arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Linux alternative for Windows - how does Linux Mint rate?
I like Ubuntu with the LX DE desktop. It's less resource hungry than gnome (the default ubuntu desktop) and the window manager reminds me a lot of windows xp. My favorite part of LX DE is the start menu launcher, which organizes everything very much like the windows start button did in the days of yore. I've pictured it below.

I've heard a lot of good things about Mint, but last time I looked at it, it seemed a bit too flashy for me - too focused on making a desktop with all the bells and whistles. I prefer a more minimal setup where I have the opportunity of adding what I like rather than removing what's obnoxious.

CentOS is just as good as Ubuntu, I'm sure. One could debate their preference but they're both solid, well supported OS. The biggest difference in my opinion is the package manager; of course you can install whatever package you want in  a different distribution.

Generally LX DE plays nice with the ubuntu repositories. The only recent problem I've had was in setting up a local samba network: the LX DE default file explorer didn't have support for the current version of samba so I was forced to find a workaround - but not a big deal.

In the process of fixing the samba networking issue, I followed some esoteric instructions in APT as instructed, and was told by the terminal: "This Apt has Super Cow Powers!" which was one of the coolest things I've ever seen. I don't think windows ever gets Super Cow Powers. I don't know what it means, but I'll be laughing about it for years to come.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Best Linux alternative for Windows - how does Linux Mint rate? - by fitkoh - 11-20-2020, 08:30 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting