arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Edge vs Chrome
I have been a long-time user of Google Chrome and I have noticed slowness and a bit of freezing for a while now. It has happened in Windows 7 and It still happens in Windows 10. It doesn't freeze anymore but slowness is still there. Now You get Mircosoft Edge long with Windows 10 and I noticed it's faster and works pretty well. It's definitely by miles improved over old Internet Explorer. Also, they have plugins and pretty must most of the stuff you have in the Chrome app store.

Anyone here uses MS Edge for a while? How's your experience?

~ Be yourself everybody else is taken ~

@xdude  Only reason I have Internet Explorer is because of still having Microsoft Office.  Somehow it is needed.  But yes, since I'm still on Windows 7, in the rare occasion when I do open Internet Explorer, now that is an absolute dinosaur to the equivalent of pushing a wheelbarrow.  

Interesting that you should mention Chrome being slow.  I find the same on an intermittent basis.  Sometimes faster and sometimes slower.  But I agree, these must be the signs that one's OS is out of date.  Chrome and Edge (IE) are keeping up to date with Windows 10.  So I guess since these browsers on Windows 7 are updated all of the time, they're not being updated for Windows 7 but for Windows 10, with a real impact on the performance of Chrome and Firefox on Windows 7.  

When I experimented with Windows 10 a few months ago, Microsoft Edge was the first software I let go. I was worried about how intrusive it could be, but then when I look at Chrome these days, no one can be more intrusive with their special brand of cookies and dishonesty than Google. They're probably both villains on two sides of a coin, that is getting to me more irritating to me privacy wise. I've got the most awful ads pushed under my nose, even when I have pop ups disabled.

I'm looking for a browser that is better than Chrome and Edge. At least one can go into privacy mode that feels "private" in Firefox. Chrome also has an option with its icognito window but I'm wishing for a browser that is better on searches and protects me against the mass advertising I'm getting, even with the right buttons clicked in the settings and options to not get ads like that.
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
@xdude I have just recently tried Microsoft Edge for a whole.

Not on Windows platform though. I get it tried on my Android phone instead.

Overall, my experience with Microsoft Edge on Android is not bad. It does not seem to be faster than Google Chrome, but is definitely a good alternative if you do not like too many Google products on your Android phone. Smile

I'm using the Microsoft Edge based on Chromium since it has been made public as a standalone installer (long before the rollout through Windows updates or being shipped as default with new Windows versions).

It works great on Windows. Has pretty much all features you could need and access to all Chrome addons plus Microsoft has their own addon store for it. I have nothing that I could complain about. Well, almost. Chromium/Chrome and most likely most browsers based on the main source code are going towards making things like blocking advertising and tracking harder. You may remember that Google wanted to ditch ad block addons and similar addons a while ago but the community got very angry. They still haven't let go of that idea. Newer Chrome version have new code that introduced the first changes.

In fact I can tell that advertising filtering and such works much better with Firefox and µBlock Origin than on any Chromium based browser with µBlock Origin. Many other users of µBlock Origin reported the same. So the developers are indeed still pushing code changes that break ad and tracking blockers slowly.

Hence why I will be changing back to Firefox in the next long term run.
[Image: zHHqO5Q.png]
(04-29-2021, 05:25 AM)xdude Wrote: I have been a long-time user of Google Chrome and I have noticed slowness and a bit of freezing for a while now. It has happened in Windows 7 and It still happens in Windows 10. It doesn't freeze anymore but slowness is still there. Now You get Mircosoft Edge long with Windows 10 and I noticed it's faster and works pretty well. It's definitely by miles improved over old Internet Explorer. Also, they have plugins and pretty must most of the stuff you have in the Chrome app store.

Welp the only reason I have Edge on my PC is that Windows doesn't support its uninstallation natively and I am not much inclined towards messing up things on this machine. I did try out Edge yes it's a bit faster however I'm still good with Chrome neither slow nor freezing on my PC and more or less it works perfectly fine.
Sayan Bhattacharyya,

Heartiest thanks to Post4VPS and Virmach for my wonderful VPS 9!
(04-29-2021, 05:25 AM)xdude Wrote: I have been a long-time user of Google Chrome and I have noticed slowness and a bit of freezing for a while now. It has happened in Windows 7 and It still happens in Windows 10. It doesn't freeze anymore but slowness is still there. Now You get Mircosoft Edge long with Windows 10 and I noticed it's faster and works pretty well. It's definitely by miles improved over old Internet Explorer. Also, they have plugins and pretty must most of the stuff you have in the Chrome app store.

You didn't specify a Windows 10 version so I will talk about the two Edge separately:
  • Edge UWP based on EdgeEngine was the first revolution of Microsoft after Microsoft Internet Explorer. It was nice, powerful and very stable. Some particular features as PDF-reader e annotations was a huge hit that Chrome and Firefox didn't provide. It was fast and top score on HTMLTEST. Unfortunately the "add-on" system was not standard and a lot of developer didn't port their extension to it. It has been discontinued by Microsoft by the porting on Chromium.
  • Edge Chromium-based is the attempt of Microsoft to get their own browser, like they did with the first Edge, but with the pro of adapting to an already existing ecosystem with a lot of extension. Microsoft did a lot of contributions to the Chromium project and it is slowing implementing the special feautes of the first Edge such as PDF read and annotaiton. It is available for ALL the platform: macOS, Linux and Windows and it has the same UI for each of them!
As for now... According to me if you use Windows 10 there is only 2 choice:
  • Edge Chromium-based: it integrates with the OS, follows Windows 10 Design... why use Chrome? They are the same just a different data collector lol
  • Firefox, if you don't want to use a chromium based browser... firefox is the choice,
Thanks to Post4VPS and Bladenodefor VPS 14

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post
04-18-2020, 01:48 PM
Last Post: fChk

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting