arrow_upward

Pages (3):
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows 7 Updates end on 14 January - what will you be doing?
(06-07-2020, 05:57 AM)fChk Wrote: Guess who came to my mind as to that "entry into the Microsoft exit" ?!.. Of course, it was @deanhills!.. Still standing in front of that M$$'s exit... ?! :-)

Yes I am @fChk!   Blush

Glad Khadeer asked about the updates, now I know at least they are for Windows Defender.  I've always been irritated with Windows Defender for Windows 7, as Windows Defender is only installed on Windows 8 upwards.  For Windows 7 one has to load Microsoft Security Essentials. My Microsoft Security Essentials is on automatic updates. At one point I had Kaspersky, but for the last two years Kaspersky became so huge, it would drag my Windows down. So Microsoft Security Essentials works OK for me. It's super light, and still supported by Microsoft.
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
(06-08-2020, 02:44 AM)deanhills Wrote: Yes I am @fChk!   Blush

Glad Khadeer asked about the updates, now I know at least they are for Windows Defender.  I've always been irritated with Windows Defender for Windows 7, as Windows Defender is only installed on Windows 8 upwards.  For Windows 7 one has to load Microsoft Security Essentials.  My Microsoft Security Essentials is on automatic updates.  At one point I had Kaspersky, but for the last two years Kaspersky became so huge, it would drag my Windows down.  So Microsoft Security Essentials works OK for me.  It's super light, and still supported by Microsoft.

I’ve always wondered, why don’t you just take a snapshot of your current installation, copy your files to an external usb drive, the install a clean version of Windows 8.1 (The reason i recommend a clean installation is so you don’t migrate any “junk” from windows 7 if you’re going to just update the installation).

Then use it for an hour or so and see how much you like it. If you don’t like it, then just restore from the snapshot you took earlier and you’ll be right back to your older windows 7 installation (everything will be there as you left it).

That way, you won’t have to worry about microsoft not supporting it since windows 8.1 still has many more years to go before microsoft drops support to it (by then your laptop would probably need to be replaced anyway as I’m sure it’ll be obsolete, just in case it probably isn’t already)

And also, as I’ve described in your other thread, Windows 8.1 tends to run a hell of a lot faster and smoother compared to windows 7... I literally couldn’t believe how fast it was when i installed it!

This approach is, in my opinion, the best way for you to determine what’s best for your case. Since instead of relying on information based on other people’s experiences, you get to actually try it out and experience it for yourself! That eliminates all variables!
Thank you Post4VPS and VirMach for providing me with VPS9! But now it’s time to say farewell due to my studies.
I help maintain and manage my family's systems using macOS Server for those on that platform and then System Center for my family on the Windows platform. I honestly am excited to get the rest of them off of 7 and even 8.1 over to Windows 10 and then tell them it is a mandatory update for their security haha.
Thank you to CubeData and Posts4VPS for the services of VPS 8.
Pages (3):

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting