arrow_upward

Pages (2):
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
using otg and charging android at the same time
hi guys,
 did any of you ever use otg (keyboard, mouse and say a powered hdd) all the while charging the phone at the same time ? i read that it is possible.

here is a link,
otg charging together

im sure you understand the impact of it on usability of our phone.

let me know of your story. im going to try it on my cheaper older android mobile phone.

i will let you know how it goes after im done experimenting. thanks.
Sincere Thanks to VirMach for my VPS9. Also many thanks to Shadow Hosting and cubedata for the experiences I had with their VPSs.
I was able to find a USB hub connector for my Android phone a few months ago in a Dubai computer souk.  Spent hours searching for one - could find an iphone connector easy, but for android I had to search further and deeper.  Successfully connected a keyboard with it.  I'm sure one would be able to get a USB extension from the USB hub to the wall for charging the phone at the same time.  I haven't tried charging it yet at the same time, but theoretically that looks possible.  The USB hub works beautiful with my Samsung Tablet as well.  I was able to find a SanDisk flash disk that easily connects to my Android phone as well - and the Samsung Tablet.  The Flashdisk is a dual USB and Android connector device - 64GB.
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
I Ever Charge My Smartphone with OTG from a Smartphone!
It is even more slow than doing a power charge from a laptop!
I use OTG for other purposes such as connecting a keyboard & mouse to a smartphone because the smartphone's touchscreen is damaged,
It works normally like a laptop!
So that I use the smartphone with a keyboard and mouse, and it's more different than usual
At least I don't know the side effects of this
Terminal
Solo Developer
why none understands what im trying to say ?! even after i gave the link. may be my bad english..
anyways...let me try again from abcd...

all im trying to do is charging using normal charger[well, you need a usb b micro or usb c to normal size adapter here i guess] while using otg with anything i like.
Sincere Thanks to VirMach for my VPS9. Also many thanks to Shadow Hosting and cubedata for the experiences I had with their VPSs.
(11-15-2018, 01:10 AM)rudra Wrote: why none understands what im trying to say ?! even after i gave the link. may be my bad english..
anyways...let me try again from abcd...

all im trying to do is charging using normal charger[well, you need a usb b micro or usb c to normal size adapter here i guess] while using otg with anything i like.

I did check the Website, thought I got it, but maybe I didn't.   I thought one could only do that with a connector that is attached to a USB hub.  Looks as though someone wants to do it with a tablet.
If you check the discussion below that diagram some of the guys don't get it either - maybe it's technically too advanced for us and maybe you could simplify it for us. Tongue
Terminal
i doubt it is technically too advance. it is just a convenience people dont expect. they will get too used to it if they got it everywhere, to the point of expecting it by default.

in short, i want to use it as a laptop.

if you use otg for longer durations, you will have to unplug and recharge your phone multiple times. now in my case, when im using my phones for longer durations and am near a power outlet, i edit configuration files to make it recharge my set upto say 50 percent and then get into fully charged mode.

what it does is it maintains lower voltage across the battery and stops charging it up. like maintaining a steady charge state and supplying energy to your phone directly from power outlet. mobile batteries are killed by recharge cycles and heat and continuous high voltage across its electrodes (like keeping it at 100 percent and plugged in all the times).

i do charge upto 85 percent when im going out.

now when i use otg, i have to repeatedly go through charge - discharge cycles to keep using it.

so my idea is to supply the phone with power to maintain 50 percent charged state and keep using the otg. i mean even if you use external power to run otg connected devices, the phone will use energy and keep discharging.
(11-17-2018, 01:37 AM)rudra Wrote: so my idea is to supply the phone with power to maintain 50 percent charged state and keep using the otg. i mean even if you use external power to run otg connected devices, the phone will use energy and keep discharging.

OK I think I get it now.  Something like this - B or C:

[Image: MtM6Tyx.png]

I found this discussion  - Can you use USB OTG and charge at the same time?

Some of those who responded were confused.  Some said "no".  Others said "depends on the device".

Apparently one has to check first whether the device is otg compatible - which I'm sure you've already checked - but just for the benefit of others who are looking at doing this - one checks it with a Google app:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...otgchecker

You then need a special cable that works with otg.

For the simultaneous charging to work your tablet must support "accessory" mode and you have to get an accessory charge adapter.  Gets further tricky with how to get the right voltage.  I'm sure you'd be able to swing it being a super tech.  Would be great to let us know when you've found a way to accomplish your goal.

Here is a best answer to the question I found (got a green tick against it) - note your device needs to be able to be compliant with "accessory mode":

Quote:In case (3) the tablet will take charge as from a regular 500-mA port. However, there will be no any USB connections.

To have your tablet to be charged and simultaneously be in host mode, a special arrangement is required. In USB charging specification it is called "accessory charger adapter". For some more details you can see this item. However, your tablet must support this "accessory" mode, which may not be the case.
Source (check for green tick against comment): https://superuser.com/questions/1136336/...ve/1136353
Terminal
thanks dean. i read all those and in the process of trying it myself on my cheaper older android set. thanks for going through all the effort.
what i wanted to know here was whether anyone here did this themselves ... thanks again.
that is the biggest flaw of otg you cannot charge at the sametime . and with removal of headphone jack that on some phone basically use otg because the sound card is on the dongle itself you cannot charge and use headphone at same time . the solution is probably to use the wireless alternative for mouse and keyboard use bluetooth and for charging use the wireless charging but that isnt great soultion either . and like @deanhills says its need special otg that probably only work on specific tablet/phone so it isnt worth it for most people and probably why otg doesnt took off . it is rarely used on top of that with this charging problem
Terminal
humanpuff69@FPAX:~$ Thanks To Shadow Hosting And Post4VPS for VPS 5
yeah. i use hdd share from my router or computer when on phone. but writing / copying is slow and pita. usb otg much faster. also it would be great if there were an android app that would provide on ram userspace virtual space that other apps could use as normal storage and this app could mount network storage and handle the data transaction without using internal flash drive. would be cool.
Pages (2):

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post
05-29-2020, 02:01 PM
Last Post: deanhills
01-30-2018, 04:35 PM
Last Post: Conan

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting