arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Linux alternative for Windows - how does Linux Mint rate?
(11-22-2020, 07:45 AM)Mashiro Wrote: @deanhills

How did you come to the conclusion that Windows is also based on Linux?

Initially Windows was a graphical addon for MS-DOS. Later on with Windows 95 it has become its own kernel and OS. With Windows XP Microsoft introduced another major Windows kernel version called "NT" for new technology.

And even MS-DOS wasn't based on Linux or Unix. It is its own thing based on PC DOS which in return bases on other earlier forms of DOS. Again no relation to Unix or Linux.

What nonsense to say that Windows is/was based on Linux or Unix.

I do believe Windows got its start on Xenix which was a Unix Flavor. They have since moved away from that, but it was a brief blip in Window's history. There was a split in the late-70's early-80s where Apple took parts of the BSD Core to create Darwin which is the foundation for macOS and Windows moved from Xenix to DOS when they started to finalize the build for Windows 1.

My turn for on topic: I used Mint Cinnamon to build a LFS Project and I did like it. It was a stable core to build on and if I were to redo the project, I would probably use it again.
Thank you to CubeData and Posts4VPS for the services of VPS 8.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Best Linux alternative for Windows - how does Linux Mint rate? - by tbelldesignco - 11-23-2020, 02:22 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting