arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts on my Portfolio?
(09-26-2020, 02:27 PM)tbelldesignco Wrote: Thank you everyone for the feedback! I have made the suggested changes and I have the Privacy Policy Page updated and correctly linked and will be looking into CloudFair for more security and page caching to hopefully speed up load times. Taking out the Parallax image from the front page has helped greatly and I will be researching more optimization options for the future of the TBDC Site.

While I hate to recommend google, google analytics does have some useful features. In this discussion, the feature where it itemizes load times for every object on a given page might be handy. On the plus side, it's free. On the downside, in my experience, page loads occasionally hang on google analytics.

If you don't want google constantly poking at your site, you could activate a plugin designed to work with analytics (most of the SEO plugins do), input your analytics ID, make your diagnosis, then remove whatever you don't want, including the analytics/plugins.

Cloudflare is a really great free service. I especially like the ip6 proxy - very nice if you happen to scoop up a deal on an ip6 only box. Unfortunately, cloudflare was making strange things happen with my internal nginx proxy, that I was too lazy to fix: too many redirects, so I don't currently use it.

[edit]
While this discussion is ongoing, I took some time to examine my page speed insights on google.developers.com.

I scored good on the desktop version (90/100) but only average on the mobile version (58/100), mainly because of images not being served in "next gen format." Google recommends some plugins which can convert my images to the proper format.

I tried about a dozen such plugins and they all failed. Most of them require an api to work, and require one to sign up for an account on some proprietary service and have the converted images served from a cdn. Not my cup of tea. There are a few that supposedly work without an api, but even after the plugin "successfully" converted my images, they're still pngs and google still doesn't like them. After spending 2 hours testing I gave up and decided to just convert all my images in gimp and reupload them.

I figured I'd share this experience here 1. to save others from going through the same trouble 2. to see if anyone has experience with a image conversion plugin that actually works and doesn't require an account with a service.

[edit2] If this is getting too far off topic advise and I can find/start a topic regarding image conversion in the wordpress subforum.

Messages In This Thread
Thoughts on my Portfolio? - by tbelldesignco - 09-21-2020, 12:33 AM
RE: Thoughts on my Portfolio? - by Arkiven4 - 09-21-2020, 03:20 PM
RE: Thoughts on my Portfolio? - by tbelldesignco - 09-21-2020, 03:39 PM
RE: Thoughts on my Portfolio? - by Arkiven4 - 09-23-2020, 03:14 AM
RE: Thoughts on my Portfolio? - by Mashiro - 09-22-2020, 03:23 PM
RE: Thoughts on my Portfolio? - by tbelldesignco - 09-22-2020, 03:32 PM
RE: Thoughts on my Portfolio? - by tbelldesignco - 09-23-2020, 02:46 PM
RE: Thoughts on my Portfolio? - by deanhills - 09-23-2020, 09:05 PM
RE: Thoughts on my Portfolio? - by tbelldesignco - 09-24-2020, 02:25 PM
RE: Thoughts on my Portfolio? - by Sn1F3rt - 09-25-2020, 08:39 AM
RE: Thoughts on my Portfolio? - by tbelldesignco - 09-26-2020, 02:27 PM
RE: Thoughts on my Portfolio? - by fitkoh - 09-26-2020, 04:09 PM
RE: Thoughts on my Portfolio? - by tbelldesignco - 09-27-2020, 06:23 PM
RE: Thoughts on my Portfolio? - by fitkoh - 09-28-2020, 03:47 AM
RE: Thoughts on my Portfolio? - by tbelldesignco - 09-28-2020, 03:35 PM
RE: Thoughts on my Portfolio? - by tbelldesignco - 11-16-2020, 03:19 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting