arrow_upward

Pages (3):
Lack of quality content, member contributions and interest (state of the community)
(06-17-2019, 11:30 AM)xdude Wrote: @tryp4vps

Problem happens when a high end new vps become available. when inactive members with big scores simply come out of no where and apply for these its unfair for those active members with smaller score. I guess then it should be like among applicants priority should be given to active members.

Those inactive members would not come out of no where and had still contributed to this forum in the past.

I would doubt if their past contributions should be of less valuable than the contributions from the recently-active members with smaller score.

For me, contributions are contributions. It is all about fairness.

In fact, there were quite some good members who are inactive right now. I would rather see them coming back, and do not want additional rules discouraging them to do so.

Another point if I may add. I am a college student who's studying for Physician Assistant. It's a really rigorous course and doing all the lab work and the class work + homework eats up most of my time. And then being a broke ass student I need a job, which I have to attend in top of those rigorous academics. Now you may say then why do you even try to get a VPS? I am fed up with my health background and want to explore things in IT direction. I might need a VPS or two to test out stuff and see how things work. That's why to save money I apply for free VPS in Post4VPS. I try to make a quality post but it may not end up toward a good quality because of my time constraints. I am hugely grateful for that what have Post4VPS offered and it's administration since they are understanding and accommodating toward my situation. Especially @deanhills
No one knows what the future holds, that's why its potential is infinite
(06-18-2019, 08:05 AM)tryp4vps Wrote: Those inactive members would not come out of no where and had still contributed to this forum in the past.

I would doubt if their past contributions should be of less valuable than the contributions from the recently-active members with smaller score.

For me, contributions are contributions. It is all about fairness.

In fact, there were quite some good members who are inactive right now. I would rather see them coming back, and do not want additional rules discouraging them to do so.

But it need to be balanced. Just because some people were highly active in past the whole forum can't live in past. Forums survive on present. No matter how great or how active a forum is in past it doesn't matter if its an grave yard on present. So we need to give some sort of boost for present active members. Regardless they are new members or old members. As a post to host forum most past members had rewarded for their contribution by having best servers of their time. Posts are like a rent we pay instead of money. So anyone who has been absent come back and do bit of posting and then request for a server. or just get a vps which usually left out in give ways till the person have enough posts again.

I think it's quite fair for everyone. Even for me. I have about 3k credits. I vanish from here and then appear just when great high end vps add to the forum, a server all present members want. If I comes out of no where after several months and claim it would look bad.

~ Be yourself everybody else is taken ~

A few notes of my personal point of view.

I don't really post here much because it is a substantial investment of time and I don't have any great interest in having a vps at this time. However, in the past I was active in a few p2h communities which were very beneficial to me: I learned a lot. I also appreciate that this is the last surviving p2h where one can get a vps, and I would hate to see it go. In the interest of preserving the community for the future I thought I would chip in a few thoughts and ideas.

To me, the quality of a post should count more than the number. If a member spends 10 hours writing a great tutorial that brings in traffic and new members, isn't that better than someone who spends 10 minutes on a paragraph every day saying nothing innovative or greatly useful? I think most people would agree. Yet under the current system, the latter wins the vps and the former stops posting because no one has that much time.

How to track the points? With limited staff and no ready made automation to grade posts, it seems impossible. However, if I'm reading correctly, there are unclaimed vps around. Why not ask a qualified volunteer or 2 or 3 to grade posts in their area of expertise in exchange for a good vps? And use this grading to determine who wins the giveaways rather than post count/word count.

I saw someone mention the idea of partnering with other sites: I think this is a good idea, but I'll take it one step further. In addition to post count, you could also have people post on other forums/social networks about p4vps for points towards vps. How to manage it? See above paragraph.

So much discussion on post/activity requirements and is it fair... My take on it: less desirable vps should be easier to get than the better ones. Keep the best vps hard to get.

I wonder if you could work it out with sponsors to get smaller vps for newer members, like after 5 posts you can get vps with few ip6 ips or ip4 with a few ports only, 500mb ram/disc and 5gb data. It would be not practical for any large production but could be very suitable for someone new to learn on.

Lastly I want to say this as an expression of my opinion only. Some may disagree and that's ok. To make the community flourish you need more than clever scripts and moderating. What you need is for people who love the community to put in time and effort out of love. Nothing worth having comes easy and you can only get out what you put in. There is no amount of automation that can make the difference of one person who cares.

I hope these comments are well received and have not offended anyone. My only intent is to offer some food for thought.

Good day to you all. See ya round the milk bowl.
@fitkoh  Thank you for your feedback and suggestions.  I think there was a movie once about who looks after the watchers.  Like ultimately when you start a system of "graders", there has to be one who monitors that.  And that is only one half of it.  Since there is so much subjectivity involved in "grading" posts, imagine the discussion that is going to come out of that from the user in forms of complaints and disputes.  Although a great idea, I think it's not feasible in this community.  

Our members here aren't all great at English.   Which in my book has never been a problem.  Unless there is no effort involved in the communication.  Like if someone tries their best, within their limitations, to contribute something, even though the outcome to your more experienced user doesn't look that great, I still think there is merit, whereas a "grading" system would nix it.  This is not just a collection of posts we are talking about here but a community of contributors who are all special in their own right.  Like the total package is what counts for me all according to their best efforts as well as their continued loyalty to the Forum.  Some efforts will be better than others.  The ones I am strict with are contributors who you can see are putting no effort in their posts, or who are copying and pasting from other parts of the Web without credit to the author - plagiarism.  Those two I feel very unsympathetic with.  But for those who are trying, I always look upon them as writing with an accent.  And who knows, if they are encouraged and motivated, they will get better at writing.

I'm looking at Frihost.com that had been around for 10 years before it went down.  There were some fantastic contributors towards the end of the Forum who when they had started those many years ago, had delivered poor posts because they'd been struggling.  They had been encouraged to keep on posting.  I think this could be attributed to a mix of quality contributors whom they were trying to emulate, but also members around them who were giving them the space to improve.

I think the system we have now is already strict, perhaps sometimes too strict.  I saw freevps.us go down because of very strict rules and even stricter implementation of the rules by the staff.  Some of the new members were discouraged to contribute even before they started to make posts.

What attracted me to post4vps here is the nice atmosphere and more empathy and sympathy with existing and new members.  There are still rules in place of course, and we do have to have them when there is a competition for points, but they probably are OK.  In my book anyway.

Furthermore, we already have a valuable system of vetting by quality members of the Forum by doing reports.  So if you see any posts that you think are suspicious, or shouldn't be in a certain Forum or are breaking the rules, you can help by hitting the report tool.  That kind of help, and also helping new members who have special requests and needs once they've got their VPS, I think rank in importance.  It's also noticeable that those quality "helpers" are also quality posters, who through reputation ranking points by those who had received their assistance and quality post points are in a much better position to get the better VPSs.

With regards to "unused VPSs", I think you should have a look at @Dynamo (the owner's) comment on that.  I don't think that is a workable solution. Although it may look as though we have many VPSs, only a small number of those VPSs are of the specs members want to compete for.  So if new members should join, if there were very few to compete for of lesser quality, they may not be motivated to stick around.  Also Dynamo explained that there aren't really "unused" VPSs.  In most of the accounts, once a member returns his VPS it is terminated.  A "new VPS" is recreated when applied for.  There are exceptions to these, but there may be less "unusued" VPSs than what the eye sees.  Dynamo puts it much better than I do below.   

https://post4vps.com/Thread-VPS-Giveaway...7#pid23717

Dynamo Wrote:Currently 2 VPS per user policy cannot be implemented at Post4VPS Forum.
The reasons are obvious, there are very less VPSs available in total to do that specially when we need more active users,
If we implement the policy now then chances of getting a nice VPS for new user will decrease very much, their options( to choose from ) would also get lowered down and it will discourage them to even participate.

And just to let you guys known, most of the vpses are being created in real time, which means that there is no resource wastage when no user applies for it.

Currently there are Around 31 VPSs available for users which means there can be total 31 VPS Holders possible for current situation which I don't think is a huge number.

Offtopic:
From my point of view, I guess this is one of the reasons why FreeVPS.us got failed,
Personally I too had to try hard to get a nice VPS from there after loosing my older VPS(when one of there sponsor closed their company) though I was average poster there.
And I personally don't want same to be happened here.

Lastly, it also will increase the workload of the giveaway manager, and it appears, currently @perryoo11 himself is getting less time to invest here(and by looking at our work, I guess it's obvious reason).

It's very early for us to implement 2 VPSs per User feature (keeping some constraints) for now.
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
Pages (3):

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting