arrow_upward

Pages (3):
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chrome advert frustration! Chrome alternatives?
Are there other members like me who are fed up with all of the ads in the middle of blog articles. It's become progressively worse since November last year to the point that I can barely differentiate between ad material and the content of articles!

I've disabled all of the settings for pop ups etc etc. Even went into ads by clicking on the cross to cross them out, and try to find a way to disable them. But not a chance.

Any suggestions for Chrome alternatives? I'm using Mozilla Firefox, which I find is a bit better but I like to have a backup like Chrome. I've just started to try out Brave last night. Any other or better suggestions?
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
Well, you don't like Adblock or what? I never find IT geeks that doesn't use Adblock, I think I find one now ...

I can recommend to use Adblock, it actually works. I forget what is the recommended one, I'm using Adblock - best ad blocker (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detai...m?hl=en-US). But some Reddit folks said that this plugin is bought by someone to allow ads in their website. Well until now, for me, it works fairly well.
Thanks to Limitless Hosting and Post4VPS for providing me excellent VPS 13!
Google is changing API calls and addon features to prevent ad blocking further and further with every version of Google Chrome. This is actually not even new news! It's old news. Google wanted to simply ban ad blocking with one upcoming version but people were really angry and against it. So Google didn't do it so quickly... instead they are pushing small changes that make ad blockers useless step by step. I noticed that... EVEN with µBlock Origin ad blocker there are still more ads on websites when you compare Firefox with µBlock Origin or other ad blockers. The future of Chrome will bring more issues in this field.

@deanhills

If you don't use an ad blocker go for µBlock Origin if you need Chrome. Otherwise actually go fo Firefox with µBlock Origin.
[Image: zHHqO5Q.png]
@tiwil  thanks for your suggestion.  I find Google very aggressive in flogging its ads and I think also dishonest.  At one point when I clicked the cross in an ad, Google guided me to a place where I could ask to opt out of ad bots.  I had to go through a process of ticking, and then at the end of it said that only 1 of them was successful.  92 out of 93 did not work.  So after a second attempt I gave up.  The less I have to fiddle with Chrome with extensions the better, so Mashiro's explanation regarding Adblock works for me.  I'd rather do this with Mozilla Firefox than chrome.  I haven't deleted Chrome, but I'm not using it any longer. I've unpinned it from my Task Bar.

(06-06-2021, 03:06 PM)Mashiro Wrote: @deanhills

If you don't use an ad blocker go for µBlock Origin if you need Chrome. Otherwise actually go fo Firefox with µBlock Origin.

Thanks @Mashiro  I've decided to go with Firefox and Google Search.  I will check in with Brave and DuckDuckGo from time to time, but DuckDuckGo search results for me are not as intuitive as Google's search results.  Not that Google's search results are great.  Just more intuitive for what I need. Possibly though I need to study through DuckDuckGo settings, as there may be settings that could make the searches more intuitive.

Thanks for the µBlock Origin tip.  I'll add it to Firefox for sure.
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
That is one of the reasons I stopped using Chrome for macOS, I honestly use Mozilla with AdBlock or Safari with its new native stop tracking, it depends on what I am doing. I like to use Mozilla for recreational and to check some of my web development and Safari is more of my work/production browser if that makes sense haha.
Thank you to CubeData and Posts4VPS for the services of VPS 8.
I am using Brave in my Smartphone and Edge in my PC. and using "Ad Block and Ghostery" extensions. and after then all is ok. no Ads no auto redirect page. no unwanted cookies. and easy to operate as some sites bitter rules to disable Ad blocker.
Heart LOVE FOR ALL  HATRED FOR NONE Heart
(06-07-2021, 06:49 PM)deanhills Wrote: Thanks for the µBlock Origin tip.  I'll add it to Firefox for sure.

µBlock Origin is for sure an extension to have but you should also add Adblocker Ultimate, Ghostery. These three complement each others.

Optionally you may also add:
> NoScript : it breaks all web-sites and you can white-list them individually. Only for WebDev and security Geeks.

Final point: only use extensions recommended by Firefox.
VirMach's Buffalo_VPS-9 Holder (Dec. 20 - July 21)
microLXC's Container Holder (july 20 - ?)
VirMach's Phoenix_VPS-9 Holder (Apr. 20 - June 20)
NanoKVM's NAT-VPS Holder (jan. 20 - ?)
For unknown reason (at least by me), I cannot play some YouTube video when I turn on my Adblock. I can only play it when my adblock is off and this is annoying. But somehow in other channel that I know use monetization, it works fine. Is this something to do with Chrome?
Thanks to Limitless Hosting and Post4VPS for providing me excellent VPS 13!
Some websites use ads to cover the contents as visitors focus content area, so to get an unnatural attention to advertisements. If you are seeing advertisements by google used to cover you can report the advertisements, it is against google policy.
I am not against advertising as many websites are sponsored by advertising partners. They are providing the contents because they get revenues for paying the server costs and the content authors. If they don't get anything in return then they will get upset and may stop providing the contents. This will surely affect the visitor in future. Mostly I don't use adblockers as using it in a genuine website we are just being unthankful to the website for their website. But we use their content to improve ourselves.
I am not forgetting the bad webmasters who are abusing the system, but there are genuine webmasters who are working hard to make their websites popular and useful. Their only way to earn may be from advertising.
No one will like visitors who block ads on their site. But their should be a fair advertising policy.

Thank you  Sweet

(06-12-2021, 04:36 AM)Littlemaster Wrote: Some websites use ads to cover the contents as visitors focus content area, so to get an unnatural attention to advertisements. If you are seeing advertisements by google used to cover you can report the advertisements, it is against google policy.
I am not against advertising as many websites are sponsored by advertising partners. They are providing the contents because they get revenues for paying the server costs and the content authors. If they don't get anything in return then they will get upset and may stop providing the contents. This will surely affect the visitor in future. Mostly I don't use adblockers as using it in a genuine website we are just being unthankful to the website for their website. But we use their content to improve ourselves.
I am not forgetting the bad webmasters who are abusing the system, but there are genuine webmasters who are working hard to make their websites popular and useful. Their only way to earn may be from advertising.
No one will like visitors who block ads on their site. But their should be a fair advertising policy.
That made me think of the so called non-intrudsive advertisements but years ago it is reported that the business verifying the ads was abusing the standard.

For me I do not use adblockers much.When a website displays ads that were too annoying I often report the.ad covering content to make it disappear.Footer ads,compared these annoying in-content ads,revenues almost the same in a Pay-per-Click model.If the visitor is interested in the ad or just want to help you generate some revenue they will do the favor to click the ads.But if you put these ads in an annoying manner they will probably just exit your website.

And for these who just want to make their site a little better,I suggest to show the ads on the first entry and giving the visitors the opinion to disable ads in this browsing session.
VPS 3 Provided by Post4vps and Racknerd .
Pages (3):

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post
04-29-2021, 01:28 PM
Last Post: LightDestory
04-18-2020, 01:48 PM
Last Post: fChk

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting