arrow_upward

Pages (2):
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steam vs Epic Game Store
This battle was a clear win for Steam until a few weeks back...

In short, Valve (owner of Steam) went on a court case against a French company and lost. Now they are legally obliged to make a service where people can sell their used Steam games (unless they win their re).
This can cause many devs to see a significant drop in their earning because now people would be able to buy games for cheaper and they might shift to Epic Games Store.

What are your thoughts on this?
(09-24-2019, 01:31 PM)HariVP Wrote: This battle was a clear win for Steam until a few weeks back...

In short, Valve (owner of Steam) went on a court case against a French company and lost. Now they are legally obliged to make a service where people can sell their used Steam games (unless they win their re).
This can cause many devs to see a significant drop in their earning because now people would be able to buy games for cheaper and they might shift to Epic Games Store.

What are your thoughts on this?

French will go after every steam-like provider like origin,uplay,etc and of course epic game storeĀ  included

That is a good thing to sell the game . It increase competition and that is the thing what i dreamed before

Now whem you doesnt like the game you can sell it

The only problem that i see is with illegal carding game that the seller of illegal carding game can get easier . Hopefully there is a system to prevent this when the sell feature introduced
Terminal
humanpuff69@FPAX:~$ Thanks To Shadow Hosting And Post4VPS for VPS 5
I wasn't aware of this untill i read about it , but to be honest i have never used Epic Game store (except fortnite) I am not sure how much this would except steam , but in my opinion i believe the effect almost close to none, because i have played several games , i got friends who play a lot of pc games and none of them use Epic Game Store. I would say steam will stand their ground firm eventhough they lost the case.
Thanks to Host4Fun and Post4VPS for my VPS 1.
I personally do not care. I will buy from anything that's not locked down i.e. GoG. I do not like to be tied down to one platform. I know there's perks of Steam but I better stay free than be locked. I do not give a damn about exclusivity either. If it does exclusive to one platform -- simply I won't buy it.
No one knows what the future holds, that's why its potential is infinite
I don't think a rookie can replace an old one like steam.
Steam is an old company, and all gamers and even ordinary people will get into Steam for their first quest. How can epic replace this big company?
Also, let's say steam vs uplay (see more interesting results).
Thanks Post4VPS
Like one user mentioned, It would be extremely unfair if only Steam was forced to follow this, however, for the consumer side this means cheaper games ofcourse, and unlike physical CDs, these used games won't have any quality problems so It can really be a game changer
Thanks to ShadowHosting and Post4VPS for my VPS 5!
Oh... A clickbait topic. I thought these would stay away from here.

Information backed up by actual facts (e.g. a link to the court case decision): Nope
Links given to credible reports (sources like e.g. most trustable and popular news sites): Nope
A topic title/content that is not on-topic but rather trying to bash something/someone: Yep

Anyway. This is really news? It's been years that European courts decided in favor of customers in terms of "used software" (which games are also). And it has been pretty much the same decision: you are allowed to sell used software. A few years after a decision came out for OEM software licenses which also ended up easily as "companies and individuals are allowed to sell OEM licenses with proper explanation and branding them as such licenses".

Of course Steam being a US company... will drag or be dragged to court for decisions already made long ago just to get defeated a second time however the outcome is or shouldn't be a surprise at all!
[Image: zHHqO5Q.png]
Oh -- yes! I remember hearing about this. I think this is beautiful that they are going to be able to sell their games for actual $$$. I think that this is a great step as you can already do this with physical copies. Hopefully this is going to be like this everywhere, but I highly doubt it. The value of these games depreciate over time.
Thank you Post4VPS and BladeNode for VPS 6
Hmm yeah I read a news like that and I have been laughing since then. Why?
Well, how can you apply the status of "used" to a digital good?
There is no way that BITS can get old and worn.
How can you set a price to something that is it like new and it is already sold by its creator?

I hope that Europe blocks this decision because it will just give a wrong example and will start uprisings for every digital content seller.
With the same logic of French then I MUST HAVE THE RIGHT TO SELL MY DIGITAL BOOKS and DIGITAL ALBUMS.

Crazy, right?
Thanks to Post4VPS and Bladenodefor VPS 14
(10-23-2019, 08:12 PM)LightDestory Wrote: Hmm yeah I read a news like that and I have been laughing since then. Why?
Well, how can you apply the status of "used" to a digital good?
There is no way that BITS can get old and worn.
How can you set a price to something that is it like new and it is already sold by its creator?

I hope that Europe blocks this decision because it will just give a wrong example and will start uprisings for every digital content seller.
With the same logic of French then I MUST HAVE THE RIGHT TO SELL MY DIGITAL BOOKS and DIGITAL ALBUMS.

Crazy, right?

I guess the whole idea is that according to French laws, people who buy the game also have the right to later sell it should they wish to. To some extent this already happens unofficially as you can easily find game accounts far cheaper than buying the actual game but since those are unofficial there's always that element of doubt in them, if Steam starts providing this feature for the norm then It'd be a gamechanger imo, games and accounts won't retain their value over the years as much and developers could end up loosing money as well
Thanks to ShadowHosting and Post4VPS for my VPS 5!
Pages (2):

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post
05-02-2021, 01:45 AM
Last Post: mzltest
04-30-2021, 10:40 AM
Last Post: Sn1F3rt
06-22-2020, 01:32 PM
Last Post: Honey

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting