arrow_upward

Pages (20): Jump to page 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Corona Virus ? where did this come from ?
@deanhills

At this stage, we're all susceptible to get infected at some point. The idea of instituting lock-downs nation-wide is to keep the infection rate as low as possible to not overwhelm a given nation's health services infrastructure; hence the new buzz-word of "flattening the curve (of infection)" by spreading it over a longer time period.

And glad to hear SA is taking things seriously. Over here, a nation-wide lock-down started yesterday 18.00 GMT +1.

-------------------------

Ok!.. just to keep things in perspective, I'll update the listing of the 3 highly pathogenic Human CoronaViruses (HCoVs) that I've already posted in my first contribution in this thread:
  • SARS-CoV (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome CoronaVirus) -a beta-HCoV that was responsible of the 2002 atypical pneumonia first described in Guangdong Province (China.) Genomic sequencing of the SARS-CoV helped in shaping a consensus postulating that bats were the natural hosts.
    SARS-CoV infected 8098 individuals; 774 died.
  • MERS-CoV (Middle East Respiratory Syndrome CoronaVirus) -a 2012 HCoV that has caused a total of 2494 cases and 858 deaths, the majority in Saudi Arabia.
  • SARS-CoV-2 (also referred to as HCoV-19), which is the causative virus of the current pneumonia pandemic (COVID-19) that originated from Wuhan, Hubei province, China. As of 11 March 2020, 121,564 cases have been confirmed in more than 110 countries, with 4,373 deaths [1].

... And by the way, there is an interactive map developed by the authors of the reference cited below that tracks COVID-19 cases worldwide in real-time. You can find it here:
https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard...7b48e9ecf6
The details can be found in the paper bellow.

If we look at the data on the real-time interactive map, we have as of today (March 21 2020): 275,469 confirmed cases; 11,402 deaths and  88,261 recovered cases.

SA has 202 confirmed cases: 0 death; 0 recovery. For us here, we have 86 confirmed cases: 3 deaths and 1 recovery.

Please, see the map, for more.

Updated, to record the interactive map data.

--------------------
[1]- Dong, E., Du, H. & Gardner, L. Lancet Infect. Dis. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1473-3099(20)30120-1 (2020):
"An interactive web-based dashboard to track COVID-19 in real time"
VirMach's Buffalo_VPS-9 Holder (Dec. 20 - July 21)
microLXC's Container Holder (july 20 - ?)
VirMach's Phoenix_VPS-9 Holder (Apr. 20 - June 20)
NanoKVM's NAT-VPS Holder (jan. 20 - ?)
(03-21-2020, 09:50 AM)fChk Wrote: @deanhills

At this stage, we're all susceptible to get infected at some point. The idea of instituting lock-downs nation-wide is to keep the infection rate as low as possible to not overwhelm a given nation's health services infrastructure; hence the new buzz-word of "flattening the curve (of infection)" by spreading it over a longer time period.

And glad to hear SA is taking things seriously. Over here, a nation-wide lock-down started yesterday 18.00 GMT +1.

-------------------------

Ok!.. just to keep things in perspective, I'll update the listing of the 3 highly pathogenic Human CoronaViruses (HCoVs) that I've already posted in my first contribution in this thread:
  • SARS-CoV (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome CoronaVirus) -a beta-HCoV that was responsible of the 2002 atypical pneumonia first described in Guangdong Province (China.) Genomic sequencing of the SARS-CoV helped in shaping a consensus postulating that bats were the natural hosts.
    SARS-CoV infected 8098 individuals; 774 died.
  • MERS-CoV (Middle East Respiratory Syndrome CoronaVirus) -a 2012 HCoV that has caused a total of 2494 cases and 858 deaths, the majority in Saudi Arabia.
  • SARS-CoV-2 (also referred to as HCoV-19), which is the causative virus of the current pneumonia pandemic (COVID-19) that originated from Wuhan, Hubei province, China. As of 11 March 2020, 121,564 cases have been confirmed in more than 110 countries, with 4,373 deaths [1].

... And by the way, there is an interactive map developed by the authors of the reference cited below that tracks COVID-19 cases worldwide in real-time. You can find it here:
https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard...7b48e9ecf6
The details can be found in the paper bellow.

If we look at the data on the real-time interactive map, we have as of today (March 21 2020): 275,469 confirmed cases; 11,402 deaths and  88,261 recovered cases.

SA has 202 confirmed cases: 0 death; 0 recovery. For us here, we have 86 confirmed cases: 3 deaths and 1 recovery.

Please, see the map, for more.

Updated, to record the interactive map data.

--------------------
[1]- Dong, E., Du, H. & Gardner, L. Lancet Infect. Dis. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1473-3099(20)30120-1 (2020):
"An interactive web-based dashboard to track COVID-19 in real time"

and with the lockdown it is still growing . many people still get infected despite the lockdown
imagine if the lockdown didnt exist . probably 90% the world already get infected

lockdown is a great strategy to prevent the virus to spread . because the spread it self is basically decreased with the lockdown

hopefully the virus die soon or the vaccine exist soon
Terminal
humanpuff69@FPAX:~$ Thanks To Shadow Hosting And Post4VPS for VPS 5
(03-21-2020, 12:53 PM)humanpuff69 Wrote: and with the lockdown it is still growing . many people still get infected despite the lockdown
imagine if the lockdown didnt exist . probably 90% the world already get infected

lockdown is a great strategy to prevent the virus to spread . because the spread it self is basically decreased with the lockdown

hopefully the virus die soon or the vaccine exist soon

Viruses don't die!... they are not even considered as 'living beings'! technically speaking.. Yep!.. that's right.

Viruses are just tiny bits of DNA OR RNA packed in a proteic Capside. This is why they need living cells (of whatever host they can infect) to spread/propagate....

The only way out is immunization, and that takes time to develop after first contact, and yes many die in that process; this is what we refer to in BioSciences as the 'Natural Selection' acting on populations(/doing its thing in the wild.)

Vaccines are Man's ingenuity at speeding up that process(/acquired immunity) without being in prior contact with the fully functional virus, thus saving lives.

Two ways a virus can be neutralized:
  • when the host is fully immunized; that makes the virus an easy target for human's anti-viral defences (which is a specialized case of human cellular immunity, with lymphocyte T4/T8 at its heart.)
  • when the virus loses that critical key that allows it to infect that particular kind of cells in that particular kind of hosts; the same key that since it has acquired it (following a mutation event) put it into our spotlight as a life-threatening agent.

This drama is really just the ages-long process of 'Life' in action, but this time under the Megaphones of a 'globalized World Order'. I know this expression is cliché, but describes best the situation as I witness it.

Anyway, I thought a bit of trivial biology bullet-points won't hurt anyone here :-)
(03-21-2020, 05:00 PM)fChk Wrote: Viruses don't die!... they are not even considered as 'living beings'! technically speaking.. Yep!.. that's right.

Viruses are just tiny bits of DNA OR RNA packed in a proteic Capside. This is why they need living cells (of whatever host they can infect) to spread/propagate....

The only way out is immunization, and that takes time to develop after first contact, and yes many die in that process; this is what we refer to in BioSciences as the 'Natural Selection' acting on populations(/doing its thing in the wild.)

Vaccines are Man's ingenuity at speeding up that process(/acquired immunity) without being in prior contact with the fully functional virus, thus saving lives.

Two ways a virus can be neutralized:
  • when the host is fully immunized; that makes the virus an easy target for human's anti-viral defences (which is a specialized case of human cellular immunity, with lymphocyte T4/T8 at its heart.)
  • when the virus loses that critical key that allows it to infect that particular kind of cells in that particular kind of hosts; the same key that since it has acquired it (following a mutation event) put it into our spotlight as a life-threatening agent.

This drama is really just the ages-long process of 'Life' in action, but this time under the Megaphones of a 'globalized World Order'. I know this expression is cliché, but describes best the situation as I witness it.

Anyway, I thought a bit of trivial biology bullet-points won't hurt anyone here :-)

thanks for the correction . i really appreciate it . also your explanation is great
so i change it now to hopefully more people get immunized to the virus so the effect can be much lowered
Terminal
(03-22-2020, 08:09 AM)humanpuff69 Wrote: thanks for the correction . i really appreciate it . also your explanation is great
so i change it now to hopefully more people get immunized to the virus so the effect can be much lowered

You're welcome :-)

----------------------------------
Ok!... Now,

> For those wondering how it feels to do the COVID-19 test, check this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWpq5zliENc

> For those who still are puzzled about the COVID-19 symptoms evolution, check this one; please do -it's that important for your own sake:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOJqHPfG7pA

> For those who still think that SARS-CoV-2 is a biol-weapon leaked from some dark underground top-secret facility, please, please read this research article from the peer-reviewed 'Nature Medicine' journal released as recently as 17 March 2020, entitled:
The proximal origin of SARS-CoV-2
Quote:SARS-CoV-2 is the seventh coronavirus known to infect humans; SARS-CoV, MERS-CoV and SARS-CoV-2 can cause severe disease, whereas HKU1, NL63, OC43 and 229E are associated with mild symptoms6. Here we review what can be deduced about the origin of SARS-CoV-2 from comparative analysis of genomic data. We offer a perspective on the notable features of the SARS-CoV-2 genome and discuss scenarios by which they could have arisen. Our analyses clearly show that SARS-CoV-2 is not a laboratory construct or a purposefully manipulated virus.

.. and on this note, I'm done with this thread.

Again, stay safe!
(03-22-2020, 12:51 PM)fChk Wrote: > For those wondering how it feels to do the COVID-19 test, check this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWpq5zliENc

Haha @fChk. Wow!  Doesn't sound like a good experience at all when you see the video like that.  Especially when they stick though Q Tips up your nose.

What would be awesome if they could sell those test kits and one can do the test oneself instead.  They could then drop the test kit off at one's home address or one could pick it up/buy it somewhere.  Guess that's a bit idealistic though.  Tongue

Today, our Sunday Paper was full of Corona Virus articles and reports, and also an interview with someone who has been through the experience. One of the things he said completely grabbed me as being true. One should not fear the virus as much as fear the spreading of it - which is where the focus should be. It's the spreading of it that is more of an issue than getting it. He was one of the very first cases, and had to wait in a doctor's waiting room to be tested for Corona, even when he had told reception he had symptoms. We've come a long way from that time. Now suspected cases are strongly discouraged from going to any medical center. They have to phone their doctor, or a national Corona phone number instead.
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
As far as i know about the virus is follow, Note i could be wrong correct me if i'm wrong. Nobody knows everything about this virus even scientist themselves but obviously better than us.

So the virus called SARS-CoV-2 because it similar to virus "SARS" from 2003 and the disease of this virus called COVID-19. So far not vaccine has been made yet however many private company claim that they've made vaccine and tried on human and it killed the virus without harming human being. But however we haven't hear anything from WHO (World Health Organization) about the vaccine AFAIK. Death rate of COVID-19 is 4% and it's totally depend on country by country. Italy's death rates now 8%+ but on Germany it even less than 0.3% however many scientist still says it's not higher than 2%.

Symptoms of COVID-19
Fever: 87.9% cases
Dry cough: 67.7% cases
Fatigue: 38.1% cases
Sputum production: 33.4% cases
Shortness of breath: 18.6% cases
Myalgia and arthralgia: 14.8%
Sore throat: 13.9% cases
Headache: 13.6% cases
Chills: 11.4% cases

The most important symptoms are Fever, Dry cough and Shortness of breath. Also in 5% cases it were runny nose.
80% mild symptoms like flu and they should've stayed at home, 13.8% Severe, They've to hospitalized and 4.7% Critical, Intensive care.

Like we all know virus no longer last more than 14 days so sometime you might have it's symptoms but the COVID-19 not active you might don't even know you are affected and you spreading it to your family, friends and everyone you meet. so stay at and isolate yourself. On average a person can affect other 2-4 person and you might be affected but you didn't see any symptom on your body but it's normally showed after 5-7 days.

How long Virus could survive?
It could survive in air for upto 3 hours.
It could survive in cardboard for a day.
And Plastic and Stainless Steel it could survive upto 3 days.

You always have to social distance from other person for at least 6-7 feet. You might be thinking "I'm a young with a strong immune system, I could go out. It can't do anything wrong with body" You might be right you could survive but think about your family, friend and every person you meet. When you are affected you'll spread it and that's the worst part of this virus it's spreading really fast and the only way to stop it's depend each and everyone of us. We might survive even with virus but maybe someone could've died because of us.

Vaccine at least need 1-2 years, However some private company claiming, like i said.

Anyways, Stay at home. Stay safe. You helping the world fight against this enemy by just saying home!

About my country we've taken a very good action on time but we still have 650+ cases. We saw how Italy take coronavirus as a joke.
Fun fact: Pakistan have world largest coronavirus pandemic hospital with 2000 beds, It might be beaten by other country. Our province (Sindh) provincial government has taken very good steps.

Even: Whoever have less then 4,000 PKR Bills ($25 aprox) they don't have to pay it and 5,000+ bills ($32 aprox) will be collect in next 10 months as installment. And mine electric bill is 1800PKR ($11 aprox) anyway i could write a entire post about COVID-19 in Pakistan.

PS: From last 3 days i have headache and cold with runny nose, PLUS i had shortness of breath for while. These days even common flu seems like COVID-19 Tongue It could be COVID-19 (Hope it's not)
Terminal
Best Regards,
Global Moderator of Post4VPS 

I think one of those reason why it spread faster in Italy, South Korea and Japan is because these countries high number of senior citizens. But Japan and South Korean were able to put it under control because people in those countries are quite disciplined than Most of other countries. My friends in Italy says most people there didn't care about this still it got really worse and government has forced lockdowns. I heard its same in France too. Their Govenment refused to close schools and do lockdowns in worst areas till last moment. In Paris Anti Government protests happening has usual (My French friends tell me those protests are part of life in Paris).

Germany has high number of infected cases but the death toll is low, Less than 100 so far. Sametime Spain has 28k infected and 1.7 deaths so far.

~ Be yourself everybody else is taken ~

(03-23-2020, 05:41 AM)xdude Wrote: I think one of those reason why it spread faster in Italy, South Korea and Japan is because these countries high number of senior citizens. But Japan and South Korean were able to put it under control because people in those countries are quite disciplined than Most of other countries. My friends in Italy says most people there didn't care about this still it got really worse and government has forced lockdowns. I heard its same in France too. Their Govenment refused to close schools and do lockdowns in worst areas till last moment. In Paris Anti Government protests happening has usual (My French friends tell me those protests are part of life in Paris).

Germany has high number of infected cases but the death toll is low, Less than 100 so far. Sametime Spain has 28k infected and 1.7 deaths so far.

You are right for Italy, but you didn't mention a very important factor: italian's culture is very rooted on physical touch. To welcome, to speak, to express something we often use physical touch, on others countries this is missing.
We started closing schools on the firsts of March and it has been decided to close them until 3April for now, but it is very probably that it will be extended until June. We are trying our best fighting this virus, our medical staff is literally working 24/24 no stop but unfortunately there are still STUPID persons that still go out from home to do jogging, influcers that are trying to catch view doing anti-quarantine stuff ect..
Unfortunately my country got a very high number of people over 60, so the virus found a very good place to stay.

A lot of companies are helping my country offering services (Offered service list) and I am very happy because it is like we are not fighting alone Smile

If we want to speak about a country that doesn't act serious regarding the virus is USA, Donald Trump is just too busy acting like a clown.
Thanks to Post4VPS and Bladenodefor VPS 14
(03-23-2020, 03:29 PM)LightDestory Wrote: You are right for Italy, but you didn't mention a very important factor: italian's culture is very rooted on physical touch. To welcome, to speak, to express something we often use physical touch, on others countries this is missing.
We started closing schools on the firsts of March and it has been decided to close them until 3April for now, but it is very probably that it will be extended until June. We are trying our best fighting this virus, our medical staff is literally working 24/24 no stop but unfortunately there are still STUPID persons that still go out from home to do jogging, influcers that are trying to catch view doing anti-quarantine stuff ect..
Unfortunately my country got a very high number of people over 60, so the virus found a very good place to stay.

A lot of companies are helping my country offering services (Offered service list) and I am very happy because it is like we are not fighting alone Smile

If we want to speak about a country that doesn't act serious regarding the virus is USA, Donald Trump is just too busy acting like a clown.

Not only usa . Indonesia also didnt act seriously . They dont want a lock down because of the economy reason but the fact that without the proper lockdown the economy already ruined . Indonesia currency rupiah dropped in value significantly due to stupid goverment 

Instead of giving food to people . The president instead give people that lease thing a 1 year leasing extension
Terminal
Pages (20): Jump to page 

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting