arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Easy way to upgrade Debian 9 to Debian 10
@Mashiro  I've just upgraded Debian 8 through to Debian 10 with your tutorial!

Quote:Distributor ID: Debian
Description:    Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)
Release:        10
Codename:       buster

Am curious. What does "No LSB modules are available" mean?  

I checked Solus VM and it still shows Debian 8 even after a reboot.

I absolutely can't believe the improvement in speed after I rebooted my VPS.  It ran some more packages after I booted in again.  I then used your apt-get upgrades again, but there was really nothing to do and everything was up to date.

Yesterday I was on Debian 9.  I then wanted to continue with my quest today to try and install a Web Server without a panel on Debian 9.  I was unsuccessful, but then when I wanted to reinstall the OS in Solus VM I had reached the final number of reinstalls for this month.  Tongue

I then discovered that with our WHMCS Panel I am still allowed to make more reinstalls, however the most up to date template in WHMCS was Debian 8.  I then reinstalled the myVestaCP Fork and to my surprise it was a totally different reinstall that is probably an install version specific to Debian 8 and very dated.  It had for example mysql instead of MariaDB.  It was OK in speed, however MUCH slower than Debian 9.  I missed that oompf of Debian 9.  So when I saw your tutorial, I went for it and couldn't believe how easy it was.  Totally brilliant in its simplicity.   Cool

OK let's see what dpeca's script says of my Debian as it always has comments.  For example when I was on Debian 8 and Debian 9 it asked for me to upgrade.  Let's see what it says now.

There was no comment about the Debian version when I installed dpeca's myVestaCP script which means mine is up to date.  I had to delete Exim4 and all of its dependencies though.  Before I could continue with the script.  I had to search around a lot to figure out how to delete Exim4 cleanly, as a simple remove purge was not enough.  I then learned here how to do it:

List Exim4 packages first:

dpkg -l | grep exim

And then delete them one by one in the list.  And then everything speeded along from there.  Big Grin

I've just installed WordPress.  MariaDB is back.  And again the speed going from Debian 8 to 10 is unbelievable.  Debian 8 is not slow, but Debian 10 is like lightning!  Installation of plugins the fastest yet.

I'd never be able to go back to CentOS again.  There is just such a great difference in speed.
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  

Messages In This Thread
RE: Easy way to upgrade Debian 9 to Debian 10 - by deanhills - 05-16-2021, 03:16 AM

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting