arrow_upward

Pages (2):
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Google Downtimes
Apparently google experienced some downtime today in North America, from which they're just starting to recover from. This is after a massive outtage yesterday affecting gmail and youtube and other google services. As a reminder, if you have any systems integrated with google products, you may want to check and see if anything is missing or misplaced. If you use google for DNS, you may want to think carefully.

I first noticed the outtage when testing my vps for transactional emails. I thought the problem was on my end, but checking the logs revealed otherwise.

Some people (myself included) have been unable to send/receive emails.  If you rely on gmail for communication, you may want to seek out an alternative; likewise if you are expecting communication and have not received it, this may be an explanation. If you use google smtp for relaying emails, you may have some that  never sent.
Thanks for the heads up @fitkoh I must have been sleeping during all of this. Being in the Southern Hemisphere. I'd been putting in a few all nighters recently with getting carried away and having great fun with new hosting and last night after a day of getting exercise just about passed out and slept for a huge number of hours. Before I retired last night, hosting had been even better than usual. So I guess it must have happened afterwards.

Since we're so connected and dependent on one huge corporation like that to the extent it can even tell us what to do or not to do and boycott those it feels like boycotting, I guess every one must be feeling outages. Hope they are sorted out soon.
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
We are also facing Youtube downtime here in Asia continent. an immediate panic acure because few years ago youtube banns in my country. so apparently News spread that it happens again. many people reinstall app in phones and refresh PC windows for this issue.
Heart LOVE FOR ALL  HATRED FOR NONE Heart
(12-16-2020, 05:17 AM)sagher Wrote: We are also facing Youtube downtime here in Asia continent. an immediate panic acure  because few years ago youtube banns in my country. so apparently News spread that it happens again. many people reinstall app in phones and refresh PC windows for this issue.
My YouTube is working perfectly. So you could test here - maybe it's working again now?

Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
Youtube is working for me but I still can't send or receive emails.

What's especially frustrating is that the emails are showing as sent. It would be much more responsible in my opinion if we could at least have an error message. A lot of people rely on gmail. It seems dishonest to tell clients their emails are sent, when in fact they are not.  This can create a whole host of personal and professional problems for people. Google calendars was down: a lot of employers use google calendars for scheduling. How will their employees know when to work?

From my understanding of the way email works the emails that can't be delivered should be held until later when they are deliverable; but I can't say that for sure. It's just a wait and see for now.

Google's been a tech giant for decades. Frankly, while this is somewhat inconvenient, it isn't entirely unexpected. Google plays with an amount of data far beyond my reckoning, and it's only a matter of time I think before they dropped the ball. I just feel like they could be handling this better. Make sure that users are aware there's a problem. Everyone makes mistakes. I understand that things happen, but at least they can make a popup show when I log into gmail so people aren't sending emails in vain or checking for what isn't going to arrive. Or take it completely offline until it's working as intended.
(12-16-2020, 05:56 AM)deanhills Wrote: My YouTube is working perfectly.  So you could test here - maybe it's working again now?

@deanhills .. yes works with lot of miss behave, sometimes ask for login to view videos even simple videos, unable to access to my channel. then i flush all cache and browse data and got some improvement but bugs in smartphone. let me check one more day because here we are so far from 5G world, still using 3Mbps and max connection here is 25Mbps which mostly out of range for home single use.
Heart LOVE FOR ALL  HATRED FOR NONE Heart
Yeah, apparently from what I know the issue was with Google Account Services and since all of google services are linked with accounts, everything was down. Even here in Pakistan Google faced downtimes, I use DNS from cloud flare so not sure if google DNS went down too..

A friend tried opening YouTube through incognito and It was working so definitely was something related to accounts.
Thanks to ShadowHosting and Post4VPS for my VPS 5!
(12-16-2020, 06:17 AM)fitkoh Wrote: Youtube is working for me but I still can't send or receive emails.

Gmail SMTP and IMAP servers do work for me (just tested them.) Their IPs both resolve to Mountain View, CA.

I don't use their Webmail interface but rather use it via Thunderbird mail desktop client.

Honestly, I don't use Gmail account any longer, but I still have few legacy contacts through them.

The last break up I had with them was with their search engine, leaving Youtube the only Google service that I'm still using...
VirMach's Buffalo_VPS-9 Holder (Dec. 20 - July 21)
microLXC's Container Holder (july 20 - ?)
VirMach's Phoenix_VPS-9 Holder (Apr. 20 - June 20)
NanoKVM's NAT-VPS Holder (jan. 20 - ?)
Things seems to be up in Asia and everything seems to be working fine now except for DNS actually, I have been having issues with Google DNS lately and my ISP provided uses Google DNS overall for his internet i had to use CloudFlare DNS so i could surf websites otherwise was having a DNS error. Someone actually spread the false news that Youtube has been banned "AGAIN" in pakistan.
Thanks to ReadyDedis and Post4VPS for the amazing VPS 7!

Yeah I am glad that I moved my VPS name servers over to OpenDNS with the intention to move them over to cloud flair at the next update cycle. I noticed some issues yesterday stateside, but it was weird issues with Gmail not wanting to sync my calendar with Apple Calendar and then Maps were a bit wonky for a few hours.
Thank you to CubeData and Posts4VPS for the services of VPS 8.
Pages (2):

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting