arrow_upward

Pages (2):
Suggestion for an Internet and Web development Sections
I'm not sure for the rest of you but I feel like this board is in dire need for an Internet Section and a Web development section. Be it forums or subforums doesn't matter, at least section where all the threads relating to Internet technologies (network and protocol issues) are lumped together. The same for the Web development topic, where the front-end and the back-end issues, be it scripting or management/admin aspects coexist in a coherent way.

The 'Web design' exists but for me that's too narrow of a topic, while 'Scripting & Programming' is too broad, IMHO :-)
VirMach's Buffalo_VPS-9 Holder (Dec. 20 - July 21)
microLXC's Container Holder (july 20 - ?)
VirMach's Phoenix_VPS-9 Holder (Apr. 20 - June 20)
NanoKVM's NAT-VPS Holder (jan. 20 - ?)
(12-21-2019, 08:23 AM)fChk Wrote: I'm not sure for the rest of you but I feel like this board is in dire need for an Internet Section and a Web development section. Be it forums or subforums doesn't matter, at least section where all the threads relating to Internet technologies (network and protocol issues) are lumped together. The same for the Web development topic, where the front-end and the back-end issues, be it scripting or management/admin aspects coexist in a coherent way.

The 'Web design' exists but for me that's too narrow of a topic, while 'Scripting & Programming' is too broad, IMHO :-)

Thank you for the feedback @fChk.

I'll be grateful if you could provide a more detailed suggestion, i.e. a revamp of Web development vs internet topics and how you think they should be listed to make more logical sense for you.
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
I think that https://post4vps.com/Forum-Web-Design should be renamed to something like that and the description should be updated. If you look into it people already use it for similar requests related not just to web design anyway. I don't see a need for a new forum/subforum to be honest. Remember that despite the fact that this forum might look active there are only a small number of active members, sadly. So if you start pulling the forums apart with new forums or subforums it still start to look empty and inactive even more quickly. That's not good.
[Image: zHHqO5Q.png]
(12-21-2019, 09:22 AM)Hidden Refuge Wrote: I think that https://post4vps.com/Forum-Web-Design should be renamed to something like that and the description should be updated. If you look into it people already use it for similar requests related not just to web design anyway. I don't see a need for a new forum/subforum to be honest. Remember that despite the fact that this forum might look active there are only a small number of active members, sadly. So if you start pulling the forums apart with new forums or subforums it still start to look empty and inactive even more quickly. That's not good.

Thank you for the feedback @"Hidden Refuge". To what do you suggest should Forum Web Design be renamed to and is it possible to recommend wording for an updated description.

I tend to agree with you on your other comments. Members seem to be posting a lot in the Games and Hobbies Forums and this may not justify a huge change in the other sections of the Forum. But still, it would be nice if there are members who think the Forum topic groupings and headings or descriptions are not logical or out of date, if they could also provide exact details of what they think what it should look like. I.e. if they want a separation of Internet and Web Developmennt topics, then provide a framework and specific content so members can see it for themselves and if supported, then we can implement it as suggested. If not supported, reject it, or modify it.
Terminal
(12-21-2019, 09:22 AM)Hidden Refuge Wrote: I think that https://post4vps.com/Forum-Web-Design should be renamed to something like that and the description should be updated. If you look into it people already use it for similar requests related not just to web design anyway. I don't see a need for a new forum/subforum to be honest. Remember that despite the fact that this forum might look active there are only a small number of active members, sadly. So if you start pulling the forums apart with new forums or subforums it still start to look empty and inactive even more quickly. That's not good.
That's a good point indeed, and the idea of re-branding the Web Design forum is a possible compromise for the Web Development topics. Although I would rather put them as a subforum in the 'Scripting & Programming' Forum where they semantically belong.

(12-21-2019, 08:54 AM)deanhills Wrote: Thank you for the feedback @fChk.

I'll be grateful if you could provide a more detailed suggestion, i.e. a revamp of Web development vs internet topics and how you think they should be listed to make more logical sense for you.
I've made the suggestion out of frustration really and it's not the first time that I felt something is missing around here :-).

As an anecdote. When I posted the 'Heads-Up: Firefox rolling DNS-over-HTTPS (DoH)' thread, it was in the 'General' forum (because I didn't find an Internet or Web technologies section). @Dynamo then moved it to the Software forum. For me the central issue of the thread is the new standard (ie DoH), which happens to be implemented by Firefox in the OP; but for @Dynamo it was the browser (ie the software.) Granted that a software forum is better suited than a General forum... but it reveals the issue I'm facing. The same thing happened with my Going Dark 2.0 thread (posted in the General Forum.) In the absence of an Internet Technologies section, the General forum is (to me) the default for this kind of topics.

And indeed, there are a lot of threads scattered around various forums that should have required the creation of this section; from the top of my head, right now, the Crypto-currencies threads: that's a P2P Internet technology for example.

Anyway, I'm fine either way. I was just registering my thoughts in here. Hopefully, it will be backed by other like-minded folks.

Thanks! @deanhills
(12-21-2019, 02:17 PM)fChk Wrote: ..... As an anecdote. When I posted the 'Heads-Up: Firefox rolling DNS-over-HTTPS (DoH)' thread, it was in the 'General' forum (because I didn't find an Internet or Web technologies section). @Dynamo then moved it to the Software forum. For me the central issue of the thread is the new standard (ie DoH), which happens to be implemented by Firefox in the OP; but for @Dynamo it was the browser (ie the software.) Granted that a software forum is better suited than a General forum... but it reveals the issue I'm facing. The same thing happened with my Going Dark 2.0 thread (posted in the General Forum.) In the absence of an Internet Technologies section, the General forum is (to me) the default for this kind of topics.

And indeed, there are a lot of threads scattered around various forums that should have required the creation of this section; from the top of my head, right now, the Crypto-currencies threads: that's a P2P Internet technology for example.

So I believe a new subforum called "Web technologies" should be good enough for your purposes.

And then the current subforum "Web Design" can be kept unchanged.

I would also agree that we should consider a new subforum called "Cryptocurrencies", as there is a general demand for that specific topic.

In my opinion, I'd sort of agree with @"Hidden Refuge", that the 'Well Design' subforum should be renamed to 'Web Development' as it'd then cover a wider perspective, that is, broadly everything related to webD related things could be clubbed under this.

For the Internet section, I'm not too sure of it as I feel the webD section would be good enough for including all of those topics.

For Crypto Currencies, yeah I'd agree that we can have a subforum dedicated to this as it's a generic trend of the present generation and there's a lot to be covered there. I myself would be very keen to contribute there as I'm quite interested in that topic.

Regards,
Sayan Bhattacharyya,

Heartiest thanks to Post4VPS and Virmach for my wonderful VPS 9!
Well ..... web design is not equal to web development, but one component of it. I've made some modifications to the section, creating a new category "Web Development" and moving all of the sections that are part of Web Development under it.

Let me know whether this works for you.
Terminal
(12-22-2019, 05:09 PM)deanhills Wrote: Well ..... web design is not equal to web development, but one component of it.  I've made some modifications to the section, creating a new category "Web Development" and moving all of the sections that are part of Web Development under it.

Let me know whether this works for you.

Ok, my suggestion on the new categories without introducing more changes:

> Geek World:
   >> Gaming Section
   >> Hardware & Technology
   >> Software
   >> Scripting & Programming

> Internet && Web Technologies
   >> Web Development (back-end + front-end development)
   >> Web Design (&& web mastering: CMS management etc..)
   >> SEO Optimization
   >> Internet Technologies (default for all Internet topics excluding the above three topics.)

This classification seems more objective to me.
(12-22-2019, 06:24 PM)fChk Wrote: Ok, my suggestion on the new categories without introducing more changes:

> Geek World:
   >> Gaming Section
   >> Hardware & Technology
   >> Software
   >> Scripting & Programming

> Internet && Web Technologies
   >> Web Development (back-end + front-end development)
   >> Web Design (&& web mastering: CMS management etc..)
   >> SEO Optimization
   >> Internet Technologies (default for all Internet topics excluding the above three topics.)

This classification seems more objective to me.

Thank you for the detailed suggestion @fChk.  Let me know whether the end product is OK here. Where would your last topic on Firefox go? Can you point out where we should move it to make it more logical for you?

Also of course the feedback of all other members on the changes will be much appreciated.  Hopefully this can be a collaborative exercise until we have it more or less perfect. I'll spend more time on the descriptions of the Forums when we've got them finalized and have @Dynamo's approval for the changes.
Terminal
Pages (2):

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post
12-31-2020, 11:08 PM
Last Post: deanhills
04-07-2019, 10:35 AM
Last Post: deanhills

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting