arrow_upward

Poll: Do you recommend the use of Static Website Generators? If yes, which one do you recommend?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes. My choice is Jekyll
10.00%
Yes. My choice is Hugo
0%
Yes. I'm using a different one.
10.00%
No. I prefer the convenience of a Content Management System.
80.00%
Total
10 vote(s)
100%

* You voted for this item.

Pages (3):
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you recommend Static Website Generators - Hugo or Jekyll? Or another one?
I'm totally out of my depth on static website generators.  I am trying to learn more before I jump into it.  How easy is it to do? What are the pros and cons of using a static website generator? Is there any one here who is using a static website generator to generate blogs and blog posts?  Which generator are you using?  Tell us what your experiences are and if you are using a generator, which one you would recommend.

In my researches so far I've come across Hugo and Jekyll via YouTube.  As there are some good tutorials for them there.  Which one of the two would be better suited to a Linux VPS?  If you are using a different static website generator that you think is better for creating blog websites, tell us what your experience has been.

To open the discussion, I've found a YouTube video giving a more entertaining explanation of what static website generators are and what the experience of the user has been:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxxvzkgaiEo
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
@deanhills

That is a nice topic. I know some things owing to my wide grazings through greener pastures. hahaha

What are SSGs ?

In case of HTML sites, you write each page with code and content and ensure that the design (links, menu, look etc) is uniform. So for every new page, you need to copy-paste a lot of boilerplate codes. Now think of when you change something in design and need to update the boilerplate code on hundreds upon hundreds of pages.

In case of SSGs, the design part is separated in common files and you do it once. So basically SSGs use templating.

##Very important ##
The static site generator then uses the template definition files and the topic content files and makes all the static pages during deployment time. So when you add new page, you only generate those static pages by SSG but everytime you do some change in design, you need to recreate all the static pages by the generator. Though you do it when you want and not when a viewer requests, as in case of dynamic sites. But this means you have to ensure your update is complete before taking it live, or there might be inconsistencies from user perspective.

When browser requests a page from an SSG site, it gets a couple of static files very fast ( no server side rendering) and renders them on screen.

So in a way, SSGs are like an automated system to copy paste all your boilerplate coomon HTML codes to all of your static pages.

Static Site Generators (SSGs) are a compromise between handcoded HTML CSS sites and CMS or content management systems in an effort to get the benefits from both worlds. What benefits you might ask ?

Well, from HTML coded static site world,

(1) SPEED > html sites don't need access time rendering or compiling. They are static. So they can be distributed to servers or cdn edge servers(called caching*1*check note below) worldwide during deployment and that radically reduces TTFB or time to first byte. When a site is snappy in loading, it contributes greatly in user satisfaction and retention (search for statistics on how load time contributes to site success. It is more important than you might think).
Check this link for a test.
https://gettingthingstech.com/hugo-vs.-w...-its-dust/

*1* Dynamic sites can and often do caching too. In theory they are meant to generate each page when requested by the browser. But to enhance performance and reduce load, they cache many of the pages that change less often and thus configured to cache. When something changes, they just purge the cache and load the new version in cache.

(2) Need less Server resources > Html sites also require much less in terms or resource and so a similar spec server would serve many more simultaneous users when used to host html sites.

(3) Improved security > Highly improved security. Reduced surface of attack due to it being less complex and easier to maintain.

from CMS world,

(4) Easier management of page design and improved readabilty of the topic content files ( debatable ?).

I guess I won't have to explain why every site can not be static. You can not do it with sites showing news or say stock data or anything that involves fast changes and or requires user interactions for obvious reasons. Can Twitter or Facebook be static sites. LMFAO.
Dynamic sites were developed to handle these very things. To establish an efficient way to incorporate fast change in site content.

Now here are the problems with SSGs.

1) Steep learning curve > You need to be very knowledgeable. A web dev or more. Why ?

For example, these SSGs don't have established ways to check input before rendering. You can not enter whatever you want wherever you want on an wordpress site. It has fields with checks in place.
 You are responsible for everything you write down and you are the one who is making the designs and taking decisions in every case. So you need to know what you are doing.

2) Problem handling fast change and user interaction > Login , content restriction, collaboration, dynamic update are not things handled easily or at all by these sites.

3) Scaling > You can at most handle couple of hundred pages. For sites with thousands of pages, the whole process will just become too much.

Therefore,
If you want to do your small static sites with these, then great !!

I would choose something that uses Go (HUGO) or Javascript(NextJs or Gatsby). Also you might wanna start looking at Netlify (netlify.com) free tier and their docs and also resources at jamstac.org

staticgen.com can be used to find more on SSGs.

THANKS
Good Day !!
Sincere Thanks to VirMach for my VPS9. Also many thanks to Shadow Hosting and cubedata for the experiences I had with their VPSs.
I would suggest wordpress as an alternative. Why? It is very easy to use, a million themes to choose from and most user questions have been answered before so if theres a problem it can be solved easily, most of the time! I admit this is the first time Ive heard of static website generators but the learning curve sounds scary.
Are these similar to the website generators offered by godaddy and the like?
Well i agree with @PacPers, WordPress is very easy to use and have much pretty themes.
Also there is theme generators in some sites like GoDaddy and i think 1&1 have it too, im sure that 1freehosting have one as i was using it on my first website.
@kbartek I don't know about adobe dreamweaver but i know Wix which is a total shit tbh, bad designes and "Made by wix" credits while much sites like mobirise doesn't add the credits
I recommend Mobirise, you just set the design and it gives u html code
Please be reminded that the topic of this thread is:
Quote:Do you recommend Static Website Generators - Hugo or Jekyll? Or another one?

WordPress is NOT a Static Website Generator. Can we please stick with the topic, and particularly Hugo or Jekyll. I would prefer if only members knowledgeable of static Website Generators respond to this topic. If they have used Hugo or Jekyll I would be very grateful if they shared their experiences of using them, and which applications they used them.
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
I think I went on this topic before on a different thread. I cannot recommend jekyll more than I can. I have used it, and its so seamless that even I forget about that it exists. It has a huge community support behind it (duh made by github) and the themes and the amount of plugins are there is plenty so you wouldn't need to even worry about that. Its just you set it up once and forget about it. I know most people don't like to use ruby cause the gems can be a pain in arse sometimes but its not totally bad it completely doable and its so lightweight in my machine that you wouldn't even notice it. Unless you have like lots of image to load (even that can be mitigated by the optimization it offers). It can generate and re-generate website on fly so you change a file and boom its live next time you refresh your website. Overall, jekyll was a pleasure to use and I would even use it to this day.
No one knows what the future holds, that's why its potential is infinite
I have never used them directly but I have some of my friend that use it.
They told me that static website generator are very simple and easy to go on production FOR A PROJECT OF FEW PAGES, and if you need to update it you can just regenerate and overwrite all the existing files.

No maintenance required. Bare HTML and JS, good for small things but not suggested for site where you have to collect and elaborate data.
Thanks to Post4VPS and Bladenodefor VPS 14
Well TBH I'd really prefer a CMS than the hassle of these static website generators. I feel a generator is worthless unless you're trying to save time. You know, when you make something yourself, you really cherish having done that. Even if someone appreciates you for a website generated, you can't fully accept the credits, although you might pretend to.

In my choice, WordPress is the best among all the available CMSes. It serves well both for the purpose of a static website and a dynamic one. Providing a great interface for newbies to professionals, it's great software to make something yourself if you're not very confident of coding it yourself or whatever reasons. With this might, it's powering more than one-third of the websites on the public internet. It's my personal favorite. I'd recommend it to anyone and everyone. If you'd like to really save time, go for WordPress rather than any of those generators. Take my word, you'll love and cherish it much more than something that's generated.

Regards,
Sayan Bhattacharyya,

Heartiest thanks to Post4VPS and Virmach for my wonderful VPS 9!
Well, here’s my opinion on this topic:

The short answer would be, that it really depends on your use case!

If you’re planning to make a website that would require you to constantly update any sort of information or links on it, then using a static website generator would turn into an absolute hassle! You might be able to bare with it at the beginning, but it’ll turn into a daunting task sooner or later.

However, if you plan on making a site that wont require any changes on a frequent matter, then static website generators are definitely worth considering!

One I have used in the past and would highly recommend is zyro. It even lets you optimize your website for several screen sizes and device types!

In conclusion, it’s completely up to what YOU are planning to use the site for.
Thank you Post4VPS and VirMach for providing me with VPS9! But now it’s time to say farewell due to my studies.
Advantage of static
-hacker proof
-faster load

Disadvantage
-harder editing . One line of edit need whole recompile

For me i still prefer dynamic one . I still use php formy website and app backend
Terminal
humanpuff69@FPAX:~$ Thanks To Shadow Hosting And Post4VPS for VPS 5
Pages (3):

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post
02-18-2020, 04:27 PM
Last Post: ikk157
09-19-2018, 10:42 AM
Last Post: perry

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting