arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Google Search getting smarter or dumber ?
(12-03-2019, 10:37 PM)rudra Wrote: (...)
it seems in their search for relevance and accuracy and contextual signal and all that, employing AI and what not,they are returning some really poor results sometimes..

This is just one example. But it makes me happy and hopeful, that may be other engines will get more of the share and loosen the grip with which Google is holding the market.

Such a monopoly is not healthy. It gives them just too much power to control publicity and exposure. not good at all.

please spread the word and ask people to use other search engines too.

oh...i would love if you guys can come up with similar examples of your own and post them below. thanks

When it comes to search engines Google was and still is (with some bias) the best, and I'm really not a Google apologist, quite the opposite most of the time.

But one should be aware that Google has INTERESTS (many interests); some are trivially mundane (like business-related stuff) where it algorithmically priorities certain URLs over others, others are ideologically motivated (like censoring certain Urls while promoting others) and others are (ahum..) US national security related (and we don't wanna go there :-) ).....

You see it's not all black and white and the 'smartness' of Google searches will depend on what you're searching for and where Google's own interest lays... In this sense, the Web has really changed from the times of the 'Don't be Evil' slogan thing.

With all the above in mind, I'll still go for Google Search doing my daily queries.. It's like as they say, better the devil you know...

In contrast, I was aware of the DuckDuckGo since it's beginnings back in 2008/9 (and I'm aware of its advocacy for privacy), but I've never really seen it as a real alternative to Google search.
VirMach's Buffalo_VPS-9 Holder (Dec. 20 - July 21)
microLXC's Container Holder (july 20 - ?)
VirMach's Phoenix_VPS-9 Holder (Apr. 20 - June 20)
NanoKVM's NAT-VPS Holder (jan. 20 - ?)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Google Search getting smarter or dumber ? - by fChk - 12-08-2019, 06:47 AM

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting