arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Linux alternative for Windows - how does Linux Mint rate?
(11-20-2020, 08:06 PM)deanhills Wrote: Hmmmm not that attractive, but who knows when one starts to get to know it better it may have better functionality and ease of use. Can already see it looking at device drivers and updates, so that must be a good sign for sure.

XFCE is just an environment the theming capabilities it shows on majaro is amazing without any compromise of resources. Manjaro is based on arch linux unlike it's rival here ubuntu which is based on debian(although ubuntu have commercial license for some parts unlike manjaro or any other "open source" linux distro). If you are wondering what good is arch linux when compare to debian? well arch linux actually don't have any major release or simply known as LTS version they follow a rolling release pattern means no matter what version of arch linux you have upgrading it would be much easier and you will get all the updates without any hassle, one more thing arch uses his own package manager called pacman(yeah i know but the thing is this pacman doesn't actually eat those package but instead install them) so just typing pacman -Syu apache will do the trick just fine. XFCE and KDE both been developed as an alternative windows shell making them user friendly for those who just started their journey of linux. When using XFCE you will feel a familiarity with lots of things as the native UI is much like windows 7 or vista shells while on KDE the UI and UX is much like windows 10(atleast their new version is) i have been thinking to make KDE as my daily driver ofcourse with either manjaro or centOS/ParrotOS there are many things i like about XFCE but KDE has it's own charm you can definitely try these.

EDIT: there are other things to be consider as well like if you really want an windows alternative where you can feel like you are still on the windows KDE is way to go for windows 10 users while XFCE is the right thing for windows 7/vista lovers. Budgie(originally created by solus linux for their inhouse linux distro) gives you a feeling of using a MacOS while MATE and GNOME are now standard ubuntu desktop environments. LXDE/LXQT are basic desktop environment one can find they use lesser resources comapre to other desktop environment but with basic features there are no advance customization(atleat none i could have find). If we compare all these deskto environments here are my thoughts about them.

Windows XP/98 -> LXQT/LXDE
Windows 7/vista -> XFCE
Windows 10 -> KDE(Officially known as KDE Plasma)
MacOS -> Solus Budgie
Win7 shell + Mac -> GNOME/Mate

Linux is like a vast ocean when comes to user preference some like GNOME while some hate it to their bones some prefer LXQT/LXDE as it's basic and they only need to work on console anyway while some don't want to see it on their machines just because it's "Basic". Some guys promote Budgie as they say you will get a MacOS feel while some says use KDE you will feel like using "Windows" but everything depends on the end user what he actually need and required, i mean suppose if he have a low end machine i will recommend him either XFCE or LXQT but if he have good enough pc i will just link several desktop environemnt and throw them at him and simply walk out saying "You can choose whatever you like it doesn't matter as long as you are familiar with it's UI and UX".
[Image: a3ad5cfbf5.png]
[Image: trk1]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Best Linux alternative for Windows - how does Linux Mint rate? - by TrK - 11-21-2020, 06:23 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting