arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows 7 Updates end on 14 January - what will you be doing?
I'm wondering whether there are still members like me who are using Windows 7.  As you all know, Microsoft will stop updates of Windows 7 from middle of this month - January 2020 - so obviously wants use of Windows 7 to stop.  For those who are on automatic updates very soon you will be receiving one of those pesky "pop-up" updates - in this case KB4493132 - which will display pop up notifications reminding end-of-life Windows 7 users to upgrade to Windows 10.  

I'm not on automatic updates as have been having issues with the updates from 2017 along the lines of serious conflicts.  Microsoft was then bundling the updates in one huge roll out every so many months and when my VPN stopped working as a result I had to turn the updates off.

Here's an article I found from TechRadar on what to expect and how to prepare and be prepared if you're still on Windows 7:
https://www.techradar.com/how-to/how-to-...nd-of-life

TechRadar recommends that use be discontinued:
Quote:The biggest issue with continuing to use Windows 7 is that it won't be patched for any new viruses or security problems once it enters End of Life, and this leaves you extremely vulnerable to any emerging threats.

What's more, if a large number of people continue to use Windows 7 after the End of Life date, that could actually be a big incentive for malicious users to target viruses and other nasties at WIndows 7.

So, while Windows 7 will continue to work after January 14 2020, you should start planning to upgrade to Windows 10, or an alternative operating system, as soon as possible.

So purpose of this thread is to figure out what the next step should be.  What will you be doing?  Will you be upgrading to Windows 10, or will you be moving into a Linux GUI direction?  And if it's Linux GUI, what distribution will you be using - or have been successfully using as an alternative for a while now?  My ideal would be to go into the Linux direction, but am concerned that some of my Microsoft software won't be working any longer.  Also I know for a fact some of my software will stop working with Windows 10.

Alternatively, can one find a free version of Windows 10? Any recommendations?
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  

Messages In This Thread
Windows 7 Updates end on 14 January - what will you be doing? - by deanhills - 01-01-2020, 05:21 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting