arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chrome advert frustration! Chrome alternatives?
(06-12-2021, 05:35 PM)mzltest Wrote: For me I do not use adblockers much.When a website displays ads that were too annoying I often report the.ad covering content to make it disappear.(..................)

Interesting!.. Because I'm the anti-AD guy on the Web!.. Never used them on my own websites nor allow them to show up when browsing the Web.

In the pre-WebApp era (the era when JavaScript played a passive role), blocking ADs was as simple as using :
> a generic AD-blocker which use a pre-built database of well-known AD-servers, OR
> a simple Cross-site origin blocker that blindly block any third-party assets loading from another origin than the one initially loaded.

Then, in the post-WebApp era, things got complicated given that one needs to activate JavaScript for the website to load in the first place thus allowing the website owner to check for the presence of any AD-blocker before loading the website itself.

In this case, I generally resort to:
> just drop the whole thing and close the tab if I don't really need the website info, OR
> Use my WebDev skills to kill the JavaScript code that blocks the loading on the fly.

My bottom line hereis this: serving ADs should never be compulsory on the Web. Webmasters have the right to include them in their websites BUT WebUsers MUST also have the right to refuse them without being blocked from the website. A large portion of websites still function along this model -which is commendable- but an increasing portion is shifting to that unhealthy mandatory AD-driven Web experience model, as @deanhills complained in the OP.
VirMach's Buffalo_VPS-9 Holder (Dec. 20 - July 21)
microLXC's Container Holder (july 20 - ?)
VirMach's Phoenix_VPS-9 Holder (Apr. 20 - June 20)
NanoKVM's NAT-VPS Holder (jan. 20 - ?)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Chrome advert frustration! Chrome alternatives? - by fChk - 06-13-2021, 06:58 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post
04-29-2021, 01:28 PM
Last Post: LightDestory
04-18-2020, 01:48 PM
Last Post: fChk

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting