arrow_upward

Is There a Time Limit for Post Editing in this Forum ?
(04-02-2020, 01:25 PM)ikk157 Wrote: And quoting their posts manually on mobile is .... as I’ve mentioned a lot of times by now .... an absolute nightmare.

OK this feedback changes a lot for me @ikk157. You're not the only one using a mobile phone and I didn't think of this. How often do you find yourself in a situation like this?
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
(04-02-2020, 01:34 PM)deanhills Wrote: OK this feedback changes a lot for me @ikk157.  You're not the only one using a mobile phone and I didn't think of this.  How often do you find yourself in a situation like this?

Pretty much every time I try to reply to two different posts in the same thread.

Funny thing is, I’ve never visited post4vps from a pc before... it’s always been either on my iPhone for most of the times... and on rare occasions on my iPad.

That’s exactly why this is such a big deal in my case.
Thank you Post4VPS and VirMach for providing me with VPS9! But now it’s time to say farewell due to my studies.
OK @ikk157 and @xdude.  Looks as though I will need to reinstate the auto merge feature again as there is a good reason to do so.
Terminal
I would agree it would be better to enable 24-hour automatic merging even for now.

Because I see no reason for a normal user to make consecutive posts on the same thread within a 24-hour period.

Even the OP was just saying he did not expect automatic merging AFTER 24 hours or so.

(04-05-2020, 10:25 AM)tryp4vps Wrote: I would agree it would be better to enable 24-hour automatic merging even for now.

Because I see no reason for a normal user to make consecutive posts on the same thread within a 24-hour period.

Even the OP was just saying he did not expect automatic merging AFTER 24 hours or so.

I absolutely agree with the idea of setting the time limit for merging to 24 hours. 

However, it seems kinda unnecessary to keep those who want to separate their posts waiting for a full day to make the next post.

The most ideal way would be to have a button dedicated for that. Something like “post separately”.

But of course, achieving such a button won’t be easy as someone has to make a plugin for mybb that does just that. Hence why our options are very limited.
Thank you Post4VPS and VirMach for providing me with VPS9! But now it’s time to say farewell due to my studies.
(04-05-2020, 05:35 PM)ikk157 Wrote: I absolutely agree with the idea of setting the time limit for merging to 24 hours. 

However, it seems kinda unnecessary to keep those who want to separate their posts waiting for a full day to make the next post.

The most ideal way would be to have a button dedicated for that. Something like “post separately”.

But of course, achieving such a button won’t be easy as someone has to make a plugin for mybb that does just that. Hence why our options are very limited.

I actually doesn't agree about the idea of auto merging to 24 hours because those type of plugins that ain't stable and would effect the forum 

with certain bugs, and may effect other features so to be honest its recommended to use the original plugins that comes with this forum after 

install because they are pure plugins, and i also dean and dynamo doing a good job here controlling the forum and managing the post so the 

question is why we need such a plugins ? even we have got active admins , i even assume its unnecessary.
Watch this beauty till the end..

(04-05-2020, 10:20 PM)Melvin Wrote: I actually doesn't agree about the idea of auto merging to 24 hours because those type of plugins that ain't stable and would effect the forum 

with certain bugs, and may effect other features so to be honest its recommended to use the original plugins that comes with this forum after 

install because they are pure plugins, and i also dean and dynamo doing a good job here controlling the forum and managing the post so the 

question is why we need such a plugins ? even we have got active admins , i even assume its unnecessary.

Actually @Melvin. It is part of the posts configuration in Admin Panel. It isn't a plugin.

As previously mentioned, there were really good arguments put forward in favour of auto-merging. We are on auto-merging for now.

@fChk, if you want to re-open the thread for further discussion, please PM me. For now I am closing the thread.
Terminal
(04-06-2020, 01:44 AM)deanhills Wrote: (....)
As previously mentioned, there were really good arguments put forward in favour of auto-merging.  We are on auto-merging for now.

@fChk, if you want to re-open the thread for further discussion, please PM me.  For now I am closing the thread.
Thanks for reopening this!

As far as I can see (reading from where I've left this conversation), there is an instance where auto-merging seems to be a positive feature, ie:
> on mobiles generally, and specifically when responding to multiple posts in the same thread

Both instances can still be met if auto-merging is enabled but capped at a certain time limit. In my last post here, I did suggest a 24 hours cap beyond which auto-merging should no longer be triggered. If that still is too short for some people here then what time frame are you proposing?..

Keeping auto-merging without a time-cap is a really nasty feature, that will end up being counter-productive for my posting habits in the long run. Again, I've no problem with it being ON. But if it's ON, it should have a time limit and I'm not too picky about that either: any time-cap should do the trick as far as I'm concerned.

An all-OFF or all-ON isn't a solution as it seems, so, please guys, let's us agree on a time-cap to get everyone on-board with this!..

Thanks!
VirMach's Buffalo_VPS-9 Holder (Dec. 20 - July 21)
microLXC's Container Holder (july 20 - ?)
VirMach's Phoenix_VPS-9 Holder (Apr. 20 - June 20)
NanoKVM's NAT-VPS Holder (jan. 20 - ?)
Actually @fChk - not sure where the misunderstanding occurred, but post4vps was on auto-merging with a time limit at the time when you asked me to re-open this discussion.  I didn't mention the time limit in my closing post, but I did say it was on auto-merging.  

The auto-merge configuration option of myBB has to have a time limit on it, or auto-merging will then be disabled by default. 0 or empty is default for auto merging turned off. Guess the developers had your caution in mind when they designed this option. The limit on it previously was 3600 minutes = 60 hours = 2.5 days.  I've now set it to 24 hours = 1 day. I think 2.5 days are better though.  But am keen to come to a resolution in this.

[Image: 4NTHNy1.png]
Terminal
(05-15-2020, 07:32 AM)deanhills Wrote: The auto-merge configuration option of myBB has to have a time limit on it, or auto-merging will then be disabled by default. 0 or empty is default for auto merging turned off. Guess the developers had your caution in mind when they designed this option. The limit on it previously was 3600 minutes = 60 hours = 2.5 days.  I've now set it to 24 hours = 1 day. I think 2.5 days are better though.  But am keen to come to a resolution in this.
If it was always there when it's ON then it wasn't working for me! That much I can say. The only time it did work was when it was off.

Anyway, just did a test and things seem to work. For the time-cap, 24hours or 2.5 days are both okay. The important things is its existence and that we know which one is enforced, to avoid the upsetting result of unexpected mergers.

Thanks a lot @deanhills!
VirMach's Buffalo_VPS-9 Holder (Dec. 20 - July 21)
microLXC's Container Holder (july 20 - ?)
VirMach's Phoenix_VPS-9 Holder (Apr. 20 - June 20)
NanoKVM's NAT-VPS Holder (jan. 20 - ?)
lockThread Closed 

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post
06-19-2021, 05:15 PM
Last Post: deanhills
02-23-2020, 06:54 PM
Last Post: perry
06-14-2019, 03:36 PM
Last Post: Manal

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting