arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Installation of WP without Panel - Permissions Issue
I've been quite busy over the last two days with a project to install a Web Server and a WordPress blog without a panel. Took a lot of study and learning, and in the end the only thing I couldn't sort out was the permissions for WordPress. The plugins didn't come up when I worked in the dashboard of my WP installation.

I installed a LAMP Stack on CentOS 7:

Webserver httpd
Disabled SELinux
MariaDB server
phpmyadmin
php 7.3
Ioncube
WordPress

Felt quite funny to be working from var/www/html instead of home/admin/web/..... The first part went OK. I was able to get a Website up easy.

Challenge came with Wordpress. I was happy I could get it up and running. Once installed, when the install windows came up promptly when I typed in my URL. With the database info I provided (installed with MariaDB from command prompt), WordPress was not too happy - it could not create the config file automatically but prompted me to create and upload it manually. And that worked out OK. Problem came with trying to download plugins. The plugins wouldn't come up for selection. I was able to install them manually through uploading zipped folders from my computer. But was unable to update them, or create new ones directly from WordPress. Something went wonky with the permissions.

In all of my previous installations all I had to do was to provide the following simple chown command after installation of WP so that plugins could be installed and updated from the dashboard:

chown admin -R *

However with the installation of Apache through command line, it can't find the user "Admin". So I now wonder what I need to do to be able to use:
chown admin -R *

I then Googled this to death - tried all kinds of other things - none of which helped:

chown apache:apache /var/www/html
chown -R apache /var/www/html/

I finally followed the suggestion in this recommendation - which I think broke my WP site in the end:
https://www.ryadel.com/en/set-file-syste...s-7-chmod/

Created a script file that I uploaded to the root of my var/www/html folder with this bash command:

bash set-wordpress-permissions.sh /var/www/

And I think it broke the WordPress installation as I was no longer able to get in.

So does any one know what I need to do to get chown admin -R* to work? I.e. create admin?

I'm going back to VestaCP temporarily, so I can check the conf files.

I need some command for mariadb I think to make wordpress happy. Give it permissions. At least WP had a workaround with getting me to upload the wp-config.php manually. But that was the first hickup.

I also need a command for setting up admin to work with wordpress.
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
lockThread Closed 

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post
02-23-2020, 05:34 PM
Last Post: deanhills
07-21-2019, 02:17 AM
07-19-2019, 09:23 PM

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting