4VPS for VPS 5
generally this thing happens due to a bad combination and which i have faced when i was not much into computer.
I wont tell my combination to you guys or you guys would laugh but its happens due to mis match of PC specifications and GPU specifications and @kabir145 as far as i know you since as we are from one family you have got a low specifications PC and you are trying to use a good specification GPU on it.
It wont work in this way as far as i know a low specifications GPU will work better with your PC than higher specs.
Sorry, if you noticed typos in my post since i dont have laptop atm and typing from mobile is pain.
It seems you didn't provide a lot of information for these CPUs. Cpu can bottleneck GPU. Please provide all specs with PSU so we can at least see what is happening. And it is no way that 660 can beat 1080 unless it is a 450 flashed with 1080 bios.
(09-26-2019, 07:00 PM)kabir145 Wrote: Hey,
There is alot of debate on graphic cards/GPU performances on our gaming communities, so i thought to bring this matter to this forum as well, since we got many experts on this forum.
actually my real question is: Why lower specifications Graphic cards works better than high specs? (almost all times)
its not only my experience but many other users experienced it, I had a GTX 660 and my friend had a GTX 1080 but i was getting much better FPS from him
It's not my friend. Are you wrong or one of the following possibilities.
There are several possibilities regarding this issue.
1. Your friend's graphics card is fake
2. Manufacturer (as you know graphics cards have different qualities, and several companies have purchased the project privately and produce Nvidia graphics cards and market them with fake or low quality specifications. ( It is likely).
3. Presenting the wrong graphics card from your friend.
Anyway, this is a well-known issue and everyone knows your words are not true. It is likely to be a problem. Now there are some other problems that I didn't mention but don't think that the old graphics card is the same as the new one.
However, you can show your graphics card or your friend to an expert to illustrate the specifics of the 2 graphics cards and tell you if they are original or fake.
Thanks Post4VPS
Pages (2):

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post
04-03-2018, 03:31 PM
Last Post: chanalku91

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting