arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Member Cell Phone Brand and Specs
(06-20-2021, 03:37 PM)Kururin Wrote: The only thing I miss is the 5G functionality.
Thanks for your contribution @Kururin.  I'm curious.  What difference would 5G functionality make for you?

(06-21-2021, 04:31 AM)Littlemaster Wrote: Changing phones every year isn't a passion for me. I use things till the end. This device actually done things well.
I'm the same with this @Littlemaster.  Also brand owners who want to either build in an obsolescence factor or add bells and whistles or an OS so their customers would need to upgrade to new phones to me is unethical.  Dumping of phones that are still in perfect working order otherwise is very much environmentally unsustainable.

(06-21-2021, 10:50 AM)xdude Wrote: My S3 and S4 were great in their times, those should be since those are Samsung Flagship phones. But those phones are battery hogs. But I heard these battery problems got better with later versions like S6.
True.  If one checks out even the budget range of Samsung, i.e. A12, A20,21 etc most of the reviews have only good things to say about their battery life.  I'd imagine the current Samsung flagship models (that are completely out of my zone of affordability) must be even better.  Mind you most brand phones these days seem to be doing better with battery life than a couple or more years ago.  

(06-21-2021, 10:50 AM)xdude Wrote: So my current phone is an Xiaomi Redmi 9. 5 years ago I wouldn't even dream to have a Chiese model but things have changed a lot. Brands like Xiaomi and Huawe have focused on quality rather than quntity. I was going for a Huawei but new models lacking Google Play Store is a big issue for me. This is when I started  research about Xiaomi models.  I was supprised to see how long these guys have come from those cheap models. After checking price vs preformace I decided to Redmi 9 was the best option at that time in the market. Now After a year I haven't regret that decision. It's a good soild phone. Nothing fansy but It has lived up to my expectations.
 That is so true.  In South Africa in particular, where we have issues with lack of a great variety of models, China seems to be doing very well - in fact China is thriving in Africa - Xiaomi Redmi is very popular.  Huawei has been around for years and its budget models are much sought after.  Apple and Samsung are popular too although the flagship models are out of the range of most people price wise.  They're the only two non-Chinese brands of note in South Africa.  Apple has a very strong and loyal following particularly by professionals, and Samsung is most popular for its budget range phones which provide affordable quality.

(06-21-2021, 01:54 PM)debjit Wrote: I am using a Samsung s5.
It is an old 3g mobile phone and has all features I need. Wifi camera and a screen. I also have Jio Phone for any voice calls.
Samsung s5 specifications here https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s5-6033.php
I am thinking to buy a new phone in a couple of days. My s5 battery is lasting about 3hours for now, showing it's age.

Sounds like a great phone.  I was amazed last week when I tried my old 2g Nokia 1100 mobile phones as I thought that 2g would have been phased out by now. I last used the phones in 2018. I know that I won't be able to use the phones in Canada.  But they're still going strong in South Africa.  I'd even venture to say that quality of reception is better than 4g.

(06-21-2021, 02:50 PM)Mashiro Wrote: I have a Samsung Galaxy S10 (DUOS). DUOS simply stands for dual SIM. I have the European model with the Exynos 9820 CPU (I'd rather have the Snapdragon version), 8 GB of RAM and 128 GB of storage (I also added a 64 GB µSD). Running stock Samsung Android 11 with the latest available patches from Samsung and Google patch level.
Wow!  Those specs are to dream for.  I'd imagine though that it would be important for you to have a top level phone like this for work?  

(06-21-2021, 02:50 PM)Mashiro Wrote: The battery is probably too small for such a phone with the features that it has. On my usage it lasts about two days though.
That's amazing though.  2 days in my mobile experience with the Xperia and with your software sounds like great battery life.

(06-21-2021, 02:50 PM)Mashiro Wrote: Way to much Samsung bloatware installed that I cannot remove.
I found the same with my Xperia.  For me it's bloatware as well, with absolutely nothing positive to offer.  Not even a workable upgrade experience.

I didn't experience the same extreme of Xperia bloatware on my Samsung Galaxy S7 however.  What was annoying though was with Android in general (through good old Google) to have to spend hours turning off notifications and disabling apps selectively when I first started to use my Xperia cell phone.  The greater challenge being minimizing features that like to use air time like fixing location, that type of thing.  I had to go through an enormous learning curve fighting the invasion of these apps and air time gobbling features.  When I took out my old Nokia 1100 phones last week it just reminded me the invisible payments we're making in air time for the luxury of having a "smart" phone.  Seems like the SIM providers have found a neat way to work the SIM so it gets to raid air time.  Not to mention all of the spam that comes through.  And unethical practices of doing deals with third party games vendors through the SIM - I've heard of so many old people by accident clicking on games links that led to automatic charges.  Crazy times for sure to the equivalent of the Wild West of cell phones.
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  

Messages In This Thread
Member Cell Phone Brand and Specs - by deanhills - 06-20-2021, 03:02 PM
RE: Member Cell Phone Brand and Specs - by deanhills - 06-22-2021, 01:16 AM
RE: Member Cell Phone Brand and Specs - by xdude - 06-21-2021, 10:50 AM
RE: Member Cell Phone Brand and Specs - by debjit - 06-21-2021, 01:54 PM
RE: Member Cell Phone Brand and Specs - by sagher - 06-22-2021, 05:31 AM
RE: Member Cell Phone Brand and Specs - by tiwil - 06-22-2021, 07:03 AM
RE: Member Cell Phone Brand and Specs - by xdude - 06-22-2021, 10:28 AM
RE: Member Cell Phone Brand and Specs - by xdude - 06-26-2021, 05:07 PM
RE: Member Cell Phone Brand and Specs - by debjit - 06-26-2021, 05:52 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post
10-26-2019, 07:26 AM
Last Post: rudra

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting