arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows 7 Updates end on 14 January - what will you be doing?
@Hidden Refuge
Thanks for the feedback!..

On the form.
I don't think I'm required to make any assumption about my readers. My usual attitude (and it won't gonna change) is that there is none. In other words, my posts' content conveys my understanding of things to the best of my knowledge and as I can formulate/express it (on the fly) at that particular moment. Besides, I'm writing for anybody with a browser who cares to read the stuff; be it from this community or just a guy sent here by our Google's folks.

I would guess that it should be you, as the official 'Tech Consultant' around here (as your profile suggest), who should take into consideration all the specifics related to this community's audience when replying to their queries. And I sympathize with you in that endeavour.. While I'm just a guy who popped up from no where to get a hosting. :-)

On the substance.
If I've read you correctly, you're suggesting the use of VirtualBox as an alternative to KVM, given that it can make use of VHD storage disks, thus avoiding the second conversion. Well, that's a possible solution, but not the best (as you agreed to it too.) KVM is the Best Virtualization solution on Linux (as I agree with RedHat in their attitude of considering it as a type-I hypervisor on Linux.)

I always prefer native solutions when they exist over third-party ones. Even on Windows, as of Win8.1/Win10, I no longer use VMWare or VirtualBox but rather go for M$'s own Hyper-V.

On the other hand, KVM virtualization isn't all that "scary" when a user is already familiar with the likes of VirualBox or VMWare. At least on RedHat systems (specifically Fedora in its default GNOME desktop environment), there is a virt-manager package that provides a GUI-frontend for virsh command-line (which is, as you know, the tool that interacts with the libvirt service/api.)

On Fedora 31, under 'System Tools', there is a 'Virtual Machine Manager' option (that's in-fact the link to virt-manager GUI-tool.) When clicked, a familiar interface shows up, where anyone ( and certainly that brave guy who took the challenge to migrate from Windows to Linux desktop) can setup a VM to his liking. Obviously, he will need help when doing that the first time (isn't that the way we've all learned this stuff?..)

Gnome desktop environment has also something called Boxes, specifically designed to simplify virtualization even further; see here for more.

Anyway, I may open threads about this whole virtualization and dockerization things down the road. I like to document things for me and others for an easily accessible online resources.

Thanks again for the feedback :-)
VirMach's Buffalo_VPS-9 Holder (Dec. 20 - July 21)
microLXC's Container Holder (july 20 - ?)
VirMach's Phoenix_VPS-9 Holder (Apr. 20 - June 20)
NanoKVM's NAT-VPS Holder (jan. 20 - ?)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Windows 7 Updates end on 14 January - what will you be doing? - by fChk - 01-02-2020, 06:42 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting