arrow_upward

Pages (2):
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Member Cell Phone Brand and Specs
I'm curious about what brand phones our members are using as well as what their dream phone would be.  If you are interested to participate in this discussion can you please answer the following questions:

1. Brand and model of your primary cell phone that you use every day. And Android/iOS Version - if available.
2. Brand and model of a secondary cell phone if you are using more than one cell phone.  And Android/iOS version if available.
3. Brand and model of your dream phone and preferred Android/iOS

How do you like your primary cell phone?  Is it a phone you would want to recommend to others, or a phone that you have only because you can afford to have it or can't afford to have what you really want?

1. My primary cell phone is Sony Xperia X (2016).  It has 3 GB RAM and 16 GB storage space.  When I purchased it one of my requirements was a nice screen and camera, which is why I was interested in Sony.  I've owned many Sony products before, and it has superior screen and camera technology.  I've been actively using my Sony Xperia X since 2018.  I love this phone.  It's not too big, not too small.  It handles well.  Easy to charge, and it charges reasonably fast.  I charge it approx every second/third day depending on whether I've been using Google searches.

[Image: sony-xperia-xa.jpg]

I use my primary cell phone mostly as a phone and doing some minor searches.  I also use WhatsApp as the goto media where I live.  I'm worried however as I'm still on an older version of Android - 6.  Initially in 2018 when I wanted to upgrade the Android version, it turned out too difficult to do - which is the only fault I find with the phone - not so easy to upgrade.  I probably could do it via my desktop with the Xperia assistant, but then I'm worried the system may slow down with a higher version of Android - why fiddle with a system that is working well?  Because of this limitation I'm very careful with how I use the phone.  I ignore phone numbers that I don't know what their source is, as well as text messages. I also don't have e-mails active preferring to work with desktop only.  

2. My secondary cell phone is a second hand Samsung Galaxy S7.  It's not for me in the same class as my Xperia (although it wins in most of the categories of specs), but still a great phone.  4GB RAM and 32 GB storage.  Android 6.

I use this phone for travel only.  Battery charges faster than Sony Xperia.  Camera is great.  But for me my Xperia just has a tad better overall experience.  

I guess most people who have phones from 2016 would have upgraded to a new phone a while ago.  I'm not thinking of upgrading my Xperia yet.  Battery feels as strong as when I first started to use the phone.  Ditto Samsung Galaxy S7.

[Image: samsung-galaxy-s7--.jpg]

I also still have three Nokia 1100 dinosaurs.  I decided to take them out of my box a few days ago and charge them just to see whether they're still working.  Batteries are still as good as when they were purchased almost 8 years ago.  I got a temp SIM to test and battery lasts as long as before.  These phones just last forever!  I'm presently testing my Nokia 1100 with a local SIM.  Quite a novel phone "lite" experience.  

[Image: no1100.gif]

3. I'm still old-fashioned with preferring my desktop computer for computer needs.  For a dream phone where money would not be an object, it would probably be a new Sony Xperia with brilliant screen, camera and up to date specs.  Latest Android.  Even though I really like Android 6 and 7, particularly through use of my Samsung Galaxy Tablet. One thing that irks me with all software is the more up to date the version, the bulkier and complicated it becomes.  For that reason it would be nice to have an Android Lite version in my dream phone with less Google presence.

[Image: sony-xperia-1-iii.jpg]
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
Interesting, I see you are an avid Android user. I never used Sony phones but I did used to own their PlayStation 4 and its used to be really good (although sold it long ago). I assume so that Xperia phones have same build quality but comparing phones to consoles might be a bit weird comparison and unfair as they are completely two different things. Anyways, this is my current phone, iPhone XS Max as many would have guessed Winking Tongue Its a 512GB (which I have not been able to fill) and I still been using it for 3 years now (although replaced recently after 2 years of use). Its pretty good as I have not upgraded to a newer version. The only thing I miss is the 5G functionality. My carrier (Mint Mobile) offers it for free but I cannot really take advantage and I have no 5G functionality on my phone. I do not still plan to upgrade anytime soon. If Apple comes out with better phone that have justified prices I may upgrade (with upgrade functionality). For now I do not have any secondary phone nor work phone as I do not need any use for it. The specs and the picture is shown below:

[Image: mx1SFEM.png]
No one knows what the future holds, that's why its potential is infinite
For me,my primary phone is Honor X10 5G(Android 10).I got it from last summer vacation and the phone have a pop up front camera,as I want a complete screen and do not like having a hole on the left of screen as camera,and yes,if an app wamt to use the camera you always know when they are.However as they stopped allowing customers to unlock the phones in 2018,it is harder to uninstall the built-in apps,which are pushing ad notifications even before having users accept their EULA. That's pretty annoying.

Secondary phone is XiaoMI 8(Flashed into LinageOS).Though a somehow old phone,still able to handle many current applications and yes,I can flash it and there are many resources--someone even flashed Win10 arm into that phone.One con is they don't have infrared control and seems it is the ONLY model that don't have this feature at that time and probably to now.

My dream phone is probably another XiaoMI phone.Though I wanted to try IOS but you can't customize it and you need time to get customed to it.And yes,with IR control and NFC!
VPS 3 Provided by Post4vps and Racknerd .
1. I am using VIVO Y83 Pro which comes with Android 8.1.
Processor 2GHz octa-core
Processor make MediaTek Helio P22 (MT6762)
RAM 4GB
Internal storage 64GB
Rear camera 13-megapixel (f/2.2) + 2-megapixel (f/2.4)
Front camera 8-megapixel (f/2.2)
I bought this phone around 2018 December, then I paid 16000 INR for it. My expectation was to get a device which I can use for long without complaints. Changing phones every year isn't a passion for me. I use things till the end. This device actually done things well. As I am not a gamer, I can see not much issues with this phone, but this isn't enough for a gamer. A gamer should look for better specs. Good for an average user.
2. I use Micromax A24 Bolt which is my first android in hand, it is quite old and Android 2.3. This is a bad device, battery may get damaged, low ram issue, you may can't use external memory well, very small resolution. Slow booting, software issues and lot of bugs.But I managed to live with it for almost two years.
3. Now I am happy with my phone, but it seems 64 GB isn't enough for my use, may be need to upgrade it, but not sooner.

Thank you  Sweet

I have 4 smarts phone, A Sony Xperia, Samsung S3, Samsung S4, and a Redmi 9. My current phone is the last one. Rest have battery problems and don't use those much unless for some special work tasks. I remember my Xperia was expensive but It was a quality phone which has a camera and sounds match iPhones quality-wise.

My S3 and S4 were great in their times, those should be since those are Samsung Flagship phones. But those phones are battery hogs. But I heard these battery problems got better with later versions like S6. Camera and sounds are good but that something expect from flagship models. These models are quite delicate. I used the S4 about 4 years I think still it's battery has started giving trouble. I still use it but battery doesn't even last one hour if I watch any videos or use sounds. It simple restarts. Also freeze a lot.

So my current phone is an Xiaomi Redmi 9. 5 years ago I wouldn't even dream to have a Chiese model but things have changed a lot. Brands like Xiaomi and Huawe have focused on quality rather than quntity. I was going for a Huawei but new models lacking Google Play Store is a big issue for me. This is when I started  research about Xiaomi models.  I was supprised to see how long these guys have come from those cheap models. After checking price vs preformace I decided to Redmi 9 was the best option at that time in the market. Now After a year I haven't regret that decision. It's a good soild phone. Nothing fansy but It has lived up to my expectations.

Quote:https://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_9-10233.php

Mine is 4GB/64GB model which I got for about 170 USD in last August.

~ Be yourself everybody else is taken ~

I just went from 2 smartphones and consolidated down to one. I had my iPhone 11 Pro Max (it is now archived and in my storage safe) and now I am running an iPhone 12 Pro dual-sim on Verizon's 5G mmWave network. My specs are as follows:

iPhone 12 Pro (Graphite)
Storage: 128gb w/ 100gb iCloud Storage
Battery: 2815 mAh (I get about 12-18 hours of use on a single charge)
Display: 6.1" (diag) OLED Display @ 60 Hz (Honestly, the display is almost identical to my 11 Pro Max, yet scrolling is way smoother and more responsive)
Processor / RAM: A14 Bionic (5 nm 64-bit architecture) with 6 GB of RAM
Thank you to CubeData and Posts4VPS for the services of VPS 8.
I am using a Samsung s5.
It is an old 3g mobile phone and has all features I need. Wifi camera and a screen. I also have Jio Phone for any voice calls.
Samsung s5 specifications here https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s5-6033.php
I am thinking to buy a new phone in a couple of days. My s5 battery is lasting about 3hours for now, showing it's age.
Thank you to post4vps and HostDare for my awesome VPS 12!
Check My first ever opensource project Alpana Blood Donation Drive .
I have a Samsung Galaxy S10 (DUOS). DUOS simply stands for dual SIM. I have the European model with the Exynos 9820 CPU (I'd rather have the Snapdragon version), 8 GB of RAM and 128 GB of storage (I also added a 64 GB µSD). Running stock Samsung Android 11 with the latest available patches from Samsung and Google patch level.

Specs: https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s10-9536.php

The battery is probably too small for such a phone with the features that it has. On my usage it lasts about two days though. Not really surprised by the camera. Probably the software though? Pictures are way to noisy and etc.

The screen is a bit annoying. Sometimes randomly doing different stuff because you have your fingers/hand on the corners.

Way to much Samsung bloatware installed that I cannot remove.

I have it since Q4 of 2019.

After the two years so. Experience is so so. I don't like the UI of Samsung and the apps.
[Image: zHHqO5Q.png]
(06-20-2021, 03:37 PM)Kururin Wrote: The only thing I miss is the 5G functionality.
Thanks for your contribution @Kururin.  I'm curious.  What difference would 5G functionality make for you?

(06-21-2021, 04:31 AM)Littlemaster Wrote: Changing phones every year isn't a passion for me. I use things till the end. This device actually done things well.
I'm the same with this @Littlemaster.  Also brand owners who want to either build in an obsolescence factor or add bells and whistles or an OS so their customers would need to upgrade to new phones to me is unethical.  Dumping of phones that are still in perfect working order otherwise is very much environmentally unsustainable.

(06-21-2021, 10:50 AM)xdude Wrote: My S3 and S4 were great in their times, those should be since those are Samsung Flagship phones. But those phones are battery hogs. But I heard these battery problems got better with later versions like S6.
True.  If one checks out even the budget range of Samsung, i.e. A12, A20,21 etc most of the reviews have only good things to say about their battery life.  I'd imagine the current Samsung flagship models (that are completely out of my zone of affordability) must be even better.  Mind you most brand phones these days seem to be doing better with battery life than a couple or more years ago.  

(06-21-2021, 10:50 AM)xdude Wrote: So my current phone is an Xiaomi Redmi 9. 5 years ago I wouldn't even dream to have a Chiese model but things have changed a lot. Brands like Xiaomi and Huawe have focused on quality rather than quntity. I was going for a Huawei but new models lacking Google Play Store is a big issue for me. This is when I started  research about Xiaomi models.  I was supprised to see how long these guys have come from those cheap models. After checking price vs preformace I decided to Redmi 9 was the best option at that time in the market. Now After a year I haven't regret that decision. It's a good soild phone. Nothing fansy but It has lived up to my expectations.
 That is so true.  In South Africa in particular, where we have issues with lack of a great variety of models, China seems to be doing very well - in fact China is thriving in Africa - Xiaomi Redmi is very popular.  Huawei has been around for years and its budget models are much sought after.  Apple and Samsung are popular too although the flagship models are out of the range of most people price wise.  They're the only two non-Chinese brands of note in South Africa.  Apple has a very strong and loyal following particularly by professionals, and Samsung is most popular for its budget range phones which provide affordable quality.

(06-21-2021, 01:54 PM)debjit Wrote: I am using a Samsung s5.
It is an old 3g mobile phone and has all features I need. Wifi camera and a screen. I also have Jio Phone for any voice calls.
Samsung s5 specifications here https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s5-6033.php
I am thinking to buy a new phone in a couple of days. My s5 battery is lasting about 3hours for now, showing it's age.

Sounds like a great phone.  I was amazed last week when I tried my old 2g Nokia 1100 mobile phones as I thought that 2g would have been phased out by now. I last used the phones in 2018. I know that I won't be able to use the phones in Canada.  But they're still going strong in South Africa.  I'd even venture to say that quality of reception is better than 4g.

(06-21-2021, 02:50 PM)Mashiro Wrote: I have a Samsung Galaxy S10 (DUOS). DUOS simply stands for dual SIM. I have the European model with the Exynos 9820 CPU (I'd rather have the Snapdragon version), 8 GB of RAM and 128 GB of storage (I also added a 64 GB µSD). Running stock Samsung Android 11 with the latest available patches from Samsung and Google patch level.
Wow!  Those specs are to dream for.  I'd imagine though that it would be important for you to have a top level phone like this for work?  

(06-21-2021, 02:50 PM)Mashiro Wrote: The battery is probably too small for such a phone with the features that it has. On my usage it lasts about two days though.
That's amazing though.  2 days in my mobile experience with the Xperia and with your software sounds like great battery life.

(06-21-2021, 02:50 PM)Mashiro Wrote: Way to much Samsung bloatware installed that I cannot remove.
I found the same with my Xperia.  For me it's bloatware as well, with absolutely nothing positive to offer.  Not even a workable upgrade experience.

I didn't experience the same extreme of Xperia bloatware on my Samsung Galaxy S7 however.  What was annoying though was with Android in general (through good old Google) to have to spend hours turning off notifications and disabling apps selectively when I first started to use my Xperia cell phone.  The greater challenge being minimizing features that like to use air time like fixing location, that type of thing.  I had to go through an enormous learning curve fighting the invasion of these apps and air time gobbling features.  When I took out my old Nokia 1100 phones last week it just reminded me the invisible payments we're making in air time for the luxury of having a "smart" phone.  Seems like the SIM providers have found a neat way to work the SIM so it gets to raid air time.  Not to mention all of the spam that comes through.  And unethical practices of doing deals with third party games vendors through the SIM - I've heard of so many old people by accident clicking on games links that led to automatic charges.  Crazy times for sure to the equivalent of the Wild West of cell phones.
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
I have Huawei y9 prime 2019
LTPS IPS Display 6.59 inches screen
Kirin 710F 9nm processor.
3G/4G supported
Dual sim with dedicated Card slot
Internal 4/128 GB memory
Triple camera setup (16/8/2)MP
front motorized pop-up camera. 16MP
non removeable battery
3.5mm jack
fast charging supported.
Bluetooth 5, GPS, FM Radio
OS Android 9 and upgradeable
about two years of use and not a single issue i face.

In secondary phones i have LG G3 with Kali linux OS
Heart LOVE FOR ALL  HATRED FOR NONE Heart
Pages (2):

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post
10-26-2019, 07:26 AM
Last Post: rudra

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting