arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HostDoc leaking customers data
#1: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/16...ak-hostdoc
#2: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/16...ng-hostdoc

Read actual messages by actual customers of HostDoc on LET.

Just for your information. I posted this on the shoutbox, too.
[Image: zHHqO5Q.png]
Yep. Read it last night. I'll take down my Tawk.to module until further notice.
Premium Web Hosting | ShadowCrypt | Manal Shaikh Official Website
If you find my post/thread useful, you're supposed to +rep me. 
Well at least it looks as though they're doing their level best to sort this out and we know that Hostdoc owner is very vigilant.  Possibly this could happen to the best of any host but at least they've come out honest and upfront and given a very good explanation of what action they're taking to contain the problem. I've always been impressed with their effort to make their server secure but looks as though it boomeranged on them.  It's pretty ironic since this possibly proves that even when you make the ID submission a requirement, that it isn't necessarily going to make things that much more secure. Also that asking for that information also puts an enormous burden of vigilance on their side to keep the info safe, and to delete the info when it is no longer used - i.e. the client is no longer a client.

But yes, @Manal's course of action is obviously very wise in the circumstances.
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
Agreed, was going through some of the articles regarding this and I must say that HostDoc is quite actively working to sort out this issue, as is evident from these posts.

I must also say that security isn't guaranteed alone by taking in more personal information, but that's only a part of their effort on their end - as Dean rightly highlighted the ID submission in this case.

Moreover, @Manal's action in this case is justified, in consideration of the present circumstances.

Regards,
Sayan Bhattacharyya,

Heartiest thanks to Post4VPS and Virmach for my wonderful VPS 9!
Well, I have read the overall topic on LET and HostDoc wasn't the top. It has been clearly discovered that they didn't warn the proper autority regarding their data leak (laws set a 72h of time after the discovery) and the delayed action to prevent further leaks.
A lot of data has been leaked, data that is very important. A fraud can be likely set up with only that data.
I presume a lot of customers left their service due to this incident.

I don't blame Tawko module or HostDoc... but I think that this delicate matter could be handled better. A lot of people/consumer complained on the linked threads and LET had to de-list the provider.

So I hope that HostDoc can easily recover from this incident.
Thanks to Post4VPS and Bladenodefor VPS 14
HostDoc is going out of business after what has happened recently.

Look at https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/16...osing-down (thanks to @youssefbasha and @sohamb03 for bringing this to our attention in the shoutbox).

All of this is very sad actually. What makes me wonder is:
Quote:As much as I enjoy providing a hosting service basically for free (there has never been a profit margin which was not reinvested into new hardware), and as much as I can fend away many if not most of the trolls or those that try and bring the brand or reputation down, it is a much harder feat when it is someone that was once trusted.

Is there some bad actor that was/used to be a very trusted person to the owner of HostDoc and who is now actually responsible for all of this?

@deanhills this is important for all HostDoc VPS holders from Post4VPS.
[Image: zHHqO5Q.png]
(02-02-2020, 04:01 PM)Hidden Refuge Wrote: Is there some bad actor that was/used to be a very trusted person to the owner of HostDoc and who is now actually responsible for all of this?

I've read the email too and seems like there is someone who had a hand with the whole scenario specially related to all the negative comments HostDoc received in the short amount of time, just a thought keep coming to my mind literally like every time i thinks about privacy. Was there email that leaked(or so they proclaimed)was really secured all the time like there was no other provider who used the same service(tawk.to) just thinking how can be it become such big mess just because of a plugin he failed to find out have access to user info.
[Image: a3ad5cfbf5.png]
[Image: trk1]
hostdoc closing doors

Quote:It is with great regret that I write this email.
HostDoc will be closing its doors today and will no longer accept orders for any service moving forward.
All payment gateways are now inactive. All clients will be refunded pro-rata and a few refunds have already began being issued. If your refund has not yet been recieved, please open a ticket and be patient, all valid requests will be refunded.
If you have a paypal subscription set up, please cancel it now.
As much as I enjoy providing a hosting service basically for free (there has never been a profit margin which was not reinvested into new hardware), and as much as I can fend away many if not most of the trolls or those that try and bring the brand or reputation down, it is a much harder feat when it is someone that was once trusted.
As such, this is a notice that backs ups should immediately be taken and alternative hosting solutions be sought as a replacement for the services you currently have with us.
Services will not go down immediately, however, acting immediately would see you prepared for when our services do eventually go down which can be up to 30 days from today.
Our cpanel shared hosting may stay available for the next 6 months. If this is the case, no further fee will be charged to current users however, you are urged to use this time to prepare backups and migrate away from HostDoc.
I am sorry to those I will be letting down with this decision.
I am sorry I could not be the host I envisioned being.
Thank you for choosing HostDoc and allowing us to serve you as best as we could.
Kind regards
HostDoc.
From all those threads going on about this at LET, looks like people has report this for months but it was not fixed. Some were told nobody else reported the problem so it's something wrong in clients end. It's just strange owner shutting it down just because of this. Maybe this is just one reason and maybe it was getting really hard to running the business. We have seen this happens to so many small providers. But at least he is refunding everyone and given time to take backups. I have never used the HostDoc servers here but from what I have seen those VPS must be quite good.

It's ironic they ask for the toughest requarments among our sponsors and then ending up leaking client info, even if not intentionally. This just shows that risk goes both ways. It's really a pitty, I mean he seems to have a faithful client base and not many have been jumped ship this because of the problem. He could have salvage the whole thing and restart.

Anyway I really wish the Sponser best of luck for his future projucts. We are really thankful for generaously offering those servers for long time.

~ Be yourself everybody else is taken ~

As previously mentioned by @"Hidden Refuge", @TrK & @perryoo11 HostDoc closed its business.  Please refer the announcement:
https://post4vps.com/Thread-End-of-Hostd...7#pid33497

Topic has been thoroughly discussed, so am closing the thread to prevent spam posts.

- closed -
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
lockThread Closed 

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting