arrow_upward

Pages (2):
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Linux alternative for Windows - how does Linux Mint rate?
I am currently using Debian 9 for my daily use because Windows is just slow and laggy. If I have newer laptop probably I'll use Windows more often as it also offer WSL. I don't install WSL in my Windows due to being so laggy and not reliable, I cannot even browse with peace. Lagging everywhere.

Actually I want to question about the topic. Are you asking the community what is the nearest Windows alternative from graphical interface or just something that would work best and the most reliable and don't care too much about the graphical?

(11-20-2020, 08:06 PM)deanhills Wrote: Hmmmm not that attractive, but who knows when one starts to get to know it better it may have better functionality and ease of use.  Can already see it looking at device drivers and updates, so that must be a good sign for sure.

XFCE is more recommended for a low-end laptop/desktop like my laptop. I'm using XFCE right now and it's just smooth, better than when I use GNOME. I wish I can use GNOME as it's more beautiful but my laptop just don't support it. I suggest to try the higher-end graphics first then downgrade if it's laggy.
Thanks to Limitless Hosting and Post4VPS for providing me excellent VPS 13!
(11-22-2020, 07:45 AM)Mashiro Wrote: I use Linux Mint with Cinnamon on my Acer Swift One and it works great. The UI of Cinnamon is bascially like Windows in terms of taskbar and menu. So you easily get used to it in that regards. Unlike the Ubuntu GNOME variant.
The YouTube Tutorials I've been working through have been on Linux Mint Cinnamon. It definitely looks doable. And must say although they referred to Ubuntu, particularly with the last upgrade to Version 20, the installation feels pretty much like Windows. Minus an avalanche of updates. I get the feeling of less attributes, but greater simplicity and security as a result.

These are the tutorials I've been working through for Linux Mint so far:

Beginner's Guide to Installing Linux Mint 19

Linux Mint Version 20

Linux Mint Configuraiton
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
(11-22-2020, 07:45 AM)Mashiro Wrote: @deanhills

How did you come to the conclusion that Windows is also based on Linux?

Initially Windows was a graphical addon for MS-DOS. Later on with Windows 95 it has become its own kernel and OS. With Windows XP Microsoft introduced another major Windows kernel version called "NT" for new technology.

And even MS-DOS wasn't based on Linux or Unix. It is its own thing based on PC DOS which in return bases on other earlier forms of DOS. Again no relation to Unix or Linux.

What nonsense to say that Windows is/was based on Linux or Unix.

I do believe Windows got its start on Xenix which was a Unix Flavor. They have since moved away from that, but it was a brief blip in Window's history. There was a split in the late-70's early-80s where Apple took parts of the BSD Core to create Darwin which is the foundation for macOS and Windows moved from Xenix to DOS when they started to finalize the build for Windows 1.

My turn for on topic: I used Mint Cinnamon to build a LFS Project and I did like it. It was a stable core to build on and if I were to redo the project, I would probably use it again.
Thank you to CubeData and Posts4VPS for the services of VPS 8.
(11-23-2020, 02:22 AM)tbelldesignco Wrote: I do believe Windows got its start on Xenix which was a Unix Flavor. They have since moved away from that, but it was a brief blip in Window's history. There was a split in the late-70's early-80s where Apple took parts of the BSD Core to create Darwin which was the foundation for macOS until they transitioned to Intel Based Macs in the Mid-2000's and Windows moved from Xenix to DOS when they started to finalize the build for Windows 1.

Aha @tbelldesignco I seem to remember in the history of things that there was this rivalry between Gates and Jobs.

Debate is on whether Gates personally made a huge contribution in code to Windows. He did make some, but from what I understand Bill Gates was quite good at buying what he needed such as the complete rights of DOS from Tim Patterson. Which he then improvised, adapted and licensed to hardware manufacturers:
https://www.quora.com/Did-Bill-Gates-con...of-Windows
Terminal
(11-23-2020, 02:22 AM)tbelldesignco Wrote: I do believe Windows got its start on Xenix which was a Unix Flavor. They have since moved away from that, but it was a brief blip in Window's history. There was a split in the late-70's early-80s where Apple took parts of the BSD Core to create Darwin which is the foundation for macOS and Windows moved from Xenix to DOS when they started to finalize the build for Windows 1.

Microsoft licensed the rights to use the Xenix Unix flavor brand with their modifications under the name "Microsoft Xenix" from AT&T. Nothing to do with Windows though. It was/is a Unix version that Microsoft used to distribute.

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenix
[Image: zHHqO5Q.png]
Sorry for the late reply, as I said earlier what you want to use is solely on your own decision at least in the field of open source or FOSS community my recommendations can be both amazingly good or terribly bad for a specific person so no one really uses the things like other do, it's simple not every Ryzen 9 3950x user uses this remarkable processor to play games some guys(there are many though) use the very same processor in their server builds and even in the compiler systems(I know at least Linus do that).

So what you want to use is your choice you are not forced in any way as for "windows" if my research(that I did earlier this year) is right Microsoft is shipping windows 10 with unmodified Linux Kernel(yeah you heard it right) but this kernel is not the OS one but used by its WSL2 features before that WSL was just an emulator to convert Linux Kernel API to NT Kernel API but they changed just get the support from Open Source/FOSS Devs, a remarkable step indeed.

Coming to Linux as windows, I said countless times it isn't possible a big no from me. Well technically you can get the look and UI/UX to be exact as windows with KDE and all but the difference in approach of functionality and user case won't be the same so i prefer having a unique look to linux instead of just being a "Copy of Windows UI", do notice that i said windows UI as linux isn't windows and with the amazing support from FOSS/Open Source community i don't think we need to compare them either so linux is linux and windows is windows, you can't run something that's built for linux on windows without any third party addon and errors which can be said same for the windows too, there will be issues, confusions, errors and unfamiliar software and that's the sole reason i always say just use a linux for some days and you will understand what you need, it isn't like windows you can remove the Desktop Environment and install another one if you don't like the current one sure there will be some erros but they aren't something unsoluble just hit the duckduckgo(my person searx instance is not ready XD so let's stick with duckduckgo) and you will get the solution but i am sure the solution will be just removing some packages left by the previous desktop environment.

To be honest I like both Windows and Linux but for different things, like for games I rather stick to windows then using proton/wine on Linux with a bunch of warnings and errors because of incompatible code, and for developing something really cost-effective Linux is the all-time winner in my eyes not only in the web development but in every field you can imagine, heck yeah even all of the supercomputers(i wish I had one imagine playing games on a supercomputer) in the world are running on Linux that means something. If I tell you the Linux kernel is the only kernel you can find anywhere from your android phones to your car navigation system to your GPS tracking devices(even mac is based on *nix kernel but it's not Linux), Linux is everywhere(just imagine a penguin staring you all day) and unlike NT Linux is much more sophisticated with custom infrastructures and the best part you can just compile the kernel with the APIs you want.

So yeah thanks for reading my long and senseless blabbering Tongue I don't mind blabbering more just say the word I will nuke you with some more.
[Image: a3ad5cfbf5.png]
[Image: trk1]
Thx for the huge post @TrK.  I get what you are saying.  Like Windows does have its uses like for Games.  And Linux is not necessarily at its best when used as Windows.  Linux should be used as Linux.  Interesting info that Microsoft is getting into Linux too.  Maybe they're seeing where geeks are going - like away from them - so are trying to keep them connected with Microsoft.  

Interesting to see you're using DuckDuckGo.  I'm still on Chrome and FireFox at the same time.  Best of both worlds.  

I got slightly side tracked with trying to upgrade a phpBB Forum.  But will be back on my Linux Mint Project again.  What attracts me too is the security one gets with a Linux "Windows" in exchange for the more limited apps.  So yes, can see myself using both, but first have to get sorted out with Linux desktop.
Terminal
(11-30-2020, 04:53 PM)deanhills Wrote: Interesting to see you're using DuckDuckGo.  I'm still on Chrome and FireFox at the same time.  Best of both worlds.  

I got slightly side tracked with trying to upgrade a phpBB Forum.  But will be back on my Linux Mint Project again.  What attracts me too is the security one gets with a Linux "Windows" in exchange for the more limited apps.  So yes, can see myself using both, but first have to get sorted out with Linux desktop.

Stopped using chrome long ago i just couldn't bear the resource hungryness and that stalking behaviour with every activity logged so yeah moving to firefox was one of the best descision i've ever made in my life.

phpBB good old days those platforms including mybb were best among the best but now i am fiddling with custom codes and yeah Flarum and discourse are now my goto forum platform for a forum, come to think of it i got a community domain(adminforums.net) lying in my account should i create a community? i guess nah managing a community takes too much of human resource.
[Image: a3ad5cfbf5.png]
[Image: trk1]
(12-02-2020, 07:43 AM)TrK Wrote: phpBB good old days those platforms including mybb were best among the best but now i am fiddling with custom codes and yeah Flarum and discourse are now my goto forum platform for a forum, come to think of it i got a community domain(adminforums.net) lying in my account should i create a community? i guess nah managing a community takes too much of human resource.
I can't get my teeth into discourse. I hate the fact that every time I log in, I have to check my e-mail for a code first. I'm also searching for functions, like the first time I used it it took ages to find where the log out link is "hidden". I wonder whether this could be because maybe it's simpler in phone view than desktop view? I always lose my temper with trying to get into discourse, and then trying to locate previous discussions. Forum seems so much simpler for me. You're right though. Managing a community does take daily attendance to the Forum. You can't just let it take care of itself. I don't want it to take care of itself though, as what's the point for being around and having the Forum then. Tongue
Terminal
Pages (2):

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting