arrow_upward

Pages (2):
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chrome and Edge or Firefox?
(04-15-2020, 05:55 PM)deanhills Wrote: OK, now this is interesting @fChk.  If we have to give up on Windows 7 and not go for Windows 10, what is your suggestion for a Windows 7 alternative?

Sounds like you're still on Win7 :-)

I avoided to do just that in my last post because as of today, people don't have that much choices. Either submit to their own inertia and do business as usual with M$$ but this time for a much worse OS (ie Win10) or make the right decision and signup with any Linux distribution that fulfil best their needs.

Win10 is a terrible choice to make, especially for this rising generation that we have within this community... Not going to list all the problems with it, I've already hinted (elsewhere within this forum) that I've never felt in full control of that system whenever I'm logged in. Needless to say that it's not of lack of knowledge but because Win10's central command isn't where it should be, ie your keyboard/shell, but elsewhere within M$$'s servers/Cloud.

If someone doesn't have a problem to be a 'bot' within M$$'s botnet, so be it. If not, better prepare for a Linux alternative then; because that's all we got.

As you know, my favourite is Fedora; it's cutting-edge with 1 upgrade every 6 months--Fedora 32 is due this 21st April by-the-way... and I recently learned that Linus Torvald is using it too; not sure about Richard Stallman though.

Again, everyone is free to chose whatever he likes, even Win10, but he should be fully aware of the price he will be paying for that choice.

The problem with a Linux distribution for people coming from a Windows world is the Paradigm shift that they will be experiencing and that I can summarize as follow:

>The Windows philosophy: dear user, do the clicking we do the thinking.
>The Linux Philosophy: dear user, do the thinking, we got the tooling.

Sharp contrast! :-)

The learning curve steepness depends on the user's overall competence. But he should be fine after an initial harsh 6 months where he should get his act together in the new environment.

I think I said it all without answering your question :-)

@Rehan!
I think I may have found you a solution to your problem.
I re-read what you wrote in your second post. You mentioned that you did a new installation of Win7-Pro and I assume that you didn't update that system at all. If that's correct, then it's normal that those Trusted Root Certificates (TRCs) are obsolete, they date back to 2007!!..

What you should do is update that system with the latest patches and latest TRCs. I'm not sure if they still support Win7 by now, but take a look at this site:
https://download.wsusoffline.net/

...Or any other way to get those TRCs from.

Good luck!
VirMach's Buffalo_VPS-9 Holder (Dec. 20 - July 21)
microLXC's Container Holder (july 20 - ?)
VirMach's Phoenix_VPS-9 Holder (Apr. 20 - June 20)
NanoKVM's NAT-VPS Holder (jan. 20 - ?)
(04-15-2020, 07:59 PM)fChk Wrote: @Rehan!
I re-read what you wrote in your second post. You mentioned that you did a new installation of Win7-Pro and I assume that you didn't update that system at all. If that's correct, then it's normal that those Trusted Root Certificates (TRCs) are obsolete, they date back to 2007!!..

What you should do is update that system with the latest patches and latest TRCs. I'm not sure if they still support Win7 by now, but take a look at this site:

Good luck!
That is an excellent suggestion.  I've used wsusoffline before.  Two years ago though.  And that worked seamlessly.  Looks like it's created by a German and the site translated.  If @Rehan Googles post4vps he may get some discussion on this.

Regarding Fedora @fChk.  Last I knew someone trying it out, a couple or more years ago, it didn't go so well.  Like it's more for seasoned Linux users or that was my perception any way.  What configuration of Fedora are you using for desktop? Probably a tall order to ask, but if at any point of time you are inspired and have time available, would be awesome if you could provide a step by step tutorial how to set up a Linux desktop as a Windows 10 alternative.

I've just noticed though we're going off topic here.  Topic of this discussion has to be Chrome and Edge vs Firefox.

Speaking of Mozilla Firefox @fChk.  Did you notice a MAJOR new update - 69 - for Mozilla Firefox just recently specifically focused on tracking of one's internet surfing?  Is it possible to let us know your views, also what are the negatives with having such an anti-tracking system on one's browser that we need to watch out for?  I've got it enabled as per its default settings.  Mozilla Firefox prompted me for a proper re-installation of the last upgrade (I was wondering the effect of that - obviously it's to give Mozilla more access to security settings and hope those are safe to allow Mozilla to have).  I then decided to uninstall and remove the previous Mozilla Firefox version completely and reinstalled the latest version of Firefox.  This is the result of the last week's browsing on my computer:

[Image: C29bB7W.png]
Learn More
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
(04-15-2020, 07:59 PM)fChk Wrote: @Rehan!

Good luck!

Actually i have updated my windows. I don't think windows 7 automatically download updates. Because whenever i enable update and try checking for updates. It fails. As Hidden Refuge said windows 7 is no more supported by Microsoft. I manually download essential updates and install them. After that i updated the dot net framework. But still same thing happens.
On the other hand i have some questions in my mind, that how will i be able to use my pc with linux OS. How will i use my .exe programs those are limited to Windows. How will i use Microsoft Office tools, those are essential for my education work. ( i know i can do it online but not as in pc ). What about system Drivers etc.

Thanks to Post4VPS and Hostlease for their great services.  
@Rehan

You can use Wine to run Windows applications on Linux. Wine has come a long way so far. Office should work under Wine and many other applications, too. Of course it isn't the perfect Windows replacement. If you have applications that really only work on Windows... well, maybe you can setup a VM inside Linux that is running Windows to run the apps. Another alternative is a dual boot installation with Linux and Windows. You would use Windows only for the certain applications and Linux as your main OS.

Drivers are a thing you don't have to worry about with Linux. Everything will work out of the box in 99% of all cases.
[Image: zHHqO5Q.png]
(04-16-2020, 03:59 AM)deanhills Wrote: Regarding Fedora @fChk.  Last I knew someone trying it out, a couple or more years ago, it didn't go so well.  Like it's more for seasoned Linux users or that was my perception any way.  What configuration of Fedora are you using for desktop? Probably a tall order to ask, but if at any point of time you are inspired and have time available, would be awesome if you could provide a step by step tutorial how to set up a Linux desktop as a Windows 10 alternative.
I would rather wait for someone else to open a thread about that, to give my inputs on the subject. There is nothing standard about my own setup, even the system is a Fedora Server edition on which I installed the Gnome desktop environment that I've then tweaked over the years. Also, I always boot first on the shell (Init level 3; not 5) then fire up the GUI when I need it.. etc.

It's really not the standard way of doing things.

(04-16-2020, 03:59 AM)deanhills Wrote: Speaking of Mozilla Firefox @fChk.  Did you notice a MAJOR new update - 69 - for Mozilla Firefox just recently specifically focused on tracking of one's internet surfing?  Is it possible to let us know your views, also what are the negatives with having such an anti-tracking system on one's browser that we need to watch out for?
Indeed, they should have done that a long time ago -if you ask me- instead of letting that job to the extensions. This is a subject that we've discussed at length @FFS.

Tracking is the plague of the Internet in general and the Web in particular. I've always had (and still have) at least 4/5 extensions for the sole purpose of blocking it;  Firefox's own anti-tracking system is just yet another layer of protection. Someone should open a thread on this subject too.

The quick answer for the negative side of having Firefox anti-tracking ON is the possibility of breaking web-sites, depending of the way you set it up; ie standard/strict/custom. I'm using it in its strict mode by-the-way!.. This is also true, for when using CORS-blocking extensions (like Privacy badger, uBlock origin etc...)

(04-16-2020, 04:03 AM)Rehan Wrote: Actually i have updated my windows. I don't think windows 7 automatically download updates. Because whenever i enable update and try checking for updates. It fails. As Hidden Refuge said windows 7 is no more supported by Microsoft. I manually download essential updates and install them. After that i updated the dot net framework. But still same thing happens.
I'm aware that Windows update is NO MORE. I've given you a web site that gives you a shell script that takes care of that. What you need most is those TRCs.

OK! There you go. A simple Google search:
https://www.google.com/search?client=fir...+Windows+7

.. yielded this:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help...tificate-p

and this:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help...for-window

You're in luck!

(04-16-2020, 04:03 AM)Rehan Wrote: On the other hand i have some questions in my mind, that how will i be able to use my pc with linux OS. How will i use my .exe programs those are limited to Windows. How will i use Microsoft Office tools, those are essential for my education work. ( i know i can do it online but not as in pc ). What about system Drivers etc.
We can discuss this at length if you open a thread for it. I'm under the impression that you still have a lot to digest Computer-systems-wise!
(04-16-2020, 08:36 AM)fChk Wrote: I'm aware that Windows update is NO MORE. I've given you a web site that gives you a shell script that takes care of that. What you need most is those TRCs.

OK! There you go. A simple Google search:
https://www.google.com/search?client=fir...+Windows+7

.. yielded this:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help...tificate-p

and this:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help...for-window

You're in luck!
Thanks @fChk for your help. All of the websites are now working well. Chrome and Edge both are showing them secure.I have successfully installed these updates and everything is fine. On the other hand about system information. I have more information about hardware than software. Tongue We will discus more about these thing in a separate topic.
Thanks all of those who helped me. A special thanks to Hidden Refuge for such explanation about the issue.  Angel

Thanks to Post4VPS and Hostlease for their great services.  
@Rehan  @fChksked that the thread be re-opened, so following your request in a Report to close it, I've re-opened it for further discussion.

@fChk suggested we move this to the Software Forum.  I'm happy with this as I think there is still plenty that can be discussed about your topic from a software point of view.
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
(04-17-2020, 06:41 AM)Rehan Wrote: Thanks @fChk for your help. All of the websites are now working well. Chrome and Edge both are showing them secure.I have successfully installed these updates and everything is fine.
Glad it worked!.. Just keep in my mind that's a temporarily fix... and that you'll have --sooner or later-- to move on to another OS.

(04-18-2020, 11:21 AM)deanhills Wrote: @Rehan  @fChksked that the thread be re-opened, so following your request in a Report to close it, I've re-opened it for further discussion.

@fChk suggested we move this to the Software Forum.  I'm happy with this as I think there is still plenty that can be discussed about your topic from a software point of view.

Many thanks @deanhills!.. Although I only wanted the thread to be moved to the Software Forum to avoid it being quickly buried under other irrelevant topics--given that the General forum is a catch-all section. So, sorry for the misunderstanding.

The thread, as far as I can see, has all the relevant information for anyone who will be facing the same issue. So unless someone else has anything to add to the discussion, I'm OK for it being locked. Although I don't see any urgency in doing that. But it's a pattern that I've noticed only here @P4V!!..
Pages (2):

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post
04-29-2021, 01:28 PM
Last Post: LightDestory

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting