arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do you think of VestaCP ?
(05-22-2020, 03:38 PM)humanpuff69 Wrote: ..... basically the creator of this panel want to make people life hard not easier like what cpanel does.....

I would not say in this way. I would say the creator of VestaCP focuses mainly on their paid version, not the free version.

Because I heard from some friends telling that VestaCP team is quite helpful in resolving customer queries as they have bought the paid version.

VestaCP can still be an option for some people who do not like to play with command line. Smile

(05-28-2020, 09:54 AM)tryp4vps Wrote: I would not say in this way. I would say the creator of VestaCP focuses mainly on their paid version, not the free version.

Because I heard from some friends telling that VestaCP team is quite helpful in resolving customer queries as they have bought the paid version.

VestaCP can still be an option for some people who do not like to play with command line. Smile

that is one of my complaint . their panel is pay to win . the file manager and the chroot thing is paid and they said like it a small feature in reality it is a huge feature for some people

and the user experience is really confusing . i used to install it just to try because i dont know why people like vesta cp and defending this stupid piece of program and when i use it it is extremely confusing . what i found is that it is still easier to use terminal . so that just debunk the command line theory because who want a panel that is harder to use than a command line or terminal . no panel did the job right except cpanel . that is why cpanel have monopoly on panel market BECAUSE THEY CARE ABOUT USER EXPERIENCE . THEIR PANEL IS EASY TO USE . THEY CARE ABOUT THEY USER . THEY DONT MAKE PANEL THAT IS CRYPTIC ONLY THE CREATOR THAT CAN USE IT . you want example of good free panel . well it is not a website panel but it is a game panel call pterodactyl . it is a little bit weird in the admin side (still easy to learn) but it is AS EASY AS WHAT GAME PANEL SHOULD BE . they also not pay to win like VESTA CP that everyone like but i extremely hate . and because pterodactyl is easier than terminal and also allow for other people to connect that have no linux experience to control the server . THAT IS WHAT PANEL SHOULD BE . MAKING THING EASIER FOR PEOPLE. NOT MAKING IT HARDER BY USING PANEL THAT DESIGNED TO F*CK YOU UP
Terminal
humanpuff69@FPAX:~$ Thanks To Shadow Hosting And Post4VPS for VPS 5
(05-28-2020, 10:12 AM)humanpuff69 Wrote: that is one of my complaint . their panel is pay to win . the file manager and the chroot thing is paid and they said like it a small feature in reality it is a huge feature for some people

and the user experience is really confusing . i used to install it just to try because i dont know why people like vesta cp and defending this stupid piece of program and when i use it it is extremely confusing . what i found is that it is still easier to use terminal . so that just debunk the command line theory because who want a panel that is harder to use than a command line or terminal . no panel did the job right except cpanel . that is why cpanel have monopoly on panel market BECAUSE THEY CARE ABOUT USER EXPERIENCE . THEIR PANEL IS EASY TO USE . THEY CARE ABOUT THEY USER . THEY DONT MAKE PANEL THAT IS CRYPTIC ONLY THE CREATOR THAT CAN USE IT . you want example of good free panel . well it is not a website panel but it is a game panel call pterodactyl . it is a little bit weird in the admin side (still easy to learn) but it is AS EASY AS WHAT GAME PANEL SHOULD BE . they also not pay to win like VESTA CP that everyone like but i extremely hate . and because pterodactyl is easier than terminal and also allow for other people to connect that have no linux experience to control the server . THAT IS WHAT PANEL SHOULD BE . MAKING THING EASIER FOR PEOPLE. NOT MAKING IT HARDER BY USING PANEL THAT DESIGNED TO F*CK YOU UP

That's a bit unfair to VestaCP @humanpuff69.  I can understand why you don't need to use VestaCP, but you are judging the panel too harshly.  In the beginning the fact that the support for VestaCP was paid, made a difference, but it no longer makes a difference for the free Panel, as VestaCP has developed a discussion Forum over the years collecting info that basically covers all of the inquiries that one needs to ask. There is plenty of documentation on the VestaCP site to refer to. The discussion Forum is also actively supported by qualified Admin.  

One can never compare VestaCP with cPanel for example, as it has its pros and cons, but for me there are many more pros than cons in the free version of VestaCP:

1. Installation menu to tailormake the bash script for the VPS
2. An actively supported discussion Forum
3. Plenty of documentation on VestaCP Website to refer to
4. An attractive interface, easy to use.  Excellent DNS Server. I'm able to install Websites within minutes of installing VestaCP.
5. For those who are into Softaculous it has a free version of Softaculous that is easy to upgrade to paid for a small registration fee.

On the con side I'm worried always about security.  So I make sure not to include an e-mail and FTP server in my bash script.  But it is a risk.  A calculated risk.  So far however (don't want to talk too loudly), in all the years I've been using it since 2014 my panel hasn't been hacked yet.  Or so I hope.

Another con is it doesn't have a File Manager, but I actually prefer that because of safety and security issue.  I've learned to do without it easy.
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
(05-22-2020, 03:38 PM)humanpuff69 Wrote: i never used cyberpanel or even heard of it before . i dont use panel espescially that isnt cpanel and in case cpanel isnt available i use terminal instead without any panel . the only panel that is user friendly is cpanel . that is why they can charge so much because they are monopoly in panel that actually work and easy to use

vesta cp and other sh*tty panel doesnt care about the user . they only care about themself with extremly cryptic user experience . and speaking about the experience . using temrinal to manage the website is MORE USER FRIENDLY BETTER USER EXPERIENCE than any of the panel like vesta cp . i also use ispconfig and it is really weird like vesta cp . basically the creator of this panel want to make people life hard not easier like what cpanel does

for my website i use terminal . with lemp configuration linux nginx mariadb php no panel required

@humanpuff69

Actually what you have told are wrong in so many levels.

You say you use terminal for your " Website ". Yeah probably ok for a single or couple of websites or for a pet project. But if you are using dozens of websites and need to do various tasks daily then terminal is not practical at all. That is why people pay insane amount for commercial panels like cPanel. Here we just run a script than type whole thing in command prompt. It saves time and have less margin for error when you are dealing with multiple sites. I thought same like you in those days I just ran my pet project but once you start doing things professional level you just understand the difference.

Also I noticed you talk about lack of user friendliness in panels except for cPanel. Now this is something relative. Whole point of having a panel is user friendliness. You don't need to know linux to use a panel. You have GUI interface which take care of those commands in background. The reason cPanel looks so user friendly for most of us is because more than 95% people starts using web hosting with cPanel and shared hosting. We use it long time before try any other panel so we always feels like cPanel is easy to use.

Panel developers do care about their product. At least those most popular panels. That's why each of these free hosting panels have their own 1000's of faithful user bases. You can't compare these with cpanel which is a massive commercial project. SO yeah there are short comings in each of these panels but for an average user the functionality these offer are more than enough. I have used vertualmin for years because its very secure and let you micro manage many things which other free panels don't let you. This panel considered hard to use and not so user friendly. That's because they have named common web hosting functions in different names than cPanel. So it take sometime to get used to. I didn't mind that since I found it's a solid panel once you get it installed and configured.

About security, That's on the user. Like @deanhills I have yet to had a server which I built compromised. Once you choose a panel first thing to do it find out all of it's pros and cons. Then you need to create set of standards for server creation and configuring. Also set of basic server hardening rules. You need to figure which default services/modules should be removed and which to keep. Also if there any extras to be installed. After that you stick with setup. You don't try to fix issues which hasn't happened or do experiments. All you need to do is keep everything upto date.

~ Be yourself everybody else is taken ~

I was thinking hard if i should post it. yesterday i decided against posting this here. but today i want to. so I'm just going to go ahead and unload...

I think learning the business through using panels and only through panels is probably never going to help one become a good webmaster with big / many operations all being run by him efficiently.

he may succeed by becoming the content creator and or marketer whatever. but he will always have to rely on others who are capable of working the command line and get their hands dirty when problems arise and need solving. and they often and regularly do.

what i mean is, one must learn to be proficient at using command lines to do things and prepares notes and bunches of scripts to do standard things. like developing a system for them or adopting one from a mentor or whatever. now they can be said to be ready to move on to using control panel to do the regular stuffs routinely, with a clear conceptual understanding of what is going on and how to think about all that when something goes awry.

control panel makes boring repainting tasks easy to perform. but it will never replace the knowledge you would acquire by working directly through command line and that is a very important knowledge to have. if one is to stay here handling the technical things of operations.

one is not superior to the other. working thorough command line or control panel. but one takes deeper knowledge of what's happening behind the nice curtain and that knowledge is very crucial to have. that's what I'm saying.

not that one should keep using command line for all their operations even when they need to maintain hundreds or thousands of systems.

***now i silently wait for a barrage of arguments from the control panel lovers*** Tongue
Sincere Thanks to VirMach for my VPS9. Also many thanks to Shadow Hosting and cubedata for the experiences I had with their VPSs.
@rudra

Haha. I couldn't resist but posting back.

A decade ago a webmaster was someone who is jack of all trades. Today it's different. Technically there are no webmasters anymore. Today Majority are bloggers and those who run e-commerce shops. People no longer develop websites from scratch. Just take a CMS like Wordpress and customize it. Many hire someone to do it. Same goes for SEO. You don't have to keep an eye on all those Google Algorithm changes and searching for solutions. You hire an SEO firm for that. They take care of optimization part for small fee. Same goes for Web Hosting. I can take care of a vps but I pay 50$ per month for a Manage VPS from KnownHost. Their support staff is really good. They monitor the vps notifiy me if somethings wrong like brute force, DDOS or even server load problems due to a outdated plugin or something. Also I open a ticket and say something is wrong here, they would respond in minutes, investigate and explain me the problem and give me options to sort it out. or they woud take care of it by them selves. All these would take 10x more time if I do by my self or still would have to contact them. So that 50$ is totally worth the service.

So it's all depends on what you really want. That 50 usd pays back totally for my business. But it's usuless for someone who has couple of websites which gives you no profit. Ofc it's good to know how to handle things command line and everything. But it doesn't mean you have to do it for sake of that.

If this is wrong thing things like Managed hosting or specialized services like shopify, Esty would have been long gone. Smile

(05-28-2020, 10:12 AM)humanpuff69 Wrote: that is one of my complaint . their panel is pay to win . the file manager and the chroot thing is paid and they said like it a small feature in reality it is a huge feature for some people .....

Although I do not use VestaCP and am also using command line, I do not think it is fair to complain VestaCP like this.

Because I believe it is a normal business practice to favor paid customers over non-paid customers. VestaCP is surely not the only one doing so. Smile

(06-02-2020, 09:55 AM)tryp4vps Wrote: Although I do not use VestaCP and am also using command line, I do not think it is fair to complain VestaCP like this.  

Because I believe it is a normal business practice to favor paid customers over non-paid customers. VestaCP is surely not the only one doing so.  Smile

I disagree completely.

There are tons of panels a million times better than VestaCP that won’t charge you for anything, and they’re completely free!!!

Take Cyberpanel as an example. Has a hell of a lot more features compared to VestaCP, works like a dream on mobile devices, File Manager built in out if the box for no extra price.

And to anyone that says what about the pricing plans on their website? Well, if you read properly, you can clearly see “Cyberpanel enterprise” above those prices. The OpenLiteSpeed version is completely free with zero limitations. Heck, even the enterprise version has a free plan.

Obviously each company/individual has the choice on whether they want to charge for their product or not. And no one is forced to use it (and hence pay for it). Look for what suites your needs and budget. In my opinion, Cyberpanel has everything VestaCP has, plus a hell of a lot more... and you won’t have to pay for any of it!
Thank you Post4VPS and VirMach for providing me with VPS9! But now it’s time to say farewell due to my studies.
@ikk157

We have to face the reality. Sooner or later Cyberpanel will add premium support too. It's just that they are not at that level yet. If a panel is someones pet project then it won't get anywhere. Because developers would update it when they have time not when it needs. Their full time jobs are more important to them since a pet project won't feed them. Unless it pay their bills they wont able to fully focus on it. I have this happen too many times to free tools. If it to be a serious panel they need to hire security auditors time to time also other expert. These things don't come cheap either. Nobody gonna do all these from their own money so everyone else just go and use it for free.

So I think premium support is a good thing. Free users can use forum support which is not bad. Those who willing to pay to sort out their problems so why not developers earn something from it. They have spend hours and hours of their valuable time so they definitely deserve it. If they earn enough from it they can focus on the panel full time. We should be really glad because those who don't need paid support can use the panel free and also get forum support for free.

(06-02-2020, 10:03 AM)ikk157 Wrote: I disagree completely.

There are tons of panels a million times better than VestaCP that won’t charge you for anything, and they’re completely free!!!

Take Cyberpanel as an example.....

Good points. But I guess you misunderstand my main point here. I just said that favoring paid customers over non-paid customers is normal.

And I believe that even Cyberpanel Enterprise version should have provided better services to their paid customers than their non-paid customers. Smile

lockThread Closed 

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting