arrow_upward

Pages (3):
Is There a Time Limit for Post Editing in this Forum ?
As the title suggests, is there a limit in time on which 2 consecutive posts won't be merged together as one?..

I'm under the impression that the forum doesn't have one. And I suspect that's on purpose to avoid users abusing their post counts. Well, that can perhaps make sense for those with a VPS and are struggling to meet their quota BUT not that much for the others.

I've repeatedly went through the unpleasant experience when doing a second (intentionally independent) post, even after 24 hours or so, to find out that it's merged with the preceding one.

Can you please fix this?
VirMach's Buffalo_VPS-9 Holder (Dec. 20 - July 21)
microLXC's Container Holder (july 20 - ?)
VirMach's Phoenix_VPS-9 Holder (Apr. 20 - June 20)
NanoKVM's NAT-VPS Holder (jan. 20 - ?)
@fChk I guess I don't have to tell you as you already know the rationale: double posts within minutes/hours of making them are usually against the forum rules of most forums and this is a tool from myBB to help avoid this from happening.  But I have to agree with you.  Some times there is a good reason for making consecutive posts even in the same time frame, because the discussion calls for it.  This usually happens to quality posters who are really into the discussion of the topic.

I checked and there is/was a time limit.  I've disabled it for now on a temporary experimental basis.  Let's see how it goes.  I can always manually merge double posts if called for - I don't expect many to be made.  However if I see a noticeable spike in double posting, I may need to reinstate the time limit.  If this should happen.  What in your opinion would be a reasonable time limit?
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
(04-01-2020, 02:27 PM)deanhills Wrote: I checked and there is/was a time limit.  I've disabled it for now on a temporary experimental basis.  Let's see how it goes.  I can always manually merge double posts if called for - I don't expect many to be made.  However if I see a noticeable spike in double posting, I may need to reinstate the time limit.  If this should happen.
The automatic merging is the problem as far as I'm concerned. The forum logic has either to accept the post as a new/independent post or refuse it.

I assumed that because the forum didn't set a time limit for post editing that's behind the auto-merging process (hence the title.)

(04-01-2020, 02:27 PM)deanhills Wrote: What in your opinion would be a reasonable time limit?
For the auto-merging, I would say 24 hours is quite fair. I don't do much posting anyway, but I don't like to trash my posts either. anyway, it's always nice to know what will happen when one clicks on the send button :-)

Thanks @deanhills!
VirMach's Buffalo_VPS-9 Holder (Dec. 20 - July 21)
microLXC's Container Holder (july 20 - ?)
VirMach's Phoenix_VPS-9 Holder (Apr. 20 - June 20)
NanoKVM's NAT-VPS Holder (jan. 20 - ?)
i thought auto merging when posted within a certain period from the time of the previous post was the option there.

24 hours might be a tad lengthy.

I think a better rule would be, if one is not editing the previous post to add, but doing a new post just after that, then they would be at the mercy of the moderators. That would be quite a good one.
Sincere Thanks to VirMach for my VPS9. Also many thanks to Shadow Hosting and cubedata for the experiences I had with their VPSs.
(04-01-2020, 03:43 PM)fChk Wrote: The automatic merging is the problem as far as I'm concerned. The forum logic has either to accept the post as a new/independent post or refuse it.
Automatic merging has been disabled for now.  I'd like to see a real case for enabling the automatic merging again, before I will enable it again. So for now there is no automatic merging any more. On an experimental basis.
(04-01-2020, 03:43 PM)fChk Wrote: For the auto-merging, I would say 24 hours is quite fair.
OK.  If there should be a need for enabling the auto merging again, 24 hours does seem to be a good call.
Terminal
Automatic Merge tool is quite useful against spam bots and multiple one line posts. I'm curious about how often you would post 2 back to back posts in same thread within lets say 24 hours ? I think this happened to me like once in a blue moon and I remember I even liked this Auto merge since I didn't have to edit the post and add content. The tool took care of it and there was a spacer between older content and fresh showing which is which. Apart from that only time I had to double post is when nobody has posted for week or 2.

~ Be yourself everybody else is taken ~

(04-01-2020, 02:27 PM)deanhills Wrote: @fChk I guess I don't have to tell you as you already know the rationale: double posts within minutes/hours of making them are usually against the forum rules of most forums and this is a tool from myBB to help avoid this from happening.  But I have to agree with you.  Some times there is a good reason for making consecutive posts even in the same time frame, because the discussion calls for it.  This usually happens to quality posters who are really into the discussion of the topic.

I checked and there is/was a time limit.  I've disabled it for now on a temporary experimental basis.  Let's see how it goes.  I can always manually merge double posts if called for - I don't expect many to be made.  However if I see a noticeable spike in double posting, I may need to reinstate the time limit.  If this should happen.  What in your opinion would be a reasonable time limit?

There are many situations where I actually want the auto-merging to take place. Take my VPS 3 review thread as an example. When I reply to several people, I don’t want to end up making several separate consecutive posts within minutes of each other. It’ll just end up becoming spammy.

And merging the posts manually on mobile is, well, a complete pain. 

I was thinking, how about a “post separately” button for those who don’t want their posts to be merged?
Thank you Post4VPS and VirMach for providing me with VPS9! But now it’s time to say farewell due to my studies.
(04-02-2020, 09:30 AM)ikk157 Wrote: Take my VPS 3 review thread as an example. When I reply to several people, I don’t want to end up making several separate consecutive posts within minutes of each other. It’ll just end up becoming spammy.
You could just mention several people in a single reply, instead of consecutive separate replies for each one. Also, if someone posts in between, I think yes absolutely fine to reply to that person in a separate reply as otherwise how'd you expect the merging to work. It'll end up in a mess.

(04-02-2020, 09:30 AM)ikk157 Wrote: I was thinking, how about a “post separately” button for those who don’t want their posts to be merged?
Unfortunately MyBB has nothing to offer for that purpose, neither inbuilt nor as a plug-in (except disabling the auto-merging system and setting a time limit). Hence, someone here will have to actually make it, and it wouldn't be so easy as far as I gather.

Regards,
Sayan Bhattacharyya,

Heartiest thanks to Post4VPS and Virmach for my wonderful VPS 9!
(04-02-2020, 02:00 AM)xdude Wrote: I'm curious about how often you would post 2 back to back posts in same thread within  lets say 24 hours ? I think this happened to me like once in a blue moon and I remember I even liked this Auto merge since I didn't have to edit the post and add content. The tool took care of it and there was a spacer between older content and fresh showing which is which. Apart from that only time I had to double post is when nobody has posted for week or 2.
I'm also curious to see how many back to back posts there will be @xdude.  Let's see what happens. I'll keep my eyes peeled.

I appreciate everyone's feedback as didn't realize there were members like yourself and @ikk157 who were actually using the automerge feature to your advantage.  Now that wasn't something I was aware off.

I agree with @sohamb03 however that it is quite easy to do all one's replies in one post.  And it is equally easy to edit one's post too.  That's how I usually do mine.
Terminal
(04-02-2020, 09:45 AM)sohamb03 Wrote: You could just mention several people in a single reply, instead of consecutive separate replies for each one. Also, if someone posts in between, I think yes absolutely fine to reply to that person in a separate reply as otherwise how'd you expect the merging to work. It'll end up in a mess.

Unfortunately MyBB has nothing to offer for that purpose, neither inbuilt nor as a plug-in (except disabling the auto-merging system and setting a time limit). Hence, someone here will have to actually make it, and it wouldn't be so easy as far as I gather.

Regards,

Mentioning them by itself won’t cut it. I want to quote their messages as well. And quoting their posts manually on mobile is .... as I’ve mentioned a lot of times by now .... an absolute nightmare.

Had it have been on PC, yes that would’ve been an option. But on mobile? Not a chance.

We can always try suggesting that as a feature or a plugin. You’d be surprised at how many times I’ve suggested improvements to software and the devs actually implemented such improvements. However, I’m not very familiar with mybb. So if the admins (or even anyone reading this) has the time and is willing to do so, please put it in as a suggestion.
Thank you Post4VPS and VirMach for providing me with VPS9! But now it’s time to say farewell due to my studies.
Pages (3):
lockThread Closed 

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post
06-19-2021, 05:15 PM
Last Post: deanhills
02-23-2020, 06:54 PM
Last Post: perry
06-14-2019, 03:36 PM
Last Post: Manal

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting