arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows 7 to Windows 10 Driver Updates?
I'm preparing for doing an upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10.  I've got a Dell Optiplex 9020 i7 computer.  When I did research on driver updates, Dell has a package of drivers for Optiplex 9020 for Windows 10 in a .cab folder.  

I'm wondering.  Do I wait until after the upgrade and then go through each device to update the drivers, or does Microsoft have a library of drivers of better known brand computers as part of the upgrade?

Or do I download the drivers to a folder that Microsoft can select from during the upgrade process?

I'd like to know whether I could download this cab folder, unzip it and then file it in a folder where Microsoft would find it during the upgrade process - would Microsoft be looking for drivers for Windows 10?  Or is that wasted energy and I should wait until after the upgrade?

During my research I noted that the drivers are usually found in the Windows/System32 Driver folders.  Any specific folder where one should download the driver update package as there is a pick between Drivers or DriverStore Folders.

Why this is important to me before the upgrade, is that I did a simulation exercise of upgrading my old Lenovo Thinkpad X201 from Windows 7 Professional to Windows 10 Professional.  All went well, except I noticed (could also be my imagination) a slight deterioration in the quality of the display - it's a little fuzzy - not a lot, but enough to get my attention.  So first thing I did was to go to the Device Manager and update the driver but Windows then said that it has installed the best driver that is available. Problem is when I then checked the details of the driver it says Version 1.3.1.0.   I then did lots of research and downloaded the Intel Driver & Support Assistant and then found both Windows 7 and Windows 10 drivers for Version: 8.15.10.2900 Intel HD Graphics the last update dated 2012.  I then managed to download a .cab folder and unzipped it, but when I then tried to update the driver again, Windows 10 insists it has the most up to date driver loaded.

Do I need to load the unzipped folder to a specific directory?  What should I do for Windows to really update the driver?
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  

Messages In This Thread
Windows 7 to Windows 10 Driver Updates? - by deanhills - 11-07-2020, 06:02 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post
02-07-2021, 10:00 AM
Last Post: OldMeister
07-29-2018, 08:34 PM
Last Post: deanhills
02-28-2018, 06:38 PM
Last Post: kabir145

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting